Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone thought about trying to add a rear power door to their 2011 EX? My wife is asking if it is possible. I looked and it seems like there are just covers to remove. I did not look to see if it was pre-wired. Thanks for any info!

·
Registered
3,974 Posts
I will all but guarantee you that it is not prewired.

New wiring harness, new remotes, dash switch, tailgate switch, the motor itself....I'm sure this wouldn't be an easy (or inexpensive) undertaking.

·
Super Moderator
13,837 Posts
PSU is right. There's no prewiring and though you can fabricate the wiring, if I were you, I'd either live with this decision of purchasing a LX or take a hit and trade it in v/s trying to get the power doors added after the fact.

As is, the power doors are finicky out of the gate. :)

·
Registered
3,974 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,837 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the reply's.. I was thinking that she was dreaming but had to ask. Our baby will get older and she won't have to hold her while closing the door.

·
Banned
728 Posts
We've got 2 kids and don't miss the power tail gate. We didn't have power sliding doors on our last van and find them very convenient. When my wife exits the mall, she has the kids in stroller and bags in hand. She gets to the van, puts the parcels down, lifts each kid out of the stroller and into the car seat and belts them in. After that she opens the rear hatch and loads the stroller and stuff into the back. I've never heard her complain about the lack of power tail gate, although she has commented frequently about how much she likes the power sliding doors.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
We've got 2 kids and don't miss the power tail gate. We didn't have power sliding doors on our last van and find them very convenient. When my wife exits the mall, she has the kids in stroller and bags in hand. She gets to the van, puts the parcels down, lifts each kid out of the stroller and into the car seat and belts them in. After that she opens the rear hatch and loads the stroller and stuff into the back. I've never heard her complain about the lack of power tail gate, although she has commented frequently about how much she likes the power sliding doors.
Long response but, Are you just trying to justify not have gotten the EX-L?

j/k :p

·
Banned
728 Posts
No reason really, I just found the reply to the original post amusing :p
I was assuming the OP had already bought a model to which a powered rear door cannot be economically retrofitted. Given that (and a complaint from his wife), I was pointing out that with a bit of planning, you will not miss the powered rear door as much as the powered side doors.

When we first got our van, I found the side doors to be a nuisance because they took so long to open/close compared to just pulling the doors on our old van. After a while I figured out that a bit of planning made them convenient. So now when we park the car after a trip the first thing I do is hit the open buttons for both doors. They are open by the time I get to the car seat to let the kids out. I push the close buttons after we're out and walk away from the car and hit the lock button a few times until I hear the horn chirp to let me know the doors closed and locked. I had found waiting for the doors to close (while standing and watching them) is more time consuming than just pulling the door closed and hitting the lock button. With my new "procedure" it is actually quicker.

As to your trim level comment; we tried to buy a van that had all of the important stuff for us. What we found was that unless you buy the top model, you miss some options that you'd like. So we didn't get XM, Leather, Rear Parking Sensor, Cooling Box, Power Rear Hatch. But the van was $5,500 CDN less than the EX-L model with that stuff. I miss the XM, but hadn't really thought much about the rear hatch.

All I was saying was given the number of times we access the rear, vs the side doors, the OP's wife should be able to get by with a change in the way she loads the kids (like we do).

Anyway, you can get by without all of the options, but people like stuff to make their lives easier or they think the option is cool. Nothing wrong with that and I wouldn't expect to have to justify my more "spartan" model any more than someone would have to justify buying a loaded model.

This is America (and Canada), we can do what we want, as long as we have enough money (or can borrow it). :)

·
Registered
730 Posts
Your not missing anything as far as the "cooling box" is concerned.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Anyway, you can get by without all of the options, but people like stuff to make their lives easier or they think the option is cool. Nothing wrong with that and I wouldn't expect to have to justify my more "spartan" model any more than someone would have to justify buying a loaded model.

This is America (and Canada), we can do what we want, as long as we have enough money (or can borrow it). :)

hehe. I think the latter is more applicable. ;):D check how many americans have filed for bankruptcy? hehe. the last time I check people tend to spend more than what they're bringing home.

to the OP why don't wait for about 2-3 years of ownnership then trade it for an EX-L-- that way you have the extra bells/whistle and hoooopefully the ody for that trim has 6 speed auto..:cool::p.

anyhow, goodluck!!

·
Registered
3,292 Posts

·
Registered
786 Posts
Wow, hats off, he is THE Honda_Dude indeed!

Now a single picture made me happy about having that included in my EX-L for a change :nervous:
I don't remember why, but I remember when that project was underway and for some reason I remember thinking that stripping the interior down to the metal floor was not necessary, as well as removing the front seats. I could easily be wrong, but I have considered this project, and haven't ruled it out, but I can't even consider it until I'm in a position where I can live without the Ody for a week.....or more ;)

·
Registered
86 Posts
That looks like a lot of work. I would consider it a couple years ago before we had our first baby but now I don't know where I would find the time. I'm struggling to even get the tow hitch I purchased installed as I'm cringing at the 3 or so hours needed to do the job.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts