Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
5/31 - purchased a 2011 EX-L with 0.9% financing and got the CNA 10 year / 120,000 mile / $100 deductible for $1280. Had to drive 2 hours each way to pick it up.

6//1 I get on these forums and look at the prices others paid for their extended warranty. I see Bob at Hyannis Honda has Hondacare for 8 years / 120,000 miles / $0 deductible for $1280.

6/2 I compare the CNA coverage to Hondacare - they seem comparable in coverage. The biggest difference seems to be the length of coverage and the deductibles.

6/6 - I call the dealership to cancel. Only 1 guy is available and he is out for the day. I left a message. No call back.

6/7- I call the dealership to cancel. Guy is still out, no one else can help. I left a message and got no call back.

6/8 - I call the dealership to cancel. Guy is with a customer. I was encouraged to try back later. I left a message, no call back.

6/9 - I call the dealership to cancel. Guy is unavailable. I left a message and no call back. I am determined that if I can't speak to him tomorrow that I will talk to his manager.

6/10 - I call the dealership to cancel. The receptionist puts me through to him.

Guy - why do you want to cancel? Not that it is any of your business, but, because for the same price I can buy an 8 year / 120,000 mile / $0 deductible warranty from Honda. I will get to the 120,000 miles before I reach 10 years, everytime I use the warranty it will save me $100 that I could use for something else, AND its backed by Honda. My local dealership has never dealt with CNA.

He said OK. How are you going to pay for the Hondacare? Again, thinking, none of your business, I said I want you to refund the money to Honda since the extended warranty was included in the financing and put it towards our first 2 payments. (Even though I could pay cash).

He says, no it will only go to principal. He said, OK you have to bring the vehicle here for mileage certification and to sign paperwork.

I said it is a 4 hour drive and I don't have the time to do that. Please fax / email / certified mail it to me and I will sign an affidavit and notorize it, including the vehicle mileage.

He said it is policy to have the vehicle there.

I asked if I purchase Hondacare through them if they would then apply the refunded money to that since it is equal price (at least with Hyannis Honda). He said he would talk to his office manager and call me back on Monday.

Anyone else run into this issue:
1. Having to return to the dealership to SIGN paperwork, with your vehicle?
2. Applying it to the principal instead of payments?

Any suggestions, secret code words, or tips would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
427 Posts
5/31 - purchased a 2011 EX-L with 0.9% financing and got the CNA 10 year / 120,000 mile / $100 deductible for $1280. Had to drive 2 hours each way to pick it up.

6//1 I get on these forums and look at the prices others paid for their extended warranty. I see Bob at Hyannis Honda has Hondacare for 8 years / 120,000 miles / $0 deductible for $1280.

6/2 I compare the CNA coverage to Hondacare - they seem comparable in coverage. The biggest difference seems to be the length of coverage and the deductibles.

6/6 - I call the dealership to cancel. Only 1 guy is available and he is out for the day. I left a message. No call back.

6/7- I call the dealership to cancel. Guy is still out, no one else can help. I left a message and got no call back.

6/8 - I call the dealership to cancel. Guy is with a customer. I was encouraged to try back later. I left a message, no call back.

6/9 - I call the dealership to cancel. Guy is unavailable. I left a message and no call back. I am determined that if I can't speak to him tomorrow that I will talk to his manager.

6/10 - I call the dealership to cancel. The receptionist puts me through to him.

Guy - why do you want to cancel? Not that it is any of your business, but, because for the same price I can buy an 8 year / 120,000 mile / $0 deductible warranty from Honda. I will get to the 120,000 miles before I reach 10 years, everytime I use the warranty it will save me $100 that I could use for something else, AND its backed by Honda. My local dealership has never dealt with CNA.

He said OK. How are you going to pay for the Hondacare? Again, thinking, none of your business, I said I want you to refund the money to Honda since the extended warranty was included in the financing and put it towards our first 2 payments. (Even though I could pay cash).

He says, no it will only go to principal. He said, OK you have to bring the vehicle here for mileage certification and to sign paperwork.

I said it is a 4 hour drive and I don't have the time to do that. Please fax / email / certified mail it to me and I will sign an affidavit and notorize it, including the vehicle mileage.

He said it is policy to have the vehicle there.

I asked if I purchase Hondacare through them if they would then apply the refunded money to that since it is equal price (at least with Hyannis Honda). He said he would talk to his office manager and call me back on Monday.

Anyone else run into this issue:
1. Having to return to the dealership to SIGN paperwork, with your vehicle?
2. Applying it to the principal instead of payments?

Any suggestions, secret code words, or tips would be greatly appreciated.
Yes, you have to actually return to the actual dealership to sign paperwork. I paid separately for my ext warranty cash, so I don't now how that works with the financing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I did not get the extended warranty.
It's really hard to fight the dealership for claims because they always reason out that a certain issue is due to wear and tear.
I'm good with the 3 year/ 36,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty.

·
Super Moderator
13,642 Posts
Yes, you have to actually return to the actual dealership to sign paperwork. I paid separately for my ext warranty cash, so I don't now how that works with the financing.
It works the same way OP said it does if you financed through AHFC. I did the same for a maintenance agreement that I later cancelled. They never gave me my money back. Apparently, AHFC paperwork does not have clauses for the extras that you pay for out of pocket. So, be it warranty or maintenance agreement, though you will get your money back, the only option you have is that they send it to AHFC towards your principal. Been there done that. :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
update

So Monday came and went - no call from the finance manager. I called and left a message.

Tuesday - No call, so I call ask for finance manager and he is unavailable and they ask if I want to leave a voicemail. I say no. I've left 7 messages and hasn't called me back once. I ask for his supervisor. His supervisor is also unavailable but the receptionist promises that if I leave a name / number he'll call me back today. So...I do that.

2 hours later, the manager calls. He apologizes, says he doesn't know what he can do, but he'll call the warranty company, make sure that I won't have do drive unless it's absolutely necessary. He advised that he didn't know if he would get an answer that day but promises to call me back by the end of the day Wednesday.

Wednesday - no call from the finance manager or his supervisor. I called and left voicemails on both indicating my unhappiness that neither returned my calls, or kept their promises when they said they would call back.

I'll try the manager one or two more times before I start complaining to Honda.

I've decided I'm willing to drive 2 hours each way at this point. Anyone think instead of applying the refund to the principal they should give me the Hondacare at Bob with Hyannis Honda's price?

Anyone else have any suggestions.

·
Registered
419 Posts
That dealer is so full of CRAP. Your contract should give you 30 or 60 day cancelling period with NO issues. How many miles can you possibly have driven in 15 days.. ??

I had the same issue when I bought my 2010. The finance guy sold me an extended warranty (NOT HONDACARE) for $1599, I understood that I could cancel it no problems before 30 days. I signed the deal and left. After two days, I returned and met a lady at their business office and told her that I wanted to cancel the warranty. There was no vehicle mileage check because I was under the 30 days. The 1599 went back to HFS as principal.

Also, my trade was an '08 Odyssey with HondaCare bought through Bernardi. Once sold, I contacted Bernardi and they sent me a cancellation form which I faxed back with the power of attorney from the old van showing the old mileage. Got a check in the mail from Honda 4 weeks later.

Read your contract is it similar with the 30 days?

Anyways, next time find another dealer..

Good Luck.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I ended up getting the dealership to cancel the warranty without having to drive 4 hours. I submitted everything via fax after getting it notarized. They said the refunded money would go to principal of my loan.

Bob at Hyannis got me the Hondacare warranty I wanted 8 year / 120k / $0 deductible for less than the 3rd party warranty.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Don't mean to hijack this thread, but this topic fits exactly what we're facing so figured I'd post here instead of starting a new topic.

We recently bought a brand new '11 EX-L (currently less than 100 miles) and the stealer pushed a $2370 6yr/80k HondaCare plan. He said that we can get the money back if we don't use it at the end of the warranty, and that we'd be stupid to not get it (yeah, very unpleasant fellow). Now, I am looking to cancel and was wondering:

1. Can CA residents purchase HondaCare from companies outside CA?
  2. Any ideas if it's possible to get a full refund / cancellation without having to deal with the stealership? I read somewhere on here that I can cancel through HondaCare directly.
  3. We haven't received our cards/HondaCare package yet. Should I wait until I receive it to cancel?
Thanks for any help, this board looks like a great resource and I'm glad to have found it!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I ended up getting the dealership to cancel the warranty without having to drive 4 hours. I submitted everything via fax after getting it notarized. They said the refunded money would go to principal of my loan.

Bob at Hyannis got me the Hondacare warranty I wanted 8 year / 120k / $0 deductible for less than the 3rd party warranty.
Glad to hear, congrats on getting out and getting in to a great deal. By the way, we have the exact same '11 color / trim as you do! Hope you're enjoying your Odyssey as much as we are :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Update - Here's what we did:

- Called up HondaCare to cancel, they told us to contact the dealer to cancel.
- Called the dealer closest to us to cancel, they said they were out of forms to cancel and that they don't cancel HondaCare because it affects some quarterly number. I told them that I will tell what he said to HondaCare, that they are not allowing me to cancel. The finance guy got livid and dared me to go ahead.
- Called up HondaCare and told them what happened and asked them to send me the form directly.
- A few days later I received the cancellation form in the mail.
- Filled it out, faxed it in and in a few weeks we received a full refund (we did not finance the car, otherwise I think they would have credited the loan)
- Called up Saccucci HondaCare and purchased an 8yr/120k mile coverage.

Thanks again for this forum, which enabled us to get a better coverage for less than half of what we paid at the dealership.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi there,Thanks to this thread, I am going to cancel my Honda Care Maintenance and Honda Care Extended Warranty that I paid way too much for. Could anyone please share what the co-pays are, if any, for the Honda Care Maintenance? And if there are any co-pays for the Honda Care Extended Warranty?Such info would help me decide whether to re-buy online from the lower priced dealers suggested. Many thanks,David

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi there,Thanks to this thread, I am going to cancel my Honda Care Maintenance and Honda Care Extended Warranty that I paid way too much for. Could anyone please share what the co-pays are, if any, for the Honda Care Maintenance? And if there are any co-pays for the Honda Care Extended Warranty?Such info would help me decide whether to re-buy online from the lower priced dealers suggested. Many thanks,David
Did you successfully cancel your warranty and find a suitable alternative? Or did you just cancel without re-purchasing a new warranty?

I am in the exact same position. Purchased a new Odyssey yesterday, but now see that we paid way too much for it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi osteoace,

I cancelled first and might think about the extended warranty from the less costly alternatives suggested in this forum before the 6k mile mark.

The maintenance plan is totally not worth it. The dealer did not tell me that the plan covers up to a max of $X for oil changes and you'll have to pay the rest. So I won't be getting that at all. I had to wait for the policy materials to come in the mail to find that out.

Both plans have a 60 day free trial period. So there should be no problem with cancelling it during this time. I emailed my dealer who, after much coaxing, emailed me the cancellation forms. No need to notarize any forms, no need to drive the car in to show mileage to cancel.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Need to cancel my maintenance plan asap as well. Got the coupon book in the mail. It's a bunch of crap. Oil changes and tire rotations. That's it. Coupons in back of the book for the rest of the stuff that needs to be done. I'm embarrassed to say what I paid for the maintenance plan, but after I averaged oil changes and tire rotations on their own it was 1/2 of what I paid for the so called plan!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi osteoace,

I cancelled first and might think about the extended warranty from the less costly alternatives suggested in this forum before the 6k mile mark.

The maintenance plan is totally not worth it. The dealer did not tell me that the plan covers up to a max of $X for oil changes and you'll have to pay the rest. So I won't be getting that at all. I had to wait for the policy materials to come in the mail to find that out.

Both plans have a 60 day free trial period. So there should be no problem with cancelling it during this time. I emailed my dealer who, after much coaxing, emailed me the cancellation forms. No need to notarize any forms, no need to drive the car in to show mileage to cancel.
Thanks! I sent the email to the finance guy and cc'd my salesman on it. I got an immediate response and he said he'd email the forms Monday, which I accepted since it's Easter weekend. I have not and will not give them a rating until the policy is cancelled and I can see that the extra money we paid will go towards the principle. (The rating seemed very important to the salesman.) I think the plan we signed up for has a 30 day trial period, so I'm trying to move quickly on this.

Need to cancel my maintenance plan asap as well. Got the coupon book in the mail. It's a bunch of crap. Oil changes and tire rotations. That's it. Coupons in back of the book for the rest of the stuff that needs to be done. I'm embarrassed to say what I paid for the maintenance plan, but after I averaged oil changes and tire rotations on their own it was 1/2 of what I paid for the so called plan!!!
I, too, am too embarrassed to say what I paid for the plan. We haven't even gotten our coupon book, but I started researching how much others paid and it's almost twice as much. Ridiculous.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Hey guys.
Same boat :(. We purchased a 2016 Odyssey from a honda dealer in NC (the dealer is 60 miles away). Some how the slick finance guy talked us into buying a service plan offered by Fidelity Warranty Services. 4yr/50,000miles (every 5k miles) for $900 (rolled into the loan). He claimed it covers all routine maintenance including state inspections. The contract paper isn't very clear on what it covers and says I must go to the dealer where the car was purchased. (which is 60 miles away for me. I assumed it would be any honda dealer).

I realize this is crap. What are my opinions to cancel it asap? (The contract says contact the dealer to cancel it and within 30 to 60 days there is no penalty or just $50).
  • Since it's only been one day, dealer would not have processed the paper work and policy isn't issued at all yet. So can the dealership remove it? Does this means redoing the contract. Not sure how they would handle the $900 that was rolled into the loan amount (honda finance).

• OR should I wait like 10-15 days, for the policy to be issued then go to the dealer and fill out paper work to cancel it?
I don't know if I can get a hold of the finance guy easily. But wanted y'all first hand advice asap please.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Just to update. I went to the dealer a week later, filled up a form requesting cancellation. One week later called up Fidelity and confirmed they received it. Refund was issued to dealer who credit it back to my loan principal. So got the full money back in under 4 weeks without much follow up.

·
Super Moderator
13,642 Posts
Nice. Thank you for the follow up. Should help future members.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts