Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many OdyClub'ers have posted questions about making the power outlets always hot, or providing additional outlets. This photo shows how I installed 3 additional, always hot, outlets under the front side of the driver's seat:

Notes:

1. Power is tapped from the power seat circuits, just inches away. These outlets are separately fused.

2. The power outlets are mounted in a 4" electrical handy box. The box is mounted to a steel bar that mounts the Sony 10-CD changer. You can see the mounting screws protruding through the bar if you look carefully.

3. The orange button (switch) is for a rear hatch release. It works, but I'm still working on the hatch. The switch is mounted in a plain washer, which is welded to the box lid.

4. The cigarette lighter is shown in the center power outlet. Since I don't smoke, I store it here. The cigarette lighter won't work in these outlets because they don't have the type of base required for the lighter to "latch-in."

Mel

[This message has been edited by Mel (edited 11-10-2001).]

·
Registered
1,312 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Great idea, Mel! I bought a triple set of auxiliary outlets; it came with a cigarette lighter plug as the power source. I mounted it under the driver's seat (facing to the rear; drilled two small holes in the cross bar under the seat and mounted it there with two small machine screws and nuts). I cut the cigarette lighter plug off the cord; tapped into the constant 12v power to the driver's seat motor and then grounded it to the seat bolt. Also, since the fuse was in the plug which I cut off I wired an inline fuse holder into the power side for good measure. Finally, my wife can leave her cell phone charging in the car when she's not driving! These plugs will come in handy for the middle seat passengers, also.

------------------
David
'01 GG EX-NAVI
Classic Soft Trim leather kit; Audiovox entertainment system; Gentex auto dimming compass/temp rear view mirror; Pioneer speakers front & rear; leather steering wheel wrap; splash guards; cargo tray; cargo liner; power door mods; Helm manual; Zaino protection; Honda litter bag.

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
Nice fabrication work Mel!
Do you have a little arc welder, or did you use a torch for the washer? I've got a little torch myself; comes really in hand for stuff like that!

Question for you outlet-guys..

What do you use three outlets for? Surely the permanently installed electronics are hardwired, so the outlets are for removable extras... What do you bring on the road with you, and do you ever have stuff plugged into ALL three simultaneously?

-SJ

------------------
DEP '01 EX no-navi

·
Registered
255 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by shinjohn:
Question for you outlet-guys..

What do you use three outlets for? Surely the permanently installed electronics are hardwired, so the outlets are for removable extras... What do you bring on the road with you, and do you ever have stuff plugged into ALL three simultaneously?-SJ
</font>
Well, let's see...one charger per cell phone (there are three in the car when we go on trips with my daughter); one hands free cell phone speaker system; my laptop computer (so I can surf; access weather and road info. , and check my email while on the road); and looking forward to when we have a PS2 (or, hopefully, an Xbox) to play DVDs and games on the Audiovox system (we'll need a power port for the inverter necessary to use the Xbox in the vehicle). Oh, and a 12V cooler to take along to my son's tennis matches. I just installed the triple auxiliary plugs today; I'll let you know which of these it can handle simultaneously.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by shinjohn:
Nice fabrication work Mel!
Do you have a little arc welder, or did you use a torch for the washer
</font>
Shinjohn,

Thanks for the compliment!

If I had welded it (actually, I'd probably braze it), I would have use oxy-acetylene. My son did this job with his wire-feed welder. It did a nice job here; notice no paint. A torch would have required a quick coat of paint to cover-up the discoloration.

In reality, I've never used all the outlets at the same time. It's just as easy, though, to install three as it is one or two. I really wanted to always hot feature for charging batteries, either cell phone or penlights. I'll also use it for powering my laptop from time to time, although I'd really rather leave it home.

Mel

·
Registered
40 Posts
Mel,
I used your idea on adding additinal power outlets, it's a great idea but I might have run into a problem. I used the Black Power Seat Harness with the Gray connector coming out of the floor. I tapped into the red wire with gray strips. I also noticed that the blue wire was always hot as well. The problem is the SRS light is on now and was not on before. Do you know if one of the hot wires is for the SRS? I was thinking that one hot wire was for the seat slide and the other for the seat recline.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I’ve got an ’01, so I don’t have the side air bags and can’t answer your question directly.

The ETM for ‘01s indicates that the Front Up-Down and Slide motors are powered by a blue wire; the Rear Up-Down and Recline motors are powered by the Red wire.

I suspect that the black wire has something to do with the SRS circuit.

Hope this helps.
Mel

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
ACBWrap said:
Mel,
I used your idea on adding additinal power outlets, it's a great idea but I might have run into a problem. I used the Black Power Seat Harness with the Gray connector coming out of the floor. I tapped into the red wire with gray strips. I also noticed that the blue wire was always hot as well. The problem is the SRS light is on now and was not on before. Do you know if one of the hot wires is for the SRS? I was thinking that one hot wire was for the seat slide and the other for the seat recline.

Thanks
I see no wire with red with gray strip in 02 ETM on gray connector? The book said the solid red or solid blue both have 20amp fuse, power all the time.
On 02, they added pin-1 blue/red, witch is for the SRS, so if you disconnected the gray connector with the battery still hookup on your Ody, thats the reson why your SRS light is on. Just reset it, do a search on "SRS reset". HOW TO, have been posted manytimes.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I figured out what happened. I disconnected the SRS yellow connection under the power drivers seat while installing an additional "always hot" outlet. I picked up the SCS tool from my dealer ($4.69). After three tries and about 10 minutes it worked.

Thanks to all

ACB

·
Registered
34 Posts
This is an excellent idea and mod, but is there any alternative for us lowly LX owners who don't have a power seat to tap into? Is there anything else live and able to handle high current, or must we run dedicated wiring from the battery?

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
cramar said:
This is an excellent idea and mod, but is there any alternative for us lowly LX owners who don't have a power seat to tap into? Is there anything else live and able to handle high current, or must we run dedicated wiring from the battery?
I don't think I would use these connections for high current devices. The seat is fused at 20 amps and using a high current device and moving the seat at the same time could blow the fuse. Laptops and cell phones are low current devices and should work fine but plug in a water heater or other high current device could cause problems. For high current usage I would run a fused line from the battery...

·
Registered
8 Posts
What about battery drain?

I like Mel's idea, and the other one with the triple outlet from Target. i have had 2 of thos running in my 96 Aerostar. We are now the proud owners of an 04 ex-res - picked it up last night!
I noticed that single outlet near the floor. My concern about adding a triple outlet, or wiring through the power seat is the risk of draining the battery? My mom has a Subaru that she can leave her Cell phone plugged in and somehow it does not drain the battery. Are the Odys like that, too?

Thanks for your input!

·
Registered
110 Posts
As far as i know, if you use the provided power outlet for
extension then there will not be any problem like power drain
when key was removed.

I guess drivers power seat gets power all the time isn't it?
which can cause power drain if any instrument is connected to
the newly added power outlets.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Since I wanted a source of considerable power, i.e., more than 5-10 amps, if I couldn't use the power seat feed then I'd run a line to the battery. I'd put a fuse at the battery and use the fog light hole through the firewall.

Mel

·
Registered
2 Posts
Reviving an old thread here. Just wanted to say thanks to everyone above.

I was able to hard wire in an always-on triple accessory plug off the drivers seat yesterday.

I used the circuit for the recline motor since that rarely gets used (2001 EX.)

I picked this up locally and it worked out great!
Enercell 12VDC 3-Outlet Vehicle Power Adapter : Car Adapters | RadioShack.com
Really like how you can hard-wire it or plug into an existing socket.

I should have taken a picture. My wire management job and harness integration made me proud! A very stealth install.

Thanks again folks! Don't post much here but I do reference the site for anything technical related to the Odyssey.

·
Registered
18 Posts
in my '01 ex-l, the power outlet in the front console near the RCA inputs is constant powered. I even bought a power outlet splitter that has an actual switch so I don't have to keep plugging and unplugging the main wire...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts