Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it finally happened. But I consider myself lucky for it have lasted this long. I have a 2004 Odyssey with 264,000 miles on the original transmission (and engine). Bought the thing used in 2013. When I first bought it, the transmission shuddered a bit in low speed in 2nd or 3rd gear (cant remember exactly). After 3x drain and fill with Amsoil Fuel Efficient, the shutter went away for 140,000 problem free miles until the other day when it threw a P0740 code and started to make a whining sound that follows the RPMs in intensity and briefly stops when shifting (slowly) into drive or reverse. I did a 2x drain and fill with Valvoline Max Life (runs thinner at op temps). Vehicle seemed fine for a few drives (whining still), but then one morning while driving, it "kicked" out of gear and wouldn't catch gear or shift (like being in neutral). I managed to get it parked somewhere while coasting. Came back an hour later.....it shifts into gear now, but with same delayed shifting before it went out of gear.

Engine has at least another 50-60k or more in it, I think.

I've looked into several options with the tranny. I'm going to check the solenoids in a few days, but I'm certain that not all of it.

I could buy a buy a used trans w/ 50-75k miles or go manufactured route. I fully believe the van is worth putting 1,500$ into if that gets another 50-60k out of it.

Any advice, opinions, recommendations on this.
Used tranny? Reman. tranny? Or push it off a cliff? :-(

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
When this happened to our 01, got a reman tranny. The engine was great and since I did lots of DIY, all replaced parts were OEM where applicable and best AM for others. Fixing the tranny was the cheapest/best option. We slowly upgraded to a 3rd gen afterwards just to have at least one newer one. If you do not have other issues, putting 1500 is worth it.

·
Registered
8,274 Posts
The engine will probably outlast just about everything else. However, after 264,000 miles, you can expect to replace things like radiator, alternator, struts, etc.

If you can DIY most of those, I too would put a reman transmission in it. This generation was built like a tank (with the exception perhaps of the tranny). With regular maintenance and timely repairs, you should easily get another 50,000 miles out of it.

Dave

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The engine will probably outlast just about everything else. However, after 264,000 miles, you can expect to replace things like radiator, alternator, struts, etc.

If you can DIY most of those, I too would put a reman transmission in it. This generation was built like a tank (with the exception perhaps of the tranny). With regular maintenance and timely repairs, you should easily get another 50,000 miles out of it.

Dave
Yea. I'm mostly a DIY'er. And least a TRY'er.

Radiator, hoses, some gaskets were replaced around 180k-ish and engine mounts (not rear one). Front-end linkages about 20k ago. No struts yet, it's a little rough on bad roads, but tolerable. Uses about a quart to 3/4 quart of oil every 5,000 miles (No leaks or smoke) with fairly mixed driving (city, highway).

I want to at least get it to 300k just to say I did (without getting too crazy) All this living in the rust belt.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
I'm not having much interest selling my original owner 236k mile '99 with a dealer-replaced AT, with engine mounts, front suspension, AT cooler, solar battery maintainer, timing belt, anything you can think of that needs to be done having been done ... California car its whole life with virtually no rust anywhere ... no accidents ... asking $2750 now. I'm pretty sure mine will make it to 300k without needing major work of any kind.

So far, the only people even interested are scammers.

Not trying to sell my car in this thread, just offering a data point for how little these cars are actually worth once they get old, if that helps in the repair vs. cliff decision making. Even with my car, my wife is suggesting we may need to just give it away.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I had an Accord with 280k on it. I kept it maintained 100% and it was a great car. But we needed a bigger car. I sold it for $600. That's the most I could get for it and the lady that bought it from me clearly did not trust what I said. I saw that car on the road commuting back and forth for years. She sure got her $600 worth.

·
Registered
13,601 Posts
So you changed the trans fluid 3X 140,000 miles ago and never did any maintenance drain & fills since just recently?

·
Registered
15 Posts
So it finally happened. But I consider myself lucky for it have lasted this long. I have a 2004 Odyssey with 264,000 miles on the original transmission (and engine). Bought the thing used in 2013. When I first bought it, the transmission shuddered a bit in low speed in 2nd or 3rd gear (cant remember exactly). After 3x drain and fill with Amsoil Fuel Efficient, the shutter went away for 140,000 problem free miles until the other day when it threw a P0740 code and started to make a whining sound that follows the RPMs in intensity and briefly stops when shifting (slowly) into drive or reverse. I did a 2x drain and fill with Valvoline Max Life (runs thinner at op temps). Vehicle seemed fine for a few drives (whining still), but then one morning while driving, it "kicked" out of gear and wouldn't catch gear or shift (like being in neutral). I managed to get it parked somewhere while coasting. Came back an hour later.....it shifts into gear now, but with same delayed shifting before it went out of gear.

Engine has at least another 50-60k or more in it, I think.

I've looked into several options with the tranny. I'm going to check the solenoids in a few days, but I'm certain that not all of it.

I could buy a buy a used trans w/ 50-75k miles or go manufactured route. I fully believe the van is worth putting 1,500$ into if that gets another 50-60k out of it.

Any advice, opinions, recommendations on this.
Used tranny? Reman. tranny? Or push it off a cliff? :-(
The automatic transmission in my 2004 Odyssey went out at 103K miles in 2012. I had the Honda dealer replace it with a Honda transmission. They cost about $3,500-$4k.
Here's what I learned:
1) Always use the manufacturer's recommended transmission fluid in ANY car.
I did not do that until after the repair.
2) Honda does not repair transmissions. they only replace them. If I have to replace a transmission in a Honda ( I also own an Acura RDX), it will be a Honda transmission or I dump the car.
3) This year has known issues with transmissions overheating. Your replacement Honda transmission will likely be a different and newer model than the original.
4) I full expect to get 100K miles out of this replaced transmission. That will be another 8 years of driving.
the vehicle's life span then will be 24 years.

·
Registered
494 Posts
OP. I thought Honda Dealers, send out the transmissions for rebuild. And then re-install them. Did not think they put in "new" transmissions. Or am I misreading your post. :)

·
Registered
13,601 Posts
Dealers install remanufactured transmissions and send yours off as a core. At least that's what they do on old ones like ours. When the trans failed in my wife's 03 early on, with honda picking up a little of the cost, I paid extra to get the 04 trans with the extra cooling internal. That one was new from Honda. I doubt they have any of those anymore.

·
Registered
8,274 Posts
Look through the grill for an ATF heat exchanger. It's usually silver color when new, but it could have changed to camo grey now. Its size is usually more or less 6" x 12".

If you see nothing there, look through the lower grill. That's also where you would see a factory cooler - down low at the bottom of the radiator, and long and narrow in size.

Check also that the second gear lube recall has been done. Under the hood, look down beneath the master cylinder at the top of the transmission. You should not see the 24mm ATF filler plug. Under the recall, it should have been replaced with a black tube.

Dave

·
Registered
13,601 Posts
What I was talking about is the trans that got put into late 04 builds. In 02, 03 and most of the 04 run there was a recall
to add an oil jet cooler to the fill hole to lube a certain gear. Most of the vans you will find have that oil jet unless they were replaced by Honda. You can look up recalls on any Honda by entering the VIN on their site.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
1) Always use the manufacturer's recommended transmission fluid in ANY car.
I did not do that until after the repair.
Not always true, Look at the Honda Z-1 ATF that helped ruin a lot of Odyssey trannys, but, many like you, touted ALWAYS, I SAID ALWAYS, USE THE MFG recommended ATF and NEVER use anything else.
In general, the mfg recommended atf is good enough BUT not always the BEST for your tranny.

Buffalo4

1 - 14 of 14 Posts