Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new here, so forgive me if it's been asked (I searched without success)...

My new Ody LX should be coming in late August. I'm interested in adding the steering wheel audio controls which come with the EX but not the LX (according to the brochure - I haven't actually looked in an LX to verify). Is this possible? How about with a wheel upgrade such as to an Acura CL/TL wheel?

Scott

·
1,484 Posts
Let's see...you don't need a new steering wheel. But you do need:

- The Left Steering Wheel Buttons (and screws)
- The Left Mounting Bracket for the Buttons (and screws)
- Two long-thick wires (16 Gauge)

Do you see that thing in the center where the wires go? This prevents the wires from getting tangled up when you turn the wheel. You have to somehow route the two wires through that and then tap them into the Honda Radio Harness. And that should do it.

If you are going to attempt this mod you can special order all the parts from Trevor at www.handa-accessories.com

-nemogira

------------------

2000 CCS EX-NAVI

[This message has been edited by nemogira (edited 07-25-2001).]

·
Registered
182 Posts
I think the cable reel asm for the LX is different from the EX, probably because of the radio control wires. So, besides the parts mentioned by Nestor, you would probably need to buy the EX reel asm instead of using two 16g wires. The discounted price for it is around $85. Then, the reel asm connector for the EX may not match up to the LX wiring harness under the dash. Haven't seen them to compare. You might be able to use the EX reel asm but use the connector end off the old LX reel asm, and then use the 16g wires from there to the radio. Would take some research.

As for swapping the steering wheel, I haven't seen the LX wheel's hub area. Look at Nestor's steering wheel swap pictures and see if your wheel looks the same. If so, you could swap with either an Accord Sedan V6 wheel or an Acura TL wheel. Nestor has the Acura TL-S black leather wheel installed, and I have the TL-S taupe leather wheel installed.

------------------
Lanny
2K1 EX MB

·
1,484 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by my_2001ody:
As for swapping the steering wheel, I haven't seen the LX wheel's hub area. Look at Nestor's steering wheel swap pictures and see if your wheel looks the same. If so, you could swap with either an Accord Sedan V6 wheel or an Acura TL wheel. Nestor has the Acura TL-S black leather wheel installed, and I have the TL-S taupe leather wheel installed.

</font>
Hey Lanny,

I'm glad to hear you were able to get that ol' steering wheel off. You gotta show us some pics of the new "Taupe-S" steering wheel!

Also, were you able to swap the airbag?

-Nestor

[This message has been edited by nemogira (edited 07-25-2001).]

·
Registered
182 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by nemogira:
Hey Lanny,

were you able to swap the airbag?

-Nestor

</font>
No, haven't found an airbag yet. Right now it's two-tone, taupe and black. Looks good. I also have a taupe Honda wheel but liked the perfs in the Acura wheel better. Trying to decide if I want to get the airbag dyed taupe. I did replace the plastic cover that fits to the back of the wheel with a taupe one. I'll try to get a picture of it posted. I'm getting slow(er). Just came back from a 3200 mile trip to Florida.

------------------
Lanny
2K1 EX MB

·
Registered
342 Posts
Question? Wouldn't he need to swap the radio too? The LX comes with the AM/FM cassette and I'm wondering if it's configured for the remote switches like the EX's audio system.

Just wondering,
Steve

·
Registered
182 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Intrepid175:
Question? Wouldn't he need to swap the radio too? The LX comes with the AM/FM cassette and I'm wondering if it's configured for the remote switches like the EX's audio system.

Just wondering,
Steve
</font>
Thats a good question. I haven't seen and don't know the specs of the LX's radio. It probably doesn't support remote operation. The electrical manual shows the remote wire going to pin 3 of the radio's 20 pin connector and says EX:GRN/RED. I would try to find a buddy with an EX and do a swap for a test before spending any money. Then again, with the quality (or lack thereof) of the LX's radio, I would rather spend the money on a better sound system than trying to add the Honda remote. But thats easy for me to say because I already have the remote feature, and the radio I have sounds just fine. Adding the remote would be a neat mod if happy with the sound of the Honda radio. I have the Honda EX radio/CD player that I took out with only 357 miles on the van sitting on a closet shelf and might sell it later. There is always some on eBay too.

------------------
Lanny
2K1 EX MB

·
Registered
342 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by my_2001ody:
I haven't seen and don't know the specs of the LX's radio. It probably doesn't support remote operation. </font>
I've got an LX with the stock AM/FM Cassette and I don't think it's setup for remote operation like the EX's AM/FM CD system.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2"> The electrical manual shows the remote wire going to pin 3 of the radio's 20 pin connector and says EX:GRN/RED. I would try to find a buddy with an EX and do a swap for a test before spending any money. Then again, with the quality (or lack thereof) of the LX's radio, I would rather spend the money on a better sound system than trying to add the Honda remote.</font>
The swap idea sounds good. At least verify that it's got a chance to work before doing too much work on it. As for the LX's radio quality, after reading so many opinions stating how lousy the Ody's radio system is in general, I just knew I've wind up replacing the whole thing. Now that I've actually got the van, I find that the factory radio, while I'm sure isn't as good as a quality aftermarket system, isn't as bad as I expected it to be. So far all I've done is replace the front speakers with a set of Pioneer 1665's which has helped a lot. I've looked at a number of radio heads on Crutchfields web site and while I'm sure they're good systems, the radios they're selling these days are a bit too gaudy for my taste. They've got all kinds of color variations and graphics that are only a distraction IMO and do very little to improve the functionality of the system. Now that I've been looking at the AM/FM Cassette for over a month now, I've grown to like the factory look and I think I'll stick with it.

I just ordered the 6 disk in dash CD player and subwoofer combo that Trevor mentioned elsewhere in the forum. I know I said I wanted to keep the cubby below the radio but the in dash system looks good and the price isn't bad either. That will probably be all I'll do with the radio for a while. I'll let you know how the install goes. Hopefully better than the alarm did. I'll try not to make any assumptions this time!

Drive Safe,
Steve

·
Registered
182 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Intrepid175:
I find that the factory radio, while I'm sure isn't as good as a quality aftermarket system, isn't as bad as I expected it to be

I just ordered the 6 disk in dash CD player and subwoofer combo that Trevor mentioned elsewhere in the forum.
</font>
The factory radio in the EX, while not as good as it should have been, sounded okay to me. I think you will be happy with what you're putting in. I would have gone the same way if I had the LX instead of the EX with the single CD player. I wanted both a cassette player and a 6 disk CD player and didn't really want it under the seat. I found a guy that wanted a different radio in his 01 Accord EX so I bought his unit. My better half doesn't like the music very loud so the Honda radios work just fine. I bought a set of the Infinity 652i's to put in, not knowing the rain guard had to be cut. I didn't want to cut it so won't be installing them. I might get the 1655's. I saw that Wal-Mart has 1653's. Any idea if they are same as 1655's and just numbered different for the retail market? The pictures, etc look the same.
Keep us informed of your install.

------------------
Lanny
2K1 EX MB

·
Registered
342 Posts
Well folks, I got my in dash 6 disk CD player and Kelton subwoofer combo from H and A Accessories via UPS this afternoon. The installation for both units took about 1.5 hours. It's really no big deal. I followed the directions, made no assumptions
, and everything fell right in place and worked perfectly from the get go. The one part of the installation that took a little extra time was drilling the hole for the on/off switch for the subwoofer. The directions call for a 20mm hole saw but I didn't have one available. I took three different drills and wound up with a 12mm hole. I then used a dremmel tool to slowly enlarge it until the switch would fit. It looks just fine.

The sound of the stock radio system is much improved. Someone else said that they had their subwoofer's volume turned most of the way down. I've had to do the same. At the mid point of the subwoofers volume, it's way too much. I've still got to experiment with the high pass filter to see where I prefer that to be. For now, I'm pleased with the sound. As for the in dash 6 disk CD player, it's working perfectly and it's great being able to listen to my CD collection again. I'm really impressed with this unit. It amazes me that they can squeeze 6 CD's in that little box and have everything work so well. I'd love to see what it looks like on the inside. Don't worry, I'm not going to take it apart!

Next project? I've got the fog lights on order along with the transmission cooler. Since you have to pull the front facia on both installations, I'll do them both at the same time. They should be here around Tuesday. After that, I think I'm pretty much done for a while. I need to let my wallet recoup for a while.

Drive Safe,
Steve

1 - 10 of 10 Posts