Honda Odyssey Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
618 Posts
I have to say yikes to the link you posted above. They struggle with simple math and conversion from ppm to %. Fuel with ethanol is not really hygroscopic, it doesn't attract much water. The main issue in long term storage is oxidation, which all the stabilizers address through antioxidants. Fact is, most any stabilizer will allow fuel to last much longer than untreated fuel.

·
Registered
21 Posts
In another car, I just replaced an engine after parking it over 4 years ago. 3/4 tank of 4+ year old fuel and not wanting to deal with draining and disposal, I drove it. Topped off with 5 gallons of premium and a bottle of injector cleaner. Nothing happened. Fuel trims were high, but no CEL. Fresh fuel threw a lean CEL, but it had a bad MAF. New MAF and trims are perfect. YMMV as always.

·
Registered
43 Posts
My experience is that PRI-G is MUCH BETTER than Stabil. It not only preserves fuel much longer (I've gone 2+ years) but can also "restore" old gas. ALSO, modern car engines are much more tolerant of marginal/old gas than are small, simple carburetor engines like those in lawn mowers. What could screw up your lawn mower's carb - will burn without issue in your car. But I still recommend diluting it in the tank with new gas just to be cautious.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have an old motor home that 'sits' most of the time but I keep the tanks full so moisture will not get in them. Every year or so I drain the motor home and it put into my Odyssey and Jeep and have never noticed a bit of change. And I am a stiller for care of my cars. New cars will run on most anything, the computer will adjust for it. Been doing it for years and never had a problem. Just filter out any dirt and rust you have in your generator.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I have an old motor home that 'sits' most of the time but I keep the tanks full so moisture will not get in them. Every year or so I drain the motor home and it put into my Odyssey and Jeep and have never noticed a bit of change. And I am a stiller for care of my cars. New cars will run on most anything, the computer will adjust for it. Been doing it for years and never had a problem. Just filter out any dirt and rust you have in your generator.
Thanks.

Plastic tank, so I assume no rust. The generator is 3, maybe 4 years old, garaged for 2 years then kept below an under-roofed deck and inside a generator cover. Started at least 3-4 times a year. I can't imagine there's any dirt to worry about, but filtering is easy, so it sure can't hurt.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts