Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
I don't think it is worth the cost of putting the factory RES in. You are better off going to a local shop and having an aftermarket one installed or even better yet just get a headrest mount for an iPad or android tablet.

·
Registered
3,974 Posts
There is no easy way to retrofit a factory RES. It has been done on previous generations, but the task certainly isn't for the faint of heart. Very expensive, and very labor intensive. As raistlin said, your best bet is to go aftermarket.....or if you just have to have the "factory" RES, you should consider trading.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We bought the van wrecked. My husband is very handy. He is a body man/painter. This will be our second odyssey. We absolutely love the odyssey's. We have four children, so a van is a must. So, what I am understanding is that it can be done. Am I right? My husband will be doing the work and he can find a unit used or with his discount. I guess I just need to find out how much a unit and wiring harness will be to see if it will be worth it.

·
Registered
786 Posts
So let me get this straight, you have two vans, one good one, and a wrecked donor vehicle? If this is the case, it might just be an issue of reinstalling the wiring harnesses and all related hardware. Believe it or not, I have been considering buying a wrecked 2008, 2009, or 2010 Touring and doing a complete upgrade to my 2006. (It would be the most expensive and labor intensive way to depax an 06 Touring ;D) I will probably never get around to doing it, but if you do this upgrade, please post the progress.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We bought the van wrecked. My husband is very handy. He is a body man/painter. This will be our second odyssey. We absolutely love the odyssey's. We have four children, so a van is a must. So, what I am understanding is that it can be done. Am I right? My husband will be doing the work and he can find a unit used or with his discount. I guess I just need to find out how much a unit and wiring harness will be to see if it will be worth it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So let me get this straight, you have two vans, one good one, and a wrecked donor vehicle? If this is the case, it might just be an issue of reinstalling the wiring harnesses and all related hardware. Believe it or not, I have been considering buying a wrecked 2008, 2009, or 2010 Touring and doing a complete upgrade to my 2006. (It would be the most expensive and labor intensive way to depax an 06 Touring ;D) I will probably never get around to doing it, but if you do this upgrade, please post the progress.
No, just one van that was hit in the front that he will repair. I was just thinking we could buy the parts we need.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
I would like to put factory RES in my 2011 EXL-NAV. Has anyone done this? Can it be done at all?
Anything can be done, just put it a price, some brains and labor time ;)

I'm yet to see a 4th generation, but here is a 3rd generation one, quite impressive:

http://www.odyclub.com/forums/11-au...av-res-voice-control-rear-camera-dvd-nav.html

And here are the parts (more research might be needed):

REAR DISPLAY UNIT. Fits: 2011 Honda Odyssey EXL (RES) | Sons Honda

AUDIO UNIT (2). Fits: 2011 Honda Odyssey | Sons Honda

Note that you may need to replace the complete dashboard audio unit as the DVD player looks integrated to it. In other words, you would be basically installing the one in the Touring model. In the 3rd generation, the radio and dvd units are allover the dashboard but, on the upside they are separate, like after market parts:

It would be great if your husband can document it, like the member who posted it for the 3rd gen.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts