Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my van has been running perfectly fine other than a small oil leak I need to eventually get fixed. Haven't noticed any engine problems. Then, as many of you already know, I got hit with a giant freezing / snow storm (I live in Dallas). I think it was around day 4 of the freeze/snow, I went to start my van to drive up to the corner store. Check engine light came on and my FIXD app ran the codes and it came back with 7 codes (P0300 thru P0306 all misfire codes). It is lists the codes as a critical error which basically means dont drive long without getting it checked or it could cause severe damage to the engine. Well I researched the code and I saw that sometimes battery issue can cause the codes to come up. Well my van had been sitting in freezing (and I mean single digit - 20 below wind chills) for days when I finally went to start it and this came up. I didn't drive it any more and this weekend when it was back in the upper 60s I went out and started the van. Check engine light still on. I cleared the light with my FIXD app and started the van up a few more times and let it run about 10 mins each time. Light never came back on. I drove the van around town today probably about 20 miles and the light never came back. Van and engine are running perfectly fine. Do you think this was a random issue brought on by the environmental conditions or should I still take it and have it looked at? I figured if it really was a misfire issue then the engine would do it again and trip the code or I would experience some sort of engine issue where it was acting up. Thoughts?

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
1,010 Posts
It could be. I never drove my Ody in the storm (I live in the Dallas area as well). I did drive my Accord, but I didn't have these issues.

Have you been keeping up with your maintenance? You're overdue for spark plugs if you haven't replaced them yet, and although unrelated, the timing belt.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Van is currently on 158k miles.

Timing Belt (and water pump) was replaced in June of 2019 at 148k miles.

Honestly couldn't tell you when the plugs were replaced last. I've had the van since July of 2016 at around 123k miles and I've never had them replaced.

Guess it wouldn't hurt to do them since it is unknown.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
If you have an EX-L or Touring model those misfire codes are often an indicator of VCM issues. You should disable VCM if you have it.

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
1,010 Posts
His signature indicates he has an EX, so if accurate no VCM to worry about.
Yep. That's why I didn't mention it either. Otherwise I would have.

·
Registered
513 Posts
So my van has been running perfectly fine other than a small oil leak I need to eventually get fixed. Haven't noticed any engine problems. Then, as many of you already know, I got hit with a giant freezing / snow storm (I live in Dallas). I think it was around day 4 of the freeze/snow, I went to start my van to drive up to the corner store. Check engine light came on and my FIXD app ran the codes and it came back with 7 codes (P0300 thru P0306 all misfire codes). It is lists the codes as a critical error which basically means dont drive long without getting it checked or it could cause severe damage to the engine. Well I researched the code and I saw that sometimes battery issue can cause the codes to come up. Well my van had been sitting in freezing (and I mean single digit - 20 below wind chills) for days when I finally went to start it and this came up. I didn't drive it any more and this weekend when it was back in the upper 60s I went out and started the van. Check engine light still on. I cleared the light with my FIXD app and started the van up a few more times and let it run about 10 mins each time. Light never came back on. I drove the van around town today probably about 20 miles and the light never came back. Van and engine are running perfectly fine. Do you think this was a random issue brought on by the environmental conditions or should I still take it and have it looked at? I figured if it really was a misfire issue then the engine would do it again and trip the code or I would experience some sort of engine issue where it was acting up. Thoughts?
Replace spark plugs, clean ignition coils and add dielectric grease. Clear codes

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
842 Posts
Yeah, change those plugs. Can't trust that the previous owner changed them shortly before getting rid of van.

One point...the threat of damage from driving with misfire condition is of ruining the catcon, not the engine.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
There are many spark plugs that fit, but get only OEM NGK IZFR5K-11 per the manual.

Reactions: thscott

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
All of what was said above is appropriate, but something probably was wet when you started your van, causing a misfire on all the cylinders. Next time open hood, shut off engine, and look for wetness/dampness.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts