Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am buying a new 2001 Odyssey. The dealer suggest buying additional rust protection (+ more, a package from Diamond-Kote) for $598 + tax (Canadian).
Though I am generally reluctant to buy any such extra options, I have read in some review that Odyssey has not adequate manufacturer's rust protection, compared to other Honda makes.
So I wonder if additional rust protection may be a good idea?
Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

·
Registered
342 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DP:
I am buying a new 2001 Odyssey. The dealer suggest buying additional rust protection (+ more, a package from Diamond-Kote) for $598 + tax (Canadian).
Though I am generally reluctant to buy any such extra options, I have read in some review that Odyssey has not adequate manufacturer's rust protection, compared to other Honda makes.
So I wonder if additional rust protection may be a good idea?
Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
</font>
Hi DP,

There was a time when I would have said by all means to this question. Not too many years ago, factory rust protection wasn't that great. Modern cars are supposed to be much better about this as witnessed by 5 year 100,000 mile rust through warrentees. I've also heard that some rust proofing treatments, if improperly applied, can make things worse because they plug the natural drain holes in the doors and body work that allows water to escape. Instead, the water is trapped inside the body work which accelerates the corrosion process.

As always, this is a decission you've got to make. Personally, I wouldn't bother. BTW, where did you read that the Odyssey's factory rust protection was sub par?

Good luck & enjoy the new ride,
Drive Safe,
Steve

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Steve, thank you for the information.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">

BTW, where did you read that the Odyssey's factory rust protection was sub par?
</font>
It was a review in the Wheel Section in Toronto Star, a couple of months ago. The author mentioned that he spotted rust development somewhere on Odyssey after a relatively short time in operation. He then speculated about the inadequate factory rust protection for Odyssey compared to other Honda vehicles (giving some details, which I don't remember).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts