Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I would like a tow hitch on the Odyssey I am considering purchasing. I have gotten mixed answers from the dealers. I will not tow often, but may tow a boat/trailer 2-3x a year that is around 3500 lbs. Is there any difference aside from aesthetics and the cooling with having an OEM vs aftermarket tow hitch (such as install at Uhaul)? The OEM Honda is anywhere from $900-$1500 vs Uhaul, which is around $300. What have others done?

Same question about roof rails. Should I get them installed at Honda or do it myself? What about the racks? I can probably easily do the racks myself, but the rails may not be as easy.

Thanks!

·
Registered
289 Posts
Hi,

I would like a tow hitch on the Odyssey I am considering purchasing. I have gotten mixed answers from the dealers. I will not tow often, but may tow a boat/trailer 2-3x a year that is around 3500 lbs. Is there any difference aside from aesthetics and the cooling with having an OEM vs aftermarket tow hitch (such as install at Uhaul)? The OEM Honda is anywhere from $900-$1500 vs Uhaul, which is around $300. What have others done?

Same question about roof rails. Should I get them installed at Honda or do it myself? What about the racks? I can probably easily do the racks myself, but the rails may not be as easy.

Thanks!
My local stealership wants $900 for OEM hitch installed and $600 for roof rails installed

I'm thinking about buying it of eBay and install it myself, doesn't seem that hard, remove bumper and bolt on to existing location. Aesthetically 100 times better looking than aftermarket imo, keep in mind those require removing rear bumper cover as well
But if you don't care about aesthetic go with whatever hitch you like and cheaper, they all should be able to tow 3500lb,
For DIY look at etrailer.com they have tons of options.

Regarding roof rails, it is also seems to be simple install, youtube has tons of DIY tutorials.

After all, if you have extra money to spend on installation go for it. If you more like a DIY guy I would suggest installing it yourself.

I myself thinking about tow hitch only, since my garage entrance is not that high roof rails won't be useful, and planning on installing it myself, it will save me at least $500

·
Registered
28 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Hi,
I installed the roof rails and cross bars on our 2019 Ody EX and it was easy but time consuming since mistakes cannot be made. (Measure 4 times and cut once ;).) I wouldn't use snips to cut the molding as shown in one youtube video since that will crush the molding. I used an angle grinder with cutoff blade and that worked really well.

After removing the existing molding on the roof, I applied paste wax very liberally in the channels in the roof so that water that ends up in the channels after the roof racks are installed will have less chance of causing rust.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wish I was DIY myself, but don’t know too much about tools, etc. And I don’t think I could trust my husband to do this kind of work. He makes mistakes easily and I would be too scared. I wonder if there is someone or a shop I could hire to do these things.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I wish I was DIY myself, but don’t know too much about tools, etc. And I don’t think I could trust my husband to do this kind of work. He makes mistakes easily and I would be too scared. I wonder if there is someone or a shop I could hire to do these things.
Suggestion, by the roof rack from Honda and take the ODY to a Body shop you have used in the past and ask for a price letting them see the installation instructions, or a window installation shop for cars. Do not tell them the price Honda would do it for.

·
Registered
2019 Honda Odyssey Elite
3 Posts
I bought a hitch for around $160 on Amazon. Works great and easy to install. It is visible but looks fine. I also had the dealer install the roof racks as part of the purchase, but they want around $900-1200 for them installed. I see you can purchase factory ones for around $300 and do it yourself.

·
Registered
289 Posts
this guys are having a sale on rear OEM hitch, $385 the lowest I've seen so far

But I'm buying this instead, even though I like how clean OEM looks after install, I just can't spend nearly $450 (with taxes) on that piece
$180 with shipping and tax. Same specs as OEM and near clean install.

Unfortunately roof rails seem to be a waste with how garages are getting lower nowadays

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Can it still tow the 3500? Do i need the trans cooler and electrical honda was going to install? Inplan to tow a boat/trailer around 3500 lbs and need to make sure something like this will work the same as the dealer installed onr.

·
Registered
2019 Honda Odyssey Elite
3 Posts
Here's what I bought on Amazon.
CURT 13370 Class 3 Trailer Hitch, 2-Inch Receiver for Select Honda Odyssey
$150 free Shipping

·
Registered
18 Posts
Can it still tow the 3500? Do i need the trans cooler and electrical honda was going to install? Inplan to tow a boat/trailer around 3500 lbs and need to make sure something like this will work the same as the dealer installed onr.
Consensus seems to be no cooler needed for towing. Honda doesn't even have an OEM cooler to offer on the Odyssey.

3,500 pounds is the limit for the 10 speed. But you have to factor in cargo inside the van too. 3,500 pounds assumes only 2 people in the vehicle, and no cargo in the vehicle. The manual has a chart to show tow limit depending on passenger count.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Can u still the full 3500 lbs and can you pull a trailer and hitch?
Consensus seems to be no cooler needed for towing. Honda doesn't even have an OEM cooler to offer on the Odyssey.

3,500 pounds is the limit for the 10 speed. But you have to factor in cargo inside the van too. 3,500 pounds assumes only 2 people in the vehicle, and no cargo in the vehicle. The manual has a chart to show tow limit depending on passenger count.
Quarlow, I don't know where you getting that the "Consensus seems to be no cooler needed for towing" cause everything I read around here says that a transmission cooler is necessary. Now I will admit that maybe they came out with something different for the 2017/18, but I would sure want to document it big time before making that recommendation! Most are staying far away from Honda Tranny cooler, opting for the aftermarket Tru-Cool 4454!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Quarlow, I don't know where you getting that the "Consensus seems to be no cooler needed for towing" cause everything I read around here says that a transmission cooler is necessary. Now I will admit that maybe they came out with something different for the 2017/18, but I would sure want to document it big time before making that recommendation! Most are staying far away from Honda Tranny cooler, opting for the aftermarket Tru-Cool 4454!
The answer to your response is at the top of this page. This is the 5th Gen section not the 4th. The 10 speed for the 5th Gen was built to handle towing with any transmission cooler.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I'm pretty sure our vans come with external transmission cooler, not like older generations where you had to install it for towing.
yes, etrailer has good customer service and specs listed on their website
2018 Honda Odyssey - Draw-Tite Max-Frame Trailer Hitch Receiver - Custom Fit - Class III - 2"
  • Draw-Tite
  • Class III
  • 2 Inch Hitch
  • 3500 lbs GTW
  • Concealed Cross Tube
  • 525 lbs TW
  • Custom Fit Hitch

·
Registered
385 Posts
I'm pretty sure our vans come with external transmission cooler, not like older generations where you had to install it for towing.
The ODY Heat Exchanger Is actually on the 10 Speed transmission. It runs transmission fluid through a coil and antifreeze on outer jackets of the transmission cooler and enclosed in a aluminum casting. It is located on the left side of the transmission (towards the radiator side.) You can actually see the antifreeze hoses (2) running to it. This is a device that really needs nor service or Preventative Maintenance done to it, other than replacing the hoses for antifreeze many years down the line. This heat exchanger warms the transmission fluid so it will be the same as the engine antifreeze temperature, as a end result the Engine thermostat for antifreeze controls the temperature. As you drive your ODY, the tranny fluid and antifreeze will be the same temperature. Adding on a external tranny cooler will effect the transmission fluid temperature. Herein the manufacture (Honda) designed the tranny and made it so it DOES NOT NEED ADDITIONAL COOLING, or it will effect the transmission operation and also effect the efficiency of the transmission. This design the use in the heat exchanger I think they copied from the Heat/Air-Conditioner system of the past 8 years of so, In the chiller bundle outside with the condensing unit, using a water based system to transfer the water on the outside of the refrigerant tubing in a copper cooling exchanger. Very efficient, and quiet. ODY's have aluminum units, and HVAC uses copper. As you know copper cost more so Honda uses aluminum.

·
Registered
771 Posts
The answer to your response is at the top of this page. This is the 5th Gen section not the 4th. The 10 speed for the 5th Gen was built to handle towing with any transmission cooler.
If you want to believe Honda's rhetoric, good for you. But if you search on Honda's transmission problems, Honda's VCM problems, Honda's brake problems and Honda's failure to deal with warranty issues, you may be shocked! Most of us who have been followers of this forum love our Honda's and have learned proper steps to protect our Odys. I dare say today's Odysseys are not the Odyssey of yesterday!!! In my book the best model year Odyssey sold was the 2015 and 2016 model years. I note that your Ody no longer uses DW-1 AFT. Lets hope that Honda's new Type 2 or Type 3.1 ATFs works out better that Honda's Z-1 or DW-1 has for all the previous Odysseys. Looking at the price of the new AFTs, you will quickly be switching to one of the aftermarket synthetic ATFs. Good luck with your current generation Ody.

·
Registered
18 Posts
If you want to believe Honda's rhetoric, good for you. But if you search on Honda's transmission problems, Honda's VCM problems, Honda's brake problems and Honda's failure to deal with warranty issues, you may be shocked! Most of us who have been followers of this forum love our Honda's and have learned proper steps to protect our Odys. I dare say today's Odysseys are not the Odyssey of yesterday!!! In my book the best model year Odyssey sold was the 2015 and 2016 model years. I note that your Ody no longer uses DW-1 AFT. Lets hope that Honda's new Type 2 or Type 3.1 ATFs works out better that Honda's Z-1 or DW-1 has for all the previous Odysseys. Looking at the price of the new AFTs, you will quickly be switching to one of the aftermarket synthetic ATFs. Good luck with your current generation Ody.
I'm confused. Are you lost? Do you know you are in the 5th gen (2018+) section?

Are you trying to convince people the 4th gen is best, by using common issues with the 4th gen that were solved in the 5th gen, as evidence? If you want to convince people that the 4th gen was better, at least use problems the 5th gen has, like infotainment. The 9 speed complaints aren't that they overheat and fail, it's that they shift funny sometimes. The 10 speed (now standard for all trims 2020+) has virtually no complaints.

·
Registered
771 Posts
I'm confused. Are you lost? Do you know you are in the 5th gen (2018+) section?

Are you trying to convince people the 4th gen is best, by using common issues with the 4th gen that were solved in the 5th gen, as evidence? If you want to convince people that the 4th gen was better, at least use problems the 5th gen has, like infotainment. The 9 speed complaints aren't that they overheat and fail, it's that they shift funny sometimes. The 10 speed (now standard for all trims 2020+) has virtually no complaints.
I certainly hope that the new Honda 10 speed tranny does well. I'm glad that Honda got away from the German transmission. But I wonder where they found the engineers to design and build their new tranny after relying on the German trannys for so long. This new Honda tranny has been on the road only 3 years (1 year in the Odyssey). It is one of the lightest and smallest transmissions available. They have done things that the industry pioneers have not done. The Odyssey runs about 4600 lbs +/-. That is a very big package for such a tiny transmission. Time will tell. I do wish that they had done it sooner.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts