Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All.......This is My First Honda, 1999 Odyssey with 140.000K
Not sure if its EX or LX. 7 Seater.
I brought the car knowing well it have a transmission issue, It would Buck a little and Slip Not Too bad But Very Noticeable.
But i got it Cheap and i figure the cost of repairs should even things out.
Everything about the car is well accepted for the age. BUT!
When i pulled the Tranny Dipstick it came with some kinda thick looking , Gear oil Smelling Fluid....The Dealer Got the car from the Auction and Don't Know the History....Is this Some Kind of Additive Or What? And Should I Drain and Refill with Transmission Fluid? Thanks.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Drain and refill quickly. That's not additive, thats burnt fluid.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Do the 4x drain and fill. The procedure is in this forum.
Honda's Z-1 fluid is recommended but some also use the cheaper Valvoline MaxLife Dex/Merc fluid. It takes around 13 qts to do it.
A different procedure is:
Some disconnect one of the transmission lines (not sure which one) and let it pump out a couple of quarts, refill, and repeat until the fluid coming out is clear. This method uses much less AT fluid AFAIK.
I don't know the procedure, but if you research it, you can make up your own mind.
I would definitely change it ASAP.
Buffalo4
PS: If you use the 4x drain and fill, make sure you get a new crush washer for the drain plug (use it on the final drain).

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Guys! You are right...the best way to change fluid is to open the output line...Start The Car...Wait till it stops coming..Then pour in New Fluid untill Clean...That way it drains The Torque Convertor Also...I Forgot about That.........
Also IF that is Trans.Fluid...I have Never seen Fluid THAT Thick!!!

Thanks Again

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
After you do the AT fluid change, I would sure check it regularly to see if it still staying clear. You may even want to do a 1x change around 100 miles just to see what is coming out.
Don't forget to check and clean the magnetic drain plug.
Even if doing the 'output line' method, I think you should first get the tranny good and warm and drain it, clean the magnetic drain plug and install a new washer and fill it with new fluid before using the output line method. This may get rid of some of the sludge, etc in the sump.

Buffalo
PS: Please post back and tell us the results in shifting, Do you think someone put in some thicker fluid on purpose in an attempt to make the AT seems better? Is that why you asked about a possible additive causing that?

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
Torontocity said:
Thanks Guys! You are right...the best way to change fluid is to open the output line...Start The Car...Wait till it stops coming..Then pour in New Fluid untill Clean...That way it drains The Torque Convertor Also...I Forgot about That.........
Also IF that is Trans.Fluid...I have Never seen Fluid THAT Thick!!!

Thanks Again
The best way to drain the torque converter is to get it to lock up. You can't do that in your driveway, unless you jack up the front of the car and are comfortable with the wheels spinning along as you run it through the gears. You have to drain, refill, drive out and run a few miles through all of the gears, come back & shut down.

Repeat, for a total of 4 drains & 4 refills.

OF

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Amazing Silver Bullet !!!

Hey Guys...I just finish the Silver Bullet Treatment
( Cleaning Of Linear and Shift Solenoid Filters )

In all Five, Two of them was CLOGGED.
After Cleaning and Changing of Fluid I would Say i got 90% Improvment!
No More Bucking No More Slipping....ITS AMAZING !!!

I brought this car Expecting to Spend 1500 To $2000...You Guys Just Saved me My life saving's.

I intend to drive a few days then drain and fill again...I might even go back and check the Filters again...

Thanks To All...........

·
Registered
8,850 Posts
Your next step should be to replace the AT fluid filter. Here is a link to the procedure. It too could be clogged from that gunky fluid. Wonder if someone added STP thinking it would help the shifting?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey Thanks davedrivesody....I thought i got all the Filters...I asked the Guy at Honda and He only Showed me The Same small Strainers....Where is this? Can i get From Top Or Below?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts