Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my '04 Ody with 87K has an internal transmission failure. Luckily for us, we just returned from a long driving trip Chicago to Wyoming and back. You don't see a lot of Honda cars on the road in South Dakota or Wyoming! I am getting quotes from the dealer of $5800 for a Honda rebuild (warranty 3 year 36K) or $2800 if sent out locally to a third party (2 year 24K warranty). I will be looking for a new Ody soon and would already have done so if not for my fear of taking the first year of a new model like the 2011. Thus, this would only need to last a year or so until the 2012 are widely available. I assume trying to trade-in the van (trade in value about $8K in good condition) needing a new tranny would be rather challenging, also assuming I break my no first year model rule. Thus, I am leaning towards the local rebuild. I am surprised at how fast this went given that I paid for the tow package which adds a TX cooler, did little towing and most of the mileage is highway. Can anyone comment? Do you agree with my conclusion of the local rebuild vs. Honda? Thanks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
You could check with Gator. They are in detroit, not sure how close you are. I think they are 1895 installed if you take it to them.

·
Super Moderator
13,638 Posts
Your search term is either "Gator" or "Jasper" and then read on. We get one of these almost every other day so it seems.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Check with Gator Transmissions in Wheeling, IL. They have provided great service and a great rebuild at a really good price to many, including myself. PM me and I will give you the details.

Regards.

·
Registered
8,853 Posts
***snip*** I assume trying to trade-in the van (trade in value about $8K in good condition) needing a new tranny would be rather challenging... ***snip***
Nothing to lose by asking the dealer how much they would offer for your 04 with a broken transmission if you bought a 2011. They could replace the transmission at much lower cost than what they quoted you.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies. I have found the following:

1. Gator will replace the transmission for $2095 and it will cost me $150 to have it towed to Wheeling. So about $550 less than the dealer based third party quote. Both provide identical warranties so the tradeoff is cost vs. convenience should it need follow up service or warranty work (Wheeling is an hour from my house while the dealer is 5 minutes.)

2. As Dave suggested I asked for a tradein quote and got back $2500! The blue book comes out to about $8K between fair and good condition. The only other defect besides the transmission is that I scratched the front of one of the rear wheel wells on a parking garage pillar. If I estimate the dealer's cost at about $2500 for both of these repairs they are offering me $5K for a blue book of $8K which seems like a hefty discount.

The main consideration beyond the tranny is that the van is due for brakes (never needed so far) and the 7 year timing belt service. The dealer quoted me $560 and $875, respectively.

Comments or thoughts very welcome.

Tom

·
Super Moderator
13,638 Posts
Gator rebuilds hundereds of Honda transmissions. Local place, Lord only knows. So, if you go local, the odds of you needing to take in back in for warranty on the tranny would be fairly higher than if you go with Gator. If this were my decision, I'd most definitely go with Gator. Heck I'd pay a bit more than local if I had to.

Since you have a 2004, you have disk brakes which are simple to DIY. I DIY all my brakes so that would not cost me anywhere near quote of $560. The $875 seems to be a good/fair price for the timing belt and what not as long as they replace the water pump and the tensioner along with the timing belt.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just had a rebuild by Gator last Friday. I would recommend the twenty (20) mile drive to get the piece of mind that these professionals can provide to us Odyssey owners. My van is running better than new.
In terms of your trade in; it seems as though its a 50/50 proposition. If you were to fix the van and then trade approx. $8k. If you were to trade it broken approx. $5k. So either way it will, unfortunately cost approximately $3k. I wish you good luck. If I can answer any questions about Gator, let me know.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you again for the advice on DIY and the Gator transmission option. I went to the dealer and simply traded it in for a 2011 EX. After completing the negotiation, the sales guy mentioned I will still have a service bill for the transmission examination on the traded Ody! That will be interesting. I guess I will be moving to the 4th generation forum from here in. Best of luck to all.

Tom

·
Registered
55 Posts
Gator rebuilds hundereds of Honda transmissions. Local place, Lord only knows. So, if you go local, the odds of you needing to take in back in for warranty on the tranny would be fairly higher than if you go with Gator. If this were my decision, I'd most definitely go with Gator. Heck I'd pay a bit more than local if I had to.

Since you have a 2004, you have disk brakes which are simple to DIY. I DIY all my brakes so that would not cost me anywhere near quote of $560. The $875 seems to be a good/fair price for the timing belt and what not as long as they replace the water pump and the tensioner along with the timing belt.

dvpatel. I live in Va. about one hour thirty mins north of Charlotte. My ody has 148000 miles and has a slight whine. Runs great and shifts great for an 04 with those miles. Will replace/rebuild the trans when the time comes. I would like to go with a gator. Anyone in the area that does good work that you can reccomend. Thanks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Not Bitter

;)Replaced my 03 tranny at 77K miles (just beyond extended warranty I foolishly bought) with Gator. Honda dealership wanted $5500 for tranny and more for engine mounts. Honda corporate offered $2000 good will - even after I told them my last 6 vehicles purchased are Honda or Acura and I currently own four of them. Since Gator is 40 minutes from my house - I drove it over and dropped it off for a couple of days. I got the 3 year warranty, new mounts and cooler for $3500 last August 2011. After a few hundred miles things smoothed out and it runs better than ever. We keep our cars in great shape so I expect to get many more years of service.

P.S. - Just bought my wife's car: Inifiniti G37X. Won't consider Honda anymore after poor customer service. These Odyssey transmissions are obviously flawed (you can spend days reading about them as I did) and they are hiding from the problem. If Honda would have stepped up - would have purchased another TL or maybe a TSX or another Accord. But I'm not bitter.... :)

2003 Odyssey, 2004 Accord, 2007 Civic, 2008 TL, 2012 G37X (3 kids that drive)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts