Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone help me out here? I am having trouble shifting out of park. I just checked my transmission fluid and it is low. On my old cars, I would proceed to add atf thru the dipstick drain. On page 249, of the Honda Odyssey's owners manual, it says I need to remove the filler plug? Where is this? I can't find it's location anywhere? Dealers are closed and Honda Care was no help-they just wanted to tow me to a dealer.

Please help! Thanks.

·
Registered
182 Posts
If you look down past the brake fluid reservior to the top of the transmission, you will see a large bolt, usually painted white, with what looks like a large fender washer under it. This is the filler location. You are suppose to replace the large washer/seal.

------------------
Lanny
2K1 EX MB

·
Registered
126 Posts
I don't see why you can't add the transmission fluid thru the dip tube even though a filler plug is provided as long as you have a funnel for that. It gets to the same place. You can add oil thru the oil dip tube but it takes a whole lot longer than using the filler cap. You would have had them tow it to the dealer if you knew you had to go there to get a replacement washer for the filler port.

How old is your Odyssey? I'd be concern if your Odyssey is less than 2 years old and already loosing enough tranny fluid to cause a problem. Maybe a visit to the dealer is inevitable.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I agree about the trip to the dealer. The van just turned a year old a few weeks ago. i'm calling today to schedule an appointment. I'll let you know what they find out.

I was able to add dexron III thru the dip stick and was able to get the van to shift out of park easily. Is it very important that I drain and refill with Honda Premium ATF asap? It says in the owners manual that it could cause problems shifting gears.

By the way, why wouldn't they label the filler plug? I couldn't find it so I just said poured it throught the dipstick tube.

Thanks four help.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update...

Just got off the phone with Concicelli Honda. I may have a blown fuse? and that may be why I can't shift out of park? If so, I may drive it out to them tonite. I'll let you all know what happens.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK, sorry it's been so long, the holiday has taken a toll on me. Here's what happened to my ODY:

There is a switch that tells the car that the brake pedal has been depressed. This switch tells the car it's ok of shift out of park. Well, the switch was defective. It was replaced under warranty.

As far as my transmission fluid, it ok. It wasn't low (it was just very clean). DOH! I guess we all now know that this is my first new car. I am used to dark colored fluids in the car.

My bad. I just wanted to make sure that I kept my baby feeling good and that I wasn't doing any harm. Thanks for your replies.

·
Registered
215 Posts
If this happens again, look in your manual. It tells you to remove a clip in the steering column cover and stick a screwdriver or key to be able to shift out of park. Page 216. At least you won't be stranded or break something.

Regards
Al

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's what I had to do, but I felt like maybe I shouldn't be driving it if I had to get into the emergnecy release. Oh well, now I know.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts