Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 2005-EX-L-RES. There is rattling coming from underneath the car. I only notice it when going in reverse in the morning and sometimes when idling. I looked under the car and I can see a big metal piece shaking. Is this the heat shield? If so, do I need to do anything about it? We are going on a long vacation in a few days, but I don't have alot of time. Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Go to Home Depot and get a large stainless steel strap clamp (at least 7 inches), should be less than $5.00. Go underneath the vehicle (drive up a curb so that two wheels are on the curb and two wheels in the street) and put the clamp on. Will take care of the noise.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Go to Home Depot and get a large stainless steel strap clamp (at least 7 inches), should be less than $5.00. Go underneath the vehicle (drive up a curb so that two wheels are on the curb and two wheels in the street) and put the clamp on. Will take care of the noise.
A cheaper and more permanent solution would be to "Go underneath the vehicle (drive up a curb so that two wheels are on the curb and two wheels in the street) and..." rip the heat shield off...

·
Registered
186 Posts
A cheaper and more permanent solution would be to "Go underneath the vehicle (drive up a curb so that two wheels are on the curb and two wheels in the street) and..." rip the heat shield off...
I'll side on design engineer that put that there. He had to analytically prove that the heat shield is necessary,, go before a review board and prove that it has to be there.. Then cost analysis why he needs over 50k of these per year,,, now we are talking $ millions over the vehicles life. NO don't just rip it off or hang it incorrectly. Go to any muffler shop and have them fix it correctly. :D

·
Registered
186 Posts
Just pray he is not the same guy that designed the transmissions
NOPE,, the design is there,,, they have marketing and cost analysis that always looks into reducing cost,,, they had this great idea that they can take out stucture to reduce cost and it left weak spots that only appear after extensive tests,, ie road test from millions of miles from customers.

a engineer will build with design margine,, ie 1.5x the design requirements,, This leaves room for REDUCTION,,, one of the incentives at the transmission manufacturing plant is bonus's for reductions,,, I know this because I once thought of taking a job there. :DD

·
Registered
372 Posts
+1.
I've had this happen on many of my cars. Take the damn thing off, you don't need it unless you're driving through 18" high grass or higher. Even 10" high grass won't ignite from the heat of a catalytic converter. How often do you do that?

·
Registered
249 Posts
a engineer will build with design margine,, ie 1.5x the design requirements,, This leaves room for REDUCTION,,, one of the incentives at the transmission manufacturing plant is bonus's for reductions,,, I know this because I once thought of taking a job there. :DD
Didn't fare so well for the Morton Thiokol engineers who designed the O-rings on the SRBs that accompanied the ill-fated Challenger flight in 1986 :eek:

·
Registered
186 Posts
Didn't fare so well for the Morton Thiokol engineers who designed the O-rings on the SRBs that accompanied the ill-fated Challenger flight in 1986 :eek:

Or the NASA management that knew the design was NOT ment to be frozen,, they decided to fly anyway,, aerospace engineers are the best,,, but I'm biased,,, re-read that analysis report and decide who is to blame for that failure,,

1 - 10 of 10 Posts