Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought my wife a a 2010 Odyssey EX-L. Whoohoo! Love it already. The dealer only offered us $2,500 for our 2002 LX with 130K, so I decided to sell it myself for about $5,000. I then began to think about:

1. how much roomier the 2002 Odyssey is than my 2006 Accord LX, especially since I am 6'7" tall;
2. how much easier it is to climb into since I am 52 years old;
3. how much stuff I can haul around in it, since I've sometimes kind of wanted a pickup truck.

The idea crossed my mind of selling my 2006 Accord LX for its book value of $11,000 and keeping the 2002 Odyssey LX for myself. My only hesitation is a concern that the transmission may decide to die at any minute. It's not showing any signs, but I know it's a historical problem area. Is there a way to test the transmission for remaining life? Might it be possible to purchase a warranty that would cover the transmission to 200K miles? What would it cost to fix the transmission if it does quit?

The van is still in great mechanical shape and we've never had any serious problems with it. We've always done the 30K service intervals at the dealer. She ain't as beautiful as she was when she was young, but I still love her and hate to say goodbye.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I would sell it if you can get $5k for it. But for $2500, I'd just keep it.

Not sure if it make sense keeping an 02 w/130k over an 06 w/XX miles. To me, newer is better.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I'd keep the Accord, but getting 6'7" in that car would be a tight fit. IMO, chances are good that your 02 transmission will go, and although Honda might help since they had so many problems with the 02 transmissions, I am guessing you will probably still have to pay one or two thousand for a replacement. So, I'd have to go with the lower mileage, newer car. Besides, two minivans in the driveway? Good luck.

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
tom34diy said:
I'd keep the Accord, but getting 6'7" in that car would be a tight fit. IMO, chances are good that your 02 transmission will go, and although Honda might help since they had so many problems with the 02 transmissions, I am guessing you will probably still have to pay one or two thousand for a replacement. So, I'd have to go with the lower mileage, newer car. Besides, two minivans in the driveway? Good luck.
what he said^

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
I guess it depends on how many miles you drive and what type of driving. If having a break-down and some repairs here and there aren't a big deal...I wouldn't have a problem keeping the van particularly if it's more comfortable and convenient. There's a $6,000 spread here for your savings account....which would cover many years of repairs including a transmission. The Van can only depreciate so much more....but the Accord still has a lot of depreciating to do.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Sell the car, put $5000 away for repairs on the van, if and when you might need them.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Recent reviews here rave abot trany rebuilds by Gator Transmissions, which can be installed locally by any ASE certified shop. The purchaser said he paid around $2,000 and thought the finished product was better than new.

Lucky for me, this place is right here in Chicagoland. I recently went through a similar thinking process and decided to keep the Ody as our main family vehicle up to 200,000 miles (currently at 157,000). I've had it since new and know it has been driven well and maintained meticulously (by me). Even if I have to shell out the $2k I think I come out ahead.

Of course, I still have other repairs to worry about too, but I decided that I like my odds.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Gator transmissions users don't have enough miles on them to warrant the recent reviews.

Jasper on the other hand does, but either way put aside about 4k for a possible failed transmission.

Also if your transmission hasn't acted up ever just get a transmission cooler, transmission filter installed and make the switch over to amsoil synthetic. Change it out every 30k until it dies.

For me, i thought mine was going to go when I did this 50k ago and its still going strong. I've still got the cash sitting and waiting for a level ten upgrade, but I may put it towards a new van if it makes it past 200k.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the advice. I decided to sell the van for $3,900 and kept the Accord, though it wasn't an easy decision and I already miss the van. I'd miss my Accord too if I had sold it though. My decision was based on the following: It only took 30 minutes to sell the van for that much on Craigslist and I thought it would probably take a lot longer to sell my Accord for $11,000 since a new Kia or Hyundai sedan can be bought for about the same. Also, I decided that I didn't really want to deal with future transmission problems. And, finally, I didn't really want two minivans in the driveway.

I'm hoping to put 200,000 miles on the Accord and then perhaps buy a full electric vehicle for short trips around town when I retire in 5-6 years. I still don't have a pickup truck and don't want to put a bunch of junk in my wife's nice Odyssey, so I'll have to rent a truck when I need to do dirty work. This is actually the third Odyssey we've owned.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
An open topped utility trailer behind your wife's Odyssey makes a nice substitute for most pickup truck duties - if you have a place to store it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts