Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will take delivery of my very first non-American brand vehicle this week. My TW '02' EX will be here either Wednesday or Thursday. I have the warranties and general construction of the Big 3 vehicles figured out, but the Honda is a whole different game.
My question concerns the hard wiring of electrical accessories to my Odyssey. Are there any electrical wiring diagrams available? Are there any convenient locations to tap into the electrical wiring/system to add accessories that you want switched on and off with the ignition? (An example is my radar detector.)
I just hate to plug stuff into those cigar lighter type outlets and have the cords running everywhere.
I will rely on the knowledge base of the Odyssey owners who subscribe to this forum for some rock solid advise, both now and in the future.
I will be installing several Honda accessories that I have ordered almost immediately after delivery, but I'm not sure where to wire the radar detector (which keeps me out of trouble).
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

FW

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Hi, FW. Welcome. you have a lot of fun ahead of you.

Take a look in the Tech section at the top of the page for a lot of the projects you might be interested in doing.

Oops, I thought the details of wiring a radar detector were there, but I think it got missed, so look for it in the album that's linked in my signature.

------------------
Chuck
Click here for Ody pics, mods and fixes on FotoTime.

·
1,484 Posts
First off, welcome to the club!

Yes there is an official book on the Odyssey's Electric system. It's called the Helm Odyssey Electrical Troubleshooting Manual. It pretty much has everything you need for adding on electrical accessories.

Also, most of us strongly recommend getting the Helm Odyssey Service Manual whenever doing mods. They both pay for themselves in the long run. Good Luck!

Click here for Helm Manuals

-Nestor

------------------

2000 CCS EX-NAVI

[This message has been edited by nemogira (edited 12-15-2001).]

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Chuck, GREAT web site. I spent an hour there getting familiar with some of the mods you've done on your van. The Add-a-Circuit looks like it will make the job of adding my radar detector walk in the park. I can't wait top get my hands on my new Odyssey.
The only one I have driven was a 99 LX that belongs to a friend. It was a bit stiff legged, but I understand that Honda has softened things up a bit in the later models. I have owned minivans from both Ford and Chrysler in the past 15 years. I've owned several GM cars too. I am on year 7 with my 95 Windstar GL and I am super happy with this one. I have had no problems with it at all. I have put 120K miles on it in 7 years and I am simply tired of driving it and washing it (dark green is tough to keep clean). I looked at the 2002 Windstar's, but the fact that they lose 30% of their value the second you drive them off the lot prompted me to head to Honda for a van.
As I said in my first post, I have never owned a non-American vehicle before. My dad drives the German cars, but they are a bit too rich for this lads blood. So ..... this will be a learning experience for me. I hope that it's a pleasant one.

FW

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Nestor,
I appreciate the link to Helm. I went there to order the books and as usual, they are out of the 99 - 2002 Odyssey Electrical Troubleshooting Manual. They are on order so I will just have to keep checking for them to get some in. I did order the 1999-2002 HONDA ODYSSEY SERVICE MANUAL though.
I have always done most of my own maintenance on my vehicles. (Everything short of busting tires, mufflers and tailpipes and alignments.) So, when the book arrives, I will go through the manual from cover to cover to see how the Japanese do things.
Again, thanks for the help.

FW

·
Registered
596 Posts
It may be a non-American brand, but, the Odyssey IS an American designed and built vehicle. It has all the characteristics of a Japanese rig, falling short, occasionally, in the reliability department. The main reason, I feel, for the reliability issues is that, as with our domestic makers, we are the "field testers", where, before, the Japanese people did that function before we ever saw the cars. Just my humble opinion. They kept most of their "citrus fruits" at home and created quite a legend (also the name of a slick Acura). Good luck with your new "pride and joy"!

Jerry O.

------------------
2001 Odyssey GG LX

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hello Jerry O.,
I am like a kid at Christmas waiting for my van. You guys better not be kidding about what a good vehicle it is. I have driven minivans since 1984, and I am hoping that this one really impresses me. I still have 3 or possibly 4 very, very loooooong days to wait.

About the reliability issues ... I have always felt that no make or model of any particular brand of vehicle is immune to break down or malfunction. Every dealership seems to have a service department attached to it, and they all seem to be full of their particular make or model needing repair or service. Granted, the Japanese vehicles appear to need fewer repairs than their American cousins (according to Consumer Reports anyway).
BUT .... I think that system is possibly flawed. A co-worker of mine owns a Toyota. He bought it new in 2000. One day, shortly after he got it, it quit and was in the shop for 2 weeks getting a new wiring harness installed. Six months later, a new tranny was installed, then a new PS pump. Yet, when he filled out his annual CR Survey (which is where CR gets it's reliability data), he indicated that it was the best car he had ever owned and he had never had any trouble with it, ever.
When I reminded him of the woes he had earlier in the year, he was startled that he had forgotten all about those repairs while he was filling out the survey.
I therefore surmise that some owners of foreign cars like to forget about or refuse to acknowledge their problem vs. owners of American cars.
It's only a theory.
I hope that I can say in a year that the Odyssey is the best set of wheels I have ever owned.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">It may be a non-American brand, but, the Odyssey IS an American designed and built vehicle.</font>
True.

In fact, many people don't understand or have never heard of Honda's platform initiative over the last few years. What happens is that we get purely American vehicles, designed from the ground up for exactly our market.

So it's a fact that the Odyssey we know and love is purely American, designed to strictly American tastes and needs and abilities (large roads and garages, lots of wide open spaces) and built in North America.

It's amazing what Honda can do when they put their mind to it.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I got the call this morning around 9 AM that my Odyssey was here and ready for delivery. I was worthless the rest of the day. They had to get my attention with a stick if they expected anything productive from me.
I was pleased at the quality of the van and that it only had 5.2 miles on the odometer.
The tank was full of gas and it was spotless. (But of course.)
I paid cash for the vehicle but was shocked at the $1525.00 "Deal" the money guy pitched to me for the 7/100.000 Honda Care package. I nearly burst out laughing. My wife poked me hard to keep me quiet. She too knows it can be had for much less.

Now the fun begins. I need to tear my van apart for some mods. First comes an ash tray inatallation for the Misses. (Nasty habit that she has.)
Then the Radar Detector hard wire. Followed by Splash guards, door edge guards and wheel locks. I'll post my progress later.

Anyone know where they sell Add-A-Circuits?

FW_in_OKC

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by FW_in_OKC:
Anyone know where they sell Add-A-Circuits?</font>
Lots of places. I've seen them in Fleet Farm and Auto Zone.

Check out hondapartsforyou.com for the ash tray. I think they're still selling them for about $35 (it's worth it just for the extra power outlet). Also, they have free shipping on everything, which makes their prices pretty competitive on other accessories and parts. I've been generally pleased with their service.

Mel

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I called Pep Boys and they have several versions of the Add-A-Circuit ranging in price from $6.99 to $8.99. I'll get some today and see what the cost is for the one we need, then I can start disassembling my brand new van. (That's sounds scary)

FW_in_OKC

·
Registered
58 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by FW_in_OKC:
I called Pep Boys and they have several versions of the Add-A-Circuit ranging in price from $6.99 to $8.99. I'll get some today and see what the cost is for the one we need, then I can start disassembling my brand new van. (That's sounds scary)

FW_in_OKC
</font>
Be sure to get the "mini fuse" version. I made the initial mistake of getting the other type that uses the larger style blade fuse.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That would probably be the $8.99 version!

FW_in_OKC

·
Registered
543 Posts
nemogira said:
First off, welcome to the club!

Yes there is an official book on the Odyssey's Electric system. It's called the Helm Odyssey Electrical Troubleshooting Manual. It pretty much has everything you need for adding on electrical accessories.

Also, most of us strongly recommend getting the Helm Odyssey Service Manual whenever doing mods. They both pay for themselves in the long run. Good Luck!

Click here for Helm Manuals

-Nestor

------------------

2000 CCS EX-NAVI

[This message has been edited by nemogira (edited 12-15-2001).]

Thank you but I dont want to spend $50 for a manual. Is there anything free? I just need to connect power to my radar detector and the sub

thank you

1 - 14 of 14 Posts