Honda Odyssey Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
We’re looking at buying a recently used minivan and are down to the 2015-2017 Odyssey and the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica. I’ve done quite a bit of research but have always found the forums to be more reliable than a lot of other sources, so any input on the below would be appreciated (whether personal experience or what you’ve read or learned online):

• How is the 2015-2017 Odyssey’s reliability generally? Are there any known issues / weak points that I should be aware of going in? The reviews of the Odyssey are generally favorable, but I’ve seen it ranked pretty low on reliability (including in Consumer Reports). I know earlier Odyssey generations had known transmission issues, so just wondering if there’s anything like that to be aware of that affects this generation. I’ve never owned a car with this much tech and electronics in it, so I’m particularly worried about electronics (like adjustable seats, buttons, screens, etc.) having issues and being expensive to fix.
  • Related to the reliability question, any thoughts on getting a CPO vs. non-CPO Odyssey? Do you think it’s worth it?
  • Any tips about features/options to definitely get vs. ones to avoid (or ones that have known issues)?
  • Lastly, it would be great to hear anyone’s thoughts about comparisons between the 2015-2017 Odyssey and the 2017-2018 Chrysler Pacifica, including reasons you chose the Odyssey over the Pacifica.

·
Registered
7 Posts
We purchased our 2015 Touring 2 years ago, and did some comparisons with other vehicles, but the primary consideration in getting the Odyssey was that my wife could transfer in and out to a power chair most easily with the Odyssey. We are at 80k, and have installed a VCM Muzzler to prevent any future problems. No problems so far, except a left side sliding door the did not want to open in some cold weather (in Florida, so COLD=50°F). It's now working better. We did lots of year comparisons with 2011 through 2016 Odysseys , and were not planning on a Touring or an Elite, but one came in used and we jumped for it. No real concern about reliability when we purchased it, except earlier year's transmission problems.
I just wanted to chime in for the 2015. Less fancy electronics to go wrong on the 2015.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Its been a long time since I've been around the Ody Club forum but felt compelled to chime in here after receiving the email snippet about this topic.

I've owned 4 Odysseys over the years (2000, 2004, 2005 & 2009). My 2nd gen's had the usual tranny problems. My 3rd gen's were better in the transmission dept but my 05' seemed to be more problematic. We usually buy our Ody's with higher mileage (100k) and then drive them about about 2-3 yrs and sell them before the bottom falls out price-wise. My 09' seemed to be by far the best of the bunch and IMHO was when Honda finally began to get Odyssey sorted out.

I say all of this because as we were approaching our next move van/car-wise, I just couldn't get comfortable with where Honda's reputation was going with the next gen (and beyond) vehicles. I even read an article where the Honda CEO stated that they had lost their way and were working hard to get back to what made them good. For me this meant I would have had to buy my next used Ody in this "lost way' period.

In the meantime, I had purchased an 05' Tundra and it had been a solid reliable beast for a few years. With the kids getting older and my wife wanting to get out of the mini van mom image....I decided to buy her a 10' Sequioa and we've never looked back. To be honest, beginning in my college years I've owned only Hondas and I still prefer the way they drive and look. But our current Toyotas have proven super solid, trouble free and great values. I think I'm slowly moving over to the Toyota club and if I were buying another mini van I think it would be a Sienna.

To get this back on topic...I absolutely love the way the Pacificas look. They hit a home run with the styling. But unless I was buying very low mileage and with a warranty (things I don't normally do), I just wouldn't be able to bring myself to commit to a Chrysler product.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I’d only consider the Odyssey or the Sienna. The Toyota offering probably better long term reliability but I find the Odyssey ergonomically better And slightly better inside. Anything made by Chrysler is more or less disposable. We’ve had our 2014 Odyssey EX-L for 43,000 of its 83,000 miles and its been completely trouble free. Oil changes, brakes, tires, and tranny drain and fill. That’s it. It may be for sale very soon though since my kids are out of car seats now and wife wants something smaller.
I’d be interested in your van, where are you located?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
120 Posts
I've got a '12 EX-L with 77K miles on it and the truth is reliability has not been it's strong point. It's never left us stranded, but it was close when it started to misfire, but I expected better. First, there have been 4 recalls on this car, minor stuff but annoying to waste time at the dealer. We had the dreaded VCM caused engine misfire that required major engine work. Luckily I found out about the secret Honda warranty that covered the $3k+ cost of repairs. The car was out of commission for a week getting that work done. Very annoying, again. The front rotors warp at the drop of a hat. Last month while changing the oil I found that both front outer CV joint boots had cracked and leaked out grease. I had to replace both axles. In the past I owned a '05 Town and Country and in the 3 years I owned it it only had one recall and no other issues. I did get rid of it because during the last recall fix the dealer screwed something up and refused to acknowledge or fix their mistake.

If I was buying now and comparing all three minivans, I would probably end up with the Pacifica. This is based on owning the Odyssey and having rented both Sienna's and Pacificas. Odysseys drive nice, but the Sienna has a better powertrain package. The Sienna rides way too soft for my liking, it doesn't handle very well either. The Pacifica drives better than the Odyssey and the powertrain is equal, or slightly better than the Sienna. The Pacifica also has the killer feature Stow-N-Go. My T&C had that feature and we loved it. Now when I need cargo space I have to pull the heavy and awkward to carry seats out and find a place to store them. Honda and Toyota should try to get something similar in their vans.

·
Registered
6 Posts
We’re looking at buying a recently used minivan and are down to the 2015-2017 Odyssey and the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica. I’ve done quite a bit of research but have always found the forums to be more reliable than a lot of other sources, so any input on the below would be appreciated (whether personal experience or what you’ve read or learned online):

• How is the 2015-2017 Odyssey’s reliability generally? Are there any known issues / weak points that I should be aware of going in? The reviews of the Odyssey are generally favorable, but I’ve seen it ranked pretty low on reliability (including in Consumer Reports). I know earlier Odyssey generations had known transmission issues, so just wondering if there’s anything like that to be aware of that affects this generation. I’ve never owned a car with this much tech and electronics in it, so I’m particularly worried about electronics (like adjustable seats, buttons, screens, etc.) having issues and being expensive to fix.
  • Related to the reliability question, any thoughts on getting a CPO vs. non-CPO Odyssey? Do you think it’s worth it?
  • Any tips about features/options to definitely get vs. ones to avoid (or ones that have known issues)?
  • Lastly, it would be great to hear anyone’s thoughts about comparisons between the 2015-2017 Odyssey and the 2017-2018 Chrysler Pacifica, including reasons you chose the Odyssey over the Pacifica.
We own a 2014 Ody EXL with 95k miles. At 50k I replaced the front rotors and then started D&F the ATF at every 15k miles. We toll a 1,000lb trailer with an ATV and 2 small dirt bikes. I do not have an AT Cooler installed. My major complaint is a lot of rattles. Other than that, it has been a very reliable van.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I can't comment on Chrysler, but I can tell you about my experience with Odyssey vs. Hyundai/Kia. I bought a brand new 07 Entourage and really liked it for 130,000 miles until it got totaled. It seemed like an attempt to be like an Odyssey, only with some better designs and lower price. Only major complaint: The dreaded front brake rotor warpage, which Honda also has. But replacing them every 20K miles is cheap if you do it yourself. When it got totaled, I couldn't find a Sedona or Entourage nearby to replace it, but I found a 2010 Odyssey EXL, so I bought it. It has been okay, but I miss the Hyundai because it got better mileage (27 on highway vs. 23 with the Honda) and it had more legroom, hydraulic hood struts, better placement of interior light switch, plus it didn't have the infamous VCM disaster. (Thanks to the guys in this forum for teaching me about the bypass).

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am currently in the same predicament and looking for a replacement for the 05. It's either the Sienna or the Pacifica although with a Chrysler I may have flashbacks of my first mechanics job at a Chrysler dealer pulling transmissions out of minivans - EVERY day.
I've worked on cars for about 30 years now and have always driven older vehicles and will say that this Odyssey has been one of the worst I've ever owned. The main complaint I have is the van has nearly killed us twice due to the engine limp mode feature activating on a four lane highway and the VSA activating due to the wheel sensor wire shorting against the axle shaft because it wasn't clipped in during the transmission replacement.
Having the transmission fail on a Sunday night during a 10 hour trip with two sleeping kids in the car was not good.
I don't mind routine things like brakes, hoses, batteries and such as I expect these issues but when the car takes a crap on the highway and you have figure out how to navigate to safety with the DVD blaring and trucks barreling down on you just to shut it off and restart with no apparent problem is bad.
Next van is either Toyota or Chrysler.

·
Registered
32 Posts
In the movie, Get Shorty, John Travolta called the Pontiac Transvan "the Cadillac of Minivans".

View attachment 153232
laughs, I stand corrected. Tell the truth, I forgot Pontiac (and Olds) made a minivan. It also seems kind of silly Cadillac didn't.

edit: Well we both can take a refresher. It was an Olds Silouette (?) in the movie. I like the look. Hate the name,*not a fan of Odyssey either. Honda Odyssey to me was an ATV in the '70s. Everybody made a van til Honda and Toyota made a proper minivan. Then they fell out of favor.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts