Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a sweet little accessory that I know a lot us of would use if we could find it at a reasonable price. It's called the Mini Add-A-Circuit from Littelfuse. It allows you to add a circuit on the fusebox, at an existing fuse position, by just plugging it in and adding the appropriate fuse for the accessory you're installing.

The reason I mentioned price is that the cheapest I could find it for was $9! I agree that it adds a lot of convenience to wiring, but $9? That was at Murray's Auto. K-Mart wanted $10 for it. I'd really like to find a cheaper source.

Toyman, I searched your site (and many others) and didn't see the Add-A-Circuit. Is it something you could or would carry? Hopefully at a better price?

I put some pics of it under "Add-A-Circuit" in my album.

------------------
Chuck
Click here for Ody pics, mods and fixes.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Chuck
Looks like an item we need to stock up on! Exactly what we need for adding aftermarket devices that require 12V's. Keep us posted if you find a better price.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
AMEN! It's really handy and does a neat, professional job if only we can lick that price problem. Oh, well. Hmmmm.... maybe toyman....

------------------
Chuck

·
Registered
139 Posts
Chuck
Really like your suggestion to Jim about linking our web site photo albums to either the gallery or tech section. Would save a lot of searching when you are looking for a DIY photo tutorial. Yours are great and very helpful!

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. I enjoy doing them.
I also like looking at everyone else's, but they're hard to find sometimes. Jim likes the idea, too, and is going to set something up.

------------------
Chuck

·
Registered
255 Posts
When I first got my '94 Chevy K1500, I started adding all sorts of electrical gizmos to it (cell phone charger; two rechargeable flashlights; scanner; etc., etc.). I soon got very concerned about "overdoing" it on the factory fuseblock. (Plus; the factory fuseblock soon looked like something Jethro installed on that jalopy the Clampitts drove to Beverly Hills.) I started looking around and found this outfit online: http://painlesswiring.com/

They have some really neat products to help solve accessory wiring problems. I got an auxiliary fuse block from them, installed it on the bottom side of the steering column with some zip ties, and ran a large power lead from it direct to my auxiliary battery. I hooked up all my extras to the auxiliary block. Now I can run all my extras with the engine off and not worry about running down the main battery. Check out their site; they've got lots of other goodies, too.

------------------
David
'01 GG EX-NAVI
Classic Soft Trim leather kit; Audiovox entertainment system; Gentex auto dimming compass/temp rear view mirror; splash guards; cargo tray; power door mods; Helm manual; Honda litter bag.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That sounds like a good idea. I just ordered their catalog. Thanx.

------------------
Chuck

·
Registered
910 Posts
Hey, just curious, can I pull out a fuse from the fuse block, stick the positive wire from the ECT Mirror and stick the fuse back in, will that work ?
( Don't laugh at me for being stupid
)

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, that works. That's basically what I was doing. You have to be sure you're on the fused side or there will be no protection for the new accessory. Also you are potentially loading up the single fuse you're tapping. The advantage of the Add-A-Circuit is the new accessory will have it's own fuse of proper value without overloading the other fuse.

------------------
Chuck

·
Registered
255 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by lookinco:
Hey, just curious, can I pull out a fuse from the fuse block, stick the positive wire from the ECT Mirror and stick the fuse back in, will that work ? </font>
Sure it will work - but see my previous post about the Clampittmobile.
That's why I recommend adding a separate auxiliary fuse block - that way you can add all sorts of electrical gizmos with their own, separately fused circuits and not have to tap into your factory circuits.

------------------
David
'01 GG EX-NAVI
Classic Soft Trim leather kit; Audiovox entertainment system; Gentex auto dimming compass/temp rear view mirror; splash guards; cargo tray; power door mods; Helm manual; Honda litter bag.

·
Registered
910 Posts
OKAY ! Great ! So it actually works ! hum...then can you guys tell me which side is the fuse side ? coz i want to get power for my indiglo gauge whenever i turn on the side markers. I guess (hope) the indiglo gauge will not overload the fuse.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OKAY ! Great ! So it actually works ! hum...then can you guys tell me which side is the fuse side ? </font>
Sure. Pull the fuse out of the holder. Now check for 12v at the slots where the blades of the fuse plug in. The one that has 12v present without the fuse plugged in is the hot side. It is NOT the side you want to tap into since blowing the fuse wouldn't drop power to the accessory. Tap into the side that has 0v with the fuse removed, but be aware that the fuse now has to support the load of the original circuit plus the new accessory.

Groupset's suggestion to add an auxilliary fuse panel is a good one if you are going to add many new circuits, or the Add-A-Circuit is good if you're only going to add a couple.

------------------
Chuck

·
Registered
910 Posts
I guess this will be the only thing I need to wire from the fuse box. For ther other accessories, I took power directly from the battery and have them controlled by a main switch. But anyways, thanks a lot for you guys' help !

·
Registered
910 Posts
OH NO ! wait, so are there a fuse for each wire plugged into the fuse box ? Or are there a fuse for a group of wires ? My other friends told me to tap into the side marker wires from the fuse box but I don't want to cut any wires, so I thought about the fuse idea.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OH NO ! wait, so are there a fuse for each wire plugged into the fuse box ? Or are there a fuse for a group of wires ? My other friends told me to tap into the side marker wires from the fuse box but I don't want to cut any wires, so I thought about the fuse idea.

</font>
I'm not sure I understand your question.

All accessories in a car are protected by some kind of fuse device and most pass through one of the fuse boxes, allowing the kind of access to a fuse leg you were asking about. It wouldn't usually be necessary to physycally cut into any of the circuits to power an accessory.

What your friends probably meant was to use a Scotch-Lok to tap the power from one of the wires in that circuit, but that doesn't require cutting the wires and then you still have to add a fuse.

If I didn't answer your question, rephrase it and we'll try again. Good luck.

------------------
Chuck

·
Registered
910 Posts
okay.....let's simplify the question. So every signle fuse will have a constant 12v on one leg and 0v leg on the other side ?

Or will certain fuse becomes hot when for example the headlights switch are on ?

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
okay.....let's simplify the question. So every signle fuse will have a constant 12v on one leg and 0v leg on the other side ?

Or will certain fuse becomes hot when for example the headlights switch are on ?
</font>
I'm still not sure whether we're distinguishing between "fuses" and "circuits". It's hard to make sure we're talking about the same thing so let's state some conditions:

1. The circuit is complete.
2. Power is applied to the circuit by having the switch(es) turned on.
3. The fuse has been REMOVED from the circuit.

When the above conditions are met, the two sides of the empty fuse holder will have 12v and 0v respectively when read with a meter or test light.

If you wanted to tap into the circuit at this point, you'd want to tap into the 0v side so that when the fuse was reinstalled, the fuse would be supplying voltage to the new tapped circuit which would then be protected by the fuse.

This is a fairly reliable way to tap circuits as long as the accessories you're adding to the circuit are low amperage devices, i.e. a radar detector or ECT mirror. If you wanted to add, say a cigarette lighter, you'd probably overload the circuit you tapped into.

------------------
Chuck

[This message has been edited by ckonarske (edited 06-18-2001).]

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hmm. That site is great. I just ordered a catalog as well.

Their CirKit Boss product looks like exactly what I've been looking for!

------------------
'01 DEP EX in Fairview Park, Ohio
Click here for pics.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Ok boys. Calm down.

Let me give you the facts.

The add a circuit little were commonly used in a LOT of CELLULAR phone installs in the 1980s. We had a lot of people coming into the shop asking us why their radios didnt work, this didnt work, etc etc.

It was always traced back to the FUSE TAPS.
What these little buggers do is that they enlarge your fuse holder just that much so that it will fit with the fuse.

Did you notice how nicely those little ATC fuses fit in your car? Thats planned. When you tap into it, the hole gets bigger and then that 18 gauge wire tangling with each bump will keep it moving - it will enlarge and you will lose contact sometime in the future.

Besides, tap off the radio circuit or the lighter circuit (its only a few screws to get the radio out), these are circuits which do not affect the rest of the car. It only affects the domelight and the radio, (read SAFE!) -

If you guys are interested, we can probably sell them by the 10 pack for $3-$5.00 or $.50 cents each. We don't stock them but can get them in 3 days and add it to our product lineup.

Personally, I am bias towards them.

I favor T-taps to the wire.

------------------

Here to help

[This message has been edited by toyman (edited 06-26-2001).]

1 - 20 of 27 Posts