Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Ody EX
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I attached small blind spot convex mirrors to both of the stock side mirrors to help with parking our 2019 Ody EX. Adjusted the mirrors to face down toward the ground. Been using them for 7 months and they have been a great help to center our Ody between parking lines. Also to get just the right distance from the curb when parking on the street.

Here's a link to the mirrors I bought from Amazon:

I attached one mirror to the top left corner of the side mirror on the driver's side . One to the upper right corner on the passenger side. They haven't bothered me with viewing rear traffic while driving for the last 7 months.

There are 4 mirrors in package. Used two mirrors and kept the other two for spares.

Since the EX trim doesn't have the "side mirror down" feature, these mirrors have been the next best thing.

Raptor88

·
Registered
2007 Odyssey EX-L
1,902 Posts
Interesting. I bought very similar mirrors about 2 years ago shortly after I bought the Odyssey, but never got around to installing them. Originally, I was going to put one on the upper outer corner of the driver mirror like you, and was thinking about putting one in the lower inner corner of the passenger mirror. But I thought that the passenger one might block some needed visibility on the mirror, and it's so far away that it might be distracting.

When I bought my '01 Camry used, it came with one of the round mirrors in the outer lower corner of the passenger mirror. It's still there, I never took it off, but I also never look at it. That's why I thought the inner corner might be better. I found that the outer corner is so far away and it's so distracting to look specifically at it when changing lanes. Maybe it's also not angled low enough to be helpful when parking, either, so I've found it kind of useless.

I also had a Mazda CX-9 that had add on mirrors on both passenger and driver side, both were inner corner. I hated the passenger one especially, made it very difficult to see everything on the normal mirror when changing lanes.

·
Registered
2019 Ody EX
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interesting. I bought very similar mirrors about 2 years ago shortly after I bought the Odyssey, but never got around to installing them. Originally, I was going to put one on the upper outer corner of the driver mirror like you, and was thinking about putting one in the lower inner corner of the passenger mirror. But I thought that the passenger one might block some needed visibility on the mirror, and it's so far away that it might be distracting.

When I bought my '01 Camry used, it came with one of the round mirrors in the outer lower corner of the passenger mirror. It's still there, I never took it off, but I also never look at it. That's why I thought the inner corner might be better. I found that the outer corner is so far away and it's so distracting to look specifically at it when changing lanes. Maybe it's also not angled low enough to be helpful when parking, either, so I've found it kind of useless.

I also had a Mazda CX-9 that had add on mirrors on both passenger and driver side, both were inner corner. I hated the passenger one especially, made it very difficult to see everything on the normal mirror when changing lanes.
During the day or at night in decently lit parking lots:
As long as the lines painted in parking lots are half way decent, I can see them fine to center our Ody between them. Faded lines are hard to see in the blind spot mirrors day or night.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I put frameless 1.25" round ones on the lower inside corner of mine (same on my truck). On the truck its more to see someone sneaking up on the side of me (full size ext cab with a topper). On the oddy, its more to see the parking lines when I back in. I've been backing up trucks with mirrors only for 30+ yrs and dont even pay attention the rear view camera.

·
Registered
2019 Ody EX
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I put frameless 1.25" round ones on the lower inside corner of mine (same on my truck). On the truck its more to see someone sneaking up on the side of me (full size ext cab with a topper). On the oddy, its more to see the parking lines when I back in. I've been backing up trucks with mirrors only for 30+ yrs and dont even pay attention the rear view camera.
Yep, the blind spot mirrors aimed toward the ground are helpful to see the parking lines when backing in.

When backing in, I have the Ody 90 degrees to the parking stall. I use the rear view camera for the initial turning 90 degrees into the stall since the guide lines on the rear view camera curve toward the stall when the steering wheel is turned. The curved guide lines help with lining up the Ody with the stall during the 90 degree backward turn. Once the Ody is going straight into the stall backward, the blind spot mirrors help getting the Ody centered between the lines.

Even going forward into a parking stall, when about half way in I can see the parking lines. If I need to, I'll back up a bit and realign with the parking lines.

Especially useful for being centered between parking lines in the parking lots that have really tight, close together parking lines. Hate those parking lots ;) .

1 - 5 of 5 Posts