Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,312 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
yeah, it's possible.. but it'll be quite some work to modify/change to your dash layout.. It'll be easier (may not be better) to go for some aftermarket navi

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks.
I looked at some of nestor's posts ont he Navi conversion and it looks far too involved for my tastes. I think a better option for me would be to trade my non-navi for a navi equipped ody. btw: what's the price for all the hardware needed to do the conversion?

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 2001aRoadOdyssey:
Thanks.
I looked at some of nestor's posts ont he Navi conversion and it looks far too involved for my tastes. I think a better option for me would be to trade my non-navi for a navi equipped ody. btw: what's the price for all the hardware needed to do the conversion?
</font>
I don't think Nestor's ever said how much he has invested in the job. He's also never said whether he'd do it again. For that matter, he may still have one item that's not working yet, so the job may not be complete even now.

I'm sure he's learned things about his Ody that the rest of us don't even want to know. Nestor? Fill us in.

------------------
Chuck
Click here for Ody pics, mods and fixes on FotoTime.

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
Thanks.
</font>
I remember reading in Nestor's posts that he mentioned that it cost him about the $2K (price delta b/w navi and non-navi) to do the conversion. This was after getting the navi unit on ebay for a good deal, and working with Trevor to get alot of the other parts. I think he also said something to the effect that he wouldn't do it again, knowing what he knows now.

That pic with the dash disassembled, geez, that's amazing...
-SJ

------------------
DEP '01 EX no-navi

·
1,484 Posts
A while ago I won an auction on ebay for the Honda DVD-ROM unit, Display unit, and Sub harness ($1600). Now there was other stuff that I needed that I DIDN'T KNOW I needed until later on. Lucky for me the guy who auctioned the stuff off worked at a junkyard and was able to get me MOST of the other stuff I needed for a good price (about $100 for everything). The only thing I couldn't really get from him was the 2 huge wiring harness clusters. So I had to special ordered them from Handa ($300). That came to about $2000. The same price difference between an EX and EX-NAVI! Go figure...

Yes, there is still 1 area I can't seem to get to work. Pretty much everything else works except the switching of the screen with the step by step voice instructions. Now the question is "would I do it again?" Depends...if I can finally get that last part to work! Then maybe? But for now...HECK NO!!!

-Nestor

------------------

2000 CCS EX-NAVI

[This message has been edited by nemogira (edited 10-17-2001).]

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You win points in my book for your can-do attitude however I think you have proved that this is not a cost effective upgrade for me.
btw:I hope you find the solution to your screen switching problem soon (perhaps it's somthing in the software?).

·
1,484 Posts
You win points in my book for your can-do attitude however I think you have proved that this is not a cost effective upgrade for me.
btw:I hope you find the solution to your screen switching problem soon (perhaps it's somthing in the software?).
</font>
Thanks!

-Nestor

------------------

2000 CCS EX-NAVI

·
Registered
365 Posts
After reading this thread, I was wondering if it would be possible to get the navi dash w/screen and put it into the ex-l res? I don't want to make it into a navi, just to play the movies up front. I want it to look clean, without adding an aftermarket screen. Any comments?

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Anything is possible, how much money do you have???

The Navi screen takes RGB inputs, so you will need a converter. The back-up camera option has this, and a couple folks here have put switches in to select camera or video source. Do a search....

Personally, I bet you can do a pop-out screen a BUNCH less than using a Navi screen, and it will probably look better and be a whole lot easier. I bet my sunvisor mod is easier than putting a Navi screen in after looking at Nestor's pics!

·
Registered
365 Posts
Thanks. I work at a Honda dealer so the parts shouldn't be a problem. I was just thinking about it. I know an aftermarket monitor will be alot cheaper and easier, but for the flip out, there is no room for another deck in the dash (EX-L RES). I was thinking of the sunvisors. Do you have any pics of your sunvisor mods? LMK. My idea won't work anyway. The RES deck is a double din, so it takes up the same amount of space as the navi screen. OH well....... I guess I'll have to use the visors. Anyone got ideas for them? Pics?

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
I work at a Honda dealer so the parts shouldn't be a problem.
For the DVD I-VES, Honda now has the parts neccessary to replace the dash cupholder with a DVD player or ony single DIN sized unit. Bet you could use these to install a DIN-sized dash mounted screen (I think the parts were only about $30). Might be a little low, though. There are threads with part numbers around here somewhere, I will try to provide the link later...

Search for "Adding second screen to RES" thread to see pics of my FES set-up. I noticed on ebay you can buy a visor with screen already mounted instead of using the Ody visor. When not driving, the driver can recline his seat and get a pretty good view. The passenger view is great. I seriously considered putting the screen in the dash below the passenger airbag and above the glove box. If it did not involve tearing up a large dash piece, I probably would have done it. A wide 5" screen is plenty big enough, my 7" is almost overkill....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts