Honda Odyssey Forum banner

Add blind spot mirrors?

• Yes, it will be helpful

Votes: 7 100.0%
  • No, you don't need it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe (comment and expound)

Votes: 0 0.0%

Add Blind Spot Mirrors to new-to-me 2018 van?

2K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Blue Crab 
#1 ·
My last car had Blind Spot Mirrors that I used ALL the time. (changing lanes, parking, being aware of traffic around me, etc.) New van has the blind spot monitoring with the little lights that turn on when a car is in blind spot. Since I used my blind spot mirrors for other things I am thinking about getting those little adhesive mirrors to add to my mirrors. Just wondering if anyone else has added blind spot mirrors? Should I go ahead and do it since I am so used to them? If so, then any recommendations on which ones to get?

#2 ·
It can't hurt to get them. Just make sure that you don't cover the blind spot monitoring sensor (I'm not sure if that's even located on the mirror) or indicator.

I'd suggest try driving around a few months without them and see if you find the blind spot monitoring system to be an adequate substitute. You can always add the little mirrors in later. Often these things take awhile to adjust to.

#3 ·
I added those the weekend I purchased the van. I use those mirrors to gauge my rear wheel-to-curb distance. Since I have been used to those mirrors on my Ridgeline for 8 months, it was second nature to use them.
I got the cheap $2 ones from Walmart.

#7 ·
I use those mirrors to gauge my rear wheel-to-curb distance.
I've always used blind spot mirrors, but never thought of that use for them. Great idea. I was going to skip the blind spot mirrrors this time around because I find the blind spot sensor to be much more effective. Now you have me rethinking this.

I remember seeing some that, instead of a circle or wedge, they were a sliver that ran across the bottom of the mirror. I'm going to see if I can find those again.

#6 ·
If you look at the rear view mirror, there is a light sensor on the bottom (glare sensor) and a forward facing sensor (in some cases) that detect ambient light. Combination of the sensors and the dimming controller programming specific to vehicles, the mirror (if feature is turned on) will automatically dim.

#5 ·
It's one of the first things I do to a vehicle. When I've gone on trips where I had a temp vehicle, long-term, (6+ months) I've taken a set with me to install.

#8 ·
Question for those of you that use them. I bought some rectangle ones a few months back but never got around to installing them. They're sitting in my basement.

The main reason I bought them was because there is a slight blind spot on the driver side, important mostly when merging onto highways, due to that mirror not being convex. The passenger mirror is convex. Any suggestions on whether I should install the driver side on the upper outer corner, or lower outer corner?

I was thinking about putting the other one on the passenger side, also to gauge the wheel-to-curb distance, since I've heard of many people doing that. Should I be putting this one in the lower inner corner? Upper inner corner? Outer corner?

I have an older '07, so no blind spot monitoring lights or sensors to get in the way.

#9 ·
@jiantao , the location of the blindspot mirrors on the actual side mirrors is a personal choice. For me, in my '08 Accord, the blindspot mirror was on the top outer corner. In my Ridgeline, it is on the top outer corner, in my G5, it is also on the top outer corner. In the TL, I placed it on the bottom outer corner and I hate it.

The reason is because of how I have to move my eye balls; the mirrors are not on the same line-of-sight (horizontally). it is a tough one as I do have to consciously tilt my head down to see the blindspot mirror.

I recommend the location that is both natural and less of a strain for you. You can place it inboard, outboard, top, or bottom, but it needs to be where you feel useful.

My understanding is that anything electronic can fail or malfunction. God gave me eyes and I will use them as I should, regardless of what nannies I am provided with. As the vehicle mfgs state, these driver aids are only supplementary; primary safe operation comes from the person behind the wheel.

#10 ·
Do you place the driver and passenger blind spot mirrors in the same spot? I was thinking top outer corner for the driver side as well, but wasn't sure if inboard/outboard makes a difference for the passenger side one if its primary purpose is for parallel parking.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.