Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I'm making the leap to purchasing a new van. The old one has served us well. I have some questions though.

1. are there any known transmission issues: I have a family member with a 2018 and hers has a permanent slip in the transmission that every dealer says is normal or not a problem. I've driven it, it chugs between 2nd and 3rd or so, and it feels like it's stalling though it's not. Is this a real thing or has she been fed a line?

2. are there any issues with the AC as with the later model CRVs? I had a friend who was victim of the Black Death in his AC which was an expensive ordeal. I didn't know if the new Ody's have anything like this going on.

Thanks in advance for allowing me to beg outside my normal forum :)

·
Registered
347 Posts
2020 has a new 10 speed that has a lot less problems.

Some experience warm AC blowing, but buying new you'll have 36K miles to figure out if you're one of few unlucky ones.

As far as maintenance, there is no more set schedule on 30k/60k/90k like before. It's all off when your computer tells you to go in and for which service.

2020 is the best of the 18-20 as they all have 10 speed regardless of trim level. We went with EX-L without RES and it seems to be a good choice as a few users that have RES are reporting issues and Android auto/ Apple Car Play provide you with always updating navigation.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
2020 has a new 10 speed that has a lot less problems.

Some experience warm AC blowing, but buying new you'll have 36K miles to figure out if you're one of few unlucky ones.

As far as maintenance, there is no more set schedule on 30k/60k/90k like before. It's all off when your computer tells you to go in and for which service.

2020 is the best of the 18-20 as they all have 10 speed regardless of trim level. We went with EX-L without RES and it seems to be a good choice as a few users that have RES are reporting issues and Android auto/ Apple Car Play provide you with always updating navigation.
Hey thanks. I saw that---10 speed trans now.

Does the apple car play come standard now?

·
Registered
347 Posts
Nice. I tried Edmunds to see what my inbox would get. So far I'm getting prices around $34000. Houston area.
Search for a thread called "2020 Odyssey Prices Paid" to see what people have paid.

We paid $34,650 for ours plus tax etc up in Washington state last November. 2020 Honda Odyssey EX-L. No nav or res.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Worth mentioning regarding maintenance cost increases, be prepared for much higher prices for oil changes and transmission fluid service compared to what you have been accustomed to. The new Ody, as well as many newer cars, requires 0W20 oil which only comes as a synthetic blend or full synthetic. My local independent charges $34.95 for dino oil, $49.95 for syn blend, and $74.95 for full syn. Transmission fluid DW1 list price is $8.25/qt while the ATF Type 2.0 for the 10 speed is $11.54/qt, though far better price than the Type 3.1 for the 9 speed that costs $48.52/qt. No that is not a typo, but just another reason to avoid the 9 speed. Whoever decided to use the 9 speed made by ZF should be shot IMO. I know I won't ever own one.

·
Registered
347 Posts
On the same token, you get longer periods between oil changes because they're based on actual engine use, not miles on the odometer.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for all of this. I'm starting the "bidding" process to see what I can come up with. gonna miss my '07. that thing is a beast and roomy inside.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Was just quoted last week on a 2020 EX $30,000 plus ttl ended up buying a 2019 for $28,500 plus ttl. Good luck on your search we love it so far! Came from a 2015 Town and county

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Does anyone know if the 2007 cargo tray in the back (the rubber insert) will fit in the 2020? It's damn near unbreakable and I hate to let it go.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Does anyone know if the 2007 cargo tray in the back (the rubber insert) will fit in the 2020? It's damn near unbreakable and I hate to let it go.
I wish I had kept my thick, high quality ribber cargo mat from our 2004, regardless whether the fit was perfect or not. The crummy plastic fold-up (not very well!) mat that came in our 2004 is just another example of the cheap, downgrade items so prevalent in the newest Odys....

Dornier, If you have the old rubber cargo mat you are going to get rid of, please let me know!
I'll trade-in my plastic mat on a purchase from you! ;)

·
Registered
47 Posts
I went from a 2006 to a 2020. Besides general maintenance stuff others covered here are a few minor things I had to deal with transitioning:
  • turning radius. Larger now, I really notice it when making tight turns or backing into parking spaces
  • flat rear cargo. New one dips, it’s a bit of a pita
  • side windows fog up more easily. Climate in general doesn’t seem to hold temp as well. On the bright side the rear climate zone helps keep kid farts from making their way up from the second row ;)
  • windshield wipers are not as effective when cleaning window. Fine for rain.
  • center console far less useful then the tray and the empty space under it we had before.
there is a lot to like although I recently had my first computer glitch at 5k (not infotainment). See how I feel if that happens again. 10 speed tranny a nice change and I don’t know how I lived without adaptive cruise control.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Chris,

Thanks for that. I've driven a friend's (2015) and it was nice. I know I'll never get the cavern that my '07 has ever again.

I'd like to think that proper use of rain-x and good blades will help with that. I'm working with a dealer right now who is asking $35.9 out the door for an EX-L. I'm trying to get that down, depending on what add-ons they're offering. I don't need wheel locks or nitrogen and such.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I went from a 2006 to a 2020. Besides general maintenance stuff others covered here are a few minor things I had to deal with transitioning:
  • turning radius. Larger now, I really notice it when making tight turns or backing into parking spaces
  • side windows fog up more easily. Climate in general doesn’t seem to hold temp as well. On the bright side the rear climate zone helps keep kid farts from making their way up from the second row ;)
  • center console far less useful then the tray and the empty space under it we had before.
there is a lot to like although I recently had my first computer glitch at 5k (not infotainment). See how I feel if that happens again. 10 speed tranny a nice change and I don’t know how I lived without adaptive cruise control.
I just bought a 2019 and was pleasantly surprised how tight the turn radius is compared to my old 2015 townand country. Really enjoying it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
That may be so but it is wider than a 2007 Ody. Not by a lot, but enough that I notice it after having driven the other for 15 years.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
On the same token, you get longer periods between oil changes because they're based on actual engine use, not miles on the odometer.
this has been the case since 2005 model year, regardless of trim

·
Registered
383 Posts
To me, there is one big thing I don't like in the ACC, that is when you are coming up to a vehicle (car or Semi) on the Interstate, especially if you are the only ones for at least a half mile, the ACC brings you up behind slowly and than holds speed behind the vehicle, this said vehicle slows down and the ACC slows you down to match speed, and follow him until another vehicle passes both of you, then you realize your had been doing 50 MPH for unknown amount of miles. I have done this one to many times going between Omaha and Des Moines. 😢

·
Registered
444 Posts
In the scenario above, enable ACC beep. The vehicle will beep when it is actively slowing down due to another vehicle.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts