Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am buying a 2008 odyssey with 36K miles. Dealer is convincing me to buy a bumber to bumber 100k/5yr extended warranty at $2000. Van has no Nav or DVD. I am almost tempted given the transmission problem history.

Is it worth it given that the power train is covered till 60K miles? Has the tranny issues been resolved? Dealer says yes. He also mentioned that the elctricals are complex in these and may have problems before the mechanicals. I am not mechanically savvy. Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
747 Posts
I am buying a 2008 odyssey with 36K miles. Dealer is convincing me to buy a bumber to bumber 100k/5yr extended warranty at $2000. Van has no Nav or DVD. I am almost tempted given the transmission problem history.

Is it worth it given that the power train is covered till 60K miles? Has the tranny issues been resolved? Dealer says yes. He also mentioned that the elctricals are complex in these and may have problems before the mechanicals. I am not mechanically savvy. Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks.
Honda dealer? Get them to "certify" it from Honda. Comes with 100K powertrain warranty. Cheaper than $2000 dollar third party warranty.

·
Registered
513 Posts
From what I understand about warranties, if the van has 36K and is 3 years old, that is 2K$ for a 2 years/64Kmiles warranty. Sounds expensive to me...

My usual remark on extended warranties: The company selling the warranty is expecting to make money on it (I've heard of 50% margins on those...), so you should expect that repairs for the period would be less than the sales price of the warranty. Lemons exist, but most warranties pay out less than their cost otherwise the warranty companies would be out of business. By not buying the warranty you're betting your van won't have problems. By buying it, you're limiting your losses...

If you're not the betting kind or if a new transmission would be too big a financial cost for you, you can pay the 2K$ now to sleep better.

Hope this helps,

Nicolas

P.s. For reference, we got one on our previous car and it ended up being a good deal, with a head leak and other smaller stuff pushing the bill to over what we'd paid for the warranty. On our Ody we only got the extra 1 year/20kKM that certifying it got us (we mostly did it to get a lower rate on the loan), as we can afford a big repair now.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Just for price comparison - I paid about $1300 for an 8 year/120K Hondacare. I don't think you can get Hondacare for used car (though it might be worth asking).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Similar situation - buying an 06 Touring Ody with 37,000 miles so I am looking to cover the nav, dvd, power this, power that. What 3rd party warranty company did you check? I am getting quotes from EasyCare for about $1300 for 4Y/48,000miles.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts