Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I searched and didn't really find an answer to this question. Today I stopped by the dealer to pick up the parts for checking/adjusting the valve lash on my '02. The guy at the parts desk said they didn't stock the upper intake gasket and he'd have to order it. He said their mechanics don't ask for it when they do valve lash adjustments, they only pick up the valve cover gasket kit (which is what I bought). He said either they don't remove the upper intake or they must re-use the gasket.

So I stopped by the service dept. and asked them what they did. The guy said they don't remove the upper intake and work around it.

So for those of you who have done this, what do you think? Are they yanking my chain? It looks like it would be a bit of a pain to leave the upper intake in place. The rear upper valve cover bolt looks like it would be difficult to remove with the upper intake in place. And if you can get it loose, will it actually come out of the mounting hole considering there isn't much clearance between it and the upper intake?

I'm thinking I'd better order an upper intake gasket from someone online and remove the upper intake. I think it looks like a big PITA to try and leave it in place, and I don't want to get things taken apart and realize that the gasket can't be re-used.

·
Registered
16 Posts
These gaskets are thin metallic gaskets and donot get damaged when you take off the intake manifold assembly. I certainly feel that the manifold will get in way of checking the clearences of the valves and needs to be taken off. You can also clean the carbon builtup in the EGR ports when you dismantle the manifold. Just make sure you use the correct torque when reassembling components.

·
Registered
665 Posts
As a heads up the intake manifold gasket kit doesn't cost that much and probably doesn't need to be replaced when you do the valve adjustment unless its a fairly old age of over 60k worth of mileage on it. If you think its better to replace it you may as well since the peace of mind is better than no peace of mind.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. The van has 106k miles on it. I ordered one intake gasket from Majestic. Hopefully that will take care of me. It really looks like it would be a pain to try and do the adjustment without removing the intake. I'm guessing that either they reuse the gasket at the Honda dealer or the parts and service guy didn't know what they were talking about.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I know it's in the manual to adjust the valves, but do you need it? I use a very reliable Honda-only shop, and they said to pass on the valve adjustment unless its needed. Which is something they determine by noise level and or performance.

They just did the 105k service on my van (minus all of the stuff I do myself) and left the valves where they were.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
sbpablop said:
I know it's in the manual to adjust the valves, but do you need it? I use a very reliable Honda-only shop, and they said to pass on the valve adjustment unless its needed. Which is something they determine by noise level and or performance.

They just did the 105k service on my van (minus all of the stuff I do myself) and left the valves where they were.
I'm not 100% sure it needs it, but I have no problem checking it for piece of mind. If I had to pay someone else to do it, I might pass. The valvetrain seems a little noisy at idle, but not ridiculous.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Did you do this???

I was told my rear valve cover gasket is leaking and if I am going to be in there, I might as well adjust the valve. My van has ~205,000 miles on it and to me I think the valves sound a bit noisy.
Performance has slumped a bit recently but I was attributing to the EGR being clogged.

Still contemplating if I am going to do the timing belt or just drive the van till the belt or some other major part breaks then junk it. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Naim said:
Did you do this???

I was told my rear valve cover gasket is leaking and if I am going to be in there, I might as well adjust the valve. My van has ~205,000 miles on it and to me I think the valves sound a bit noisy.
Performance has slumped a bit recently but I was attributing to the EGR being clogged.

Still contemplating if I am going to do the timing belt or just drive the van till the belt or some other major part breaks then junk it. :rolleyes:
Naim, I did this at 105,000 when changing the timing belt, and found that the exhaust valve clearances in the rear cylinder bank were right at the minimum (one slightly less). Tight valves could be contributing to your poor performance, and yes, the EGR passages were almost completely clogged on my van then, too.
Of course I had to remove upper intake to see that.........
Good luck!

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
I think I might have asked this question before. Do the valves get tighter on their own? I have watched bunch of Honda valve adjustment videos on youtube and in all cases, they had gotten lose.

What would cause valves to get tight over period of time?

- Vikas

·
Registered
34 Posts
sontakke said:

What would cause valves to get tight over period of time?

- Vikas
The seats wear or compress slightly, causing the gap between cam and follower to narrow.

However,re-reading Naim's post, he indicates the valves seem noisy, which wouldn't be characteristic of a tight valve.......

1 - 10 of 10 Posts