Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New here, soon-to-be Odyssey owner. I am selling my Lexus RX350 for a the conveniences of a mini-van as I enter the toddler years with my only child.

We put down a deposit to order a White Diamond Pearl Touring. It's been over 5 weeks now and in that time I've decided I might prefer Silver Metallic. The dealership called today and they have a Silver Touring ELITE coming in next week that we could have. So, my husband and I are trying to decide between the Touring and Touring Elite. I know so much of this is on preference and personal situation. But, I was looking for some advice on what you Odyssey Experts might comment on. Is there that big of a difference between the two? (The only long term benefit I see is the Dual Screen TV in the event I have a second child.) Is there anyone out there that has owned both models? And, finally, on the topic of color: Does anyone have any strong recommendations of Silver vs. White Diamond Pearl? Also, in reading the topic of wind noise, I noticed that as well when I did the test drive. I thought it was just because I was used to a Lexus. Is the wind noise enough to back out of this purchase?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I personally would pick the white diamond pearl with beige interior.

Regarding trim this has come up a few times. Also, a member here traded their touring for a touring elite.
I'd get the elite. The HID headlamps and blind spot sensors are great.
Also, regarding the RES, we only used 1 input source in ours, but I really like the wider screen because most movies are wide format so you can zoom it in a good bit and remove the horizontal black marks. You still have some black stripes to the left and right but you still use a good portion of the screen. Also the touring elite has a rear theater mode if you move the sound all the way back. That cuts the front speakers off, the voice/center channel becomes the 2speakers next to the monitor. Without that the center channel is up front so I'm getting screamed at (by the movie) while I'm driving and my rear passengers keep telling me to turn it up because they dont hear the voices. You can always use headphones but I like to hear/follow along too.

Anyways, personally I would either save the money and go EX-L or go all out for an Elite, but that's just me :)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Great reply PhilZJ!

I personally wanted a black or silver at the time we purchased, but needed to buy immediately, and all the dealer had was a white TE that had just got to the dealership on a truck. The next black or silver TE due to that dealership at the time would have been another 7 weeks, and we could not wait, so we purchased. Still would not look back, as a TE would still be my choice though.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I second PhilZJ's response on the features. Personally I chose the TE because I wanted the extra gadgets the Touring did not have. As for color, I think the Silver would be a very good choice since it hides dirt and minor scratches/scuffs very well. On the Ody, it looks sharp too. We have not noticed excessive wind noise on our TE, so I don't think it is bad enough of an issue to be a deal breaker.

·
Registered
98 Posts
You're 100% correct that it all comes down to personal choice but...

We chose a silver TE model for many reasons including the fact that silver is very easy to keep looking good and clean (I'm a neat freek and keeping a vehicle this size clean aint easy), the beige interior does look great but kids will have a field day with it (see above), I think the HID's and blind spot sensors are legitimate and worthwhile upgrades, and I don't intend on buying another van for a while so we thought it's better to get all the gadgets now.

The improved stereo and widescreen RES are just bonuses for us.

·
Registered
687 Posts
If you value audio quality and will be watching a lot of movies on the RES, then the Elite comes with a vastly superior sound system. The 5 extra speakers provide a much better surround sound experience and people in the third row will be able to hear the audio.

Touring
246-Watt AM/FM/CD Audio System with 7 Speakers including Subwoofer

Touring Elite
650-Watt AM/FM/CD Premium Audio System with 12 Speakers including Subwoofer and 5.1 Surround Sound Theater Mode

;)

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Actually, I think if Silver ext / Beige int was an option we would have gotten that. I personally really didn't like gray and the truffle was a dealbreaker for my wife.
To be honest, the white isn't 'that' hard to keep clean, it's a bit easier than I thought. The rear bumper does look dirty, but the rest isn't so bad.
About the interior, well I'm a neat freak too. So no food or drinks in the car (only on long road trips with constant adult supervision). Also, my kids know better than to put their shoes on the seats. They are allowed to climb around, but shoes must come off first.

Alright, I hope I didn't derail this thread from a Touring or TE into a parenting thread :)

Also, like Da Hapa said, we too are planning on keeping this van for a while. That being the case, might as well enjoy the gadget and toys for 7+years

·
Registered
174 Posts
The 246 watt unit is no extraordinary machine. Pretty bland when compared to the infinity sound system in my old Caravan. I have been meaning to get into the back and turn up the volume a bit as I am not sure I hear any effect whatsoever from the sub when I am up in front.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I think the color is just your choice. Look at both again and decide.
But, if you are already set on a Touring I think the step up to an Elite with the extras mentioned is worth it. If you are planning to keep it for a while you might be disappointed for a long while.. This was my logic anyway as they are both a lot of money.... Good luck... Let us know...

·
Registered
174 Posts
But, if you are already set on a Touring I think the step up to an Elite with the extras mentioned is worth it. If you are planning to keep it for a while you might be disappointed for a long while.. This was my logic anyway as they are both a lot of money.... Good luck... Let us know...

Good point but here is a counterpoint - I often go into a store (typcially an electronics store) and see what I wnet in for.... only to see another model with this bell or whistle that are neat and suddenly, I have to have it. Had no real need for the feature in the first place, and after a short time typcially never use it again, but seeing it is available I just want it. Just happened recently with a new GPS- the old one needs a map update and they are expensive. So much so that I found one for only a few dollars more than the map update, and it has some new features... and it is on sale. I start lookingat the new GPS units and wow - there are some great new features since I bought mine including being able to speak the address you are looking for instead of typing it. With a few other bells and whistles, it was almost twice what I could get the other unit for. I almost went for it, until I pulled back and asked myself whether I really needed that feature or not. Eventually chose to stay with the one on sale that met my needs. Same thing with traffic... was a great feature until I realized that my area has little "real" traffic to contend with, and is not even covered by the traffic services. Would be nice on a trip, but I am not paying for the feature to use it a couple of times during its useful life.

Sawadee, like you said, just because you are already paying a boat load for the van, it doesn't mean that you shouldn't still make a rational decision about whether the features are something that you will use or will soon be forgotten. That is, unfortunately, not something that anyone can say for you but you.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks to you all. Very helpful stuff. My husband tends to just spend $$ on whatever is the best and I was trying to honestly make a calculated decision this time. We purchased our Lexus in '09 with the news of a first child. We've already outgrown it. Trying not to make a bad decision and want a different car in a couple of years. Since we plan to keep the van for 5-7 years it does make sense to get the bonus features.

As for color, I have a white/beige combo now in my lexus. And while it is my favorite, it hasn't been easy with a rowdy 2 yr old boy. So, we are opting for the truffle.

(PhilZJ, you must have better behaved kids than I :)

Sorry for starting another thread on something that was previously discussed. Also really appreciate the comment on wind noise.

Will keep you posted. Leaning towards the silver/truffle TE.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I personally would pick the white diamond pearl with beige interior.

Regarding trim this has come up a few times. Also, a member here traded their touring for a touring elite.
I'd get the elite. The HID headlamps and blind spot sensors are great.
Also, regarding the RES, we only used 1 input source in ours, but I really like the wider screen because most movies are wide format so you can zoom it in a good bit and remove the horizontal black marks. You still have some black stripes to the left and right but you still use a good portion of the screen. Also the touring elite has a rear theater mode if you move the sound all the way back. That cuts the front speakers off, the voice/center channel becomes the 2speakers next to the monitor. Without that the center channel is up front so I'm getting screamed at (by the movie) while I'm driving and my rear passengers keep telling me to turn it up because they dont hear the voices. You can always use headphones but I like to hear/follow along too.

Anyways, personally I would either save the money and go EX-L or go all out for an Elite, but that's just me :)
Just curious, what was the trade-in value of your Touring? Our family bought a 2011 Touring a few months back and part of me wishes we had gone with the Elite.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Just curious, what was the trade-in value of your Touring? Our family bought a 2011 Touring a few months back and part of me wishes we had gone with the Elite.
I believe 'tl01' was the one who had touring then upgraded to elite. Honda hold its value-- dont be afraid-- appraise it :)

·
Registered
687 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
If you value audio quality and will be watching a lot of movies on the RES, then the Elite comes with a vastly superior sound system. The 5 extra speakers provide a much better surround sound experience and people in the third row will be able to hear the audio.

Touring
246-Watt AM/FM/CD Audio System with 7 Speakers including Subwoofer

Touring Elite
650-Watt AM/FM/CD Premium Audio System with 12 Speakers including Subwoofer and 5.1 Surround Sound Theater Mode

;)
Personally, I didint find that big of a difference with the Audio quality between either model overall. Regarding the RES, that could be difference however.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I echo PHilz's summary.....go for the Elite. The Projection lights and the BSI itself is worth the extra....I think.

Also, regarding color, I first went in the direction of beige..but ended up getting the WDP with Truffle.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Personally, I didint find that big of a difference with the Audio quality between either model overall. Regarding the RES, that could be difference however.
The EX-L (with Navigation) has the same audio system as the Touring and the EX-L (without Navigation) basically has the same audio system with about 15 fewer watts. Generally, 7 speaker sound system has been panned with a lot of owners complaining that it's too quiet in the back without much punch overall.

http://www.odyclub.com/forums/11-audio-video-security-navigation/151517-ex-l-audio-upgrade-recommendations.html

http://www.odyclub.com/forums/11-audio-video-security-navigation/148433-2011-ody-rear-speaker-loudness-dissapointing.html

http://www.odyclub.com/forums/11-audio-video-security-navigation/151792-low-volume-2nd-row-speakers-2011-ex-l.html

:rollingeyes:

·
Registered
14 Posts
New here, soon-to-be Odyssey owner. I am selling my Lexus RX350 for a the conveniences of a mini-van as I enter the toddler years with my only child.

We put down a deposit to order a White Diamond Pearl Touring. It's been over 5 weeks now and in that time I've decided I might prefer Silver Metallic. The dealership called today and they have a Silver Touring ELITE coming in next week that we could have. So, my husband and I are trying to decide between the Touring and Touring Elite. I know so much of this is on preference and personal situation. But, I was looking for some advice on what you Odyssey Experts might comment on. Is there that big of a difference between the two? (The only long term benefit I see is the Dual Screen TV in the event I have a second child.) Is there anyone out there that has owned both models? And, finally, on the topic of color: Does anyone have any strong recommendations of Silver vs. White Diamond Pearl? Also, in reading the topic of wind noise, I noticed that as well when I did the test drive. I thought it was just because I was used to a Lexus. Is the wind noise enough to back out of this purchase?

Thanks!
I recently had the same dilemma, Touring or Touring Elite. Was all set to get the Elite, until I calculated how much more the payment would be a month for the Elite, and I didn't believe the extra features were worth that amount, since I could use the money elsewhere. Here's what I decided...

HIDs - Nice feature, have it on my current car, but not on the wife's car that the Odyssey was replacing, but did have it on the car previous to that. Don't really drive too much at night, so not too useful to my family.

Ultrawide RES screen - Typically don't travel too far, never had a car with RES before. Kids can watch whatever is on the single screen or look out the window. Vertical resolution is better on the ultrawide screen though.

Blind spot system - I always add extra small mirrors to my cars. Not worth it.

More speakers especially in rear - Would like this, there are threads on here about adding the two third row speakers, doesn't seem difficult or too expensive. Although I have three kids, all in the second row 95% of time, so speakers in third row not that useful most of the time. Also I read that 2 of the extra speakers are only activated when watching 5.1 content, which won't happen much for me.

Louder stereo - This was the one I was most concerned about. I tried both the Touring and Touring Elite stereo before making my mind up. I found the Touring to be loud enough (just) in the front and second rows.

HDMI - I have no use for it. Composite input on screen that small would be fine.

Dolby Digital 5.1 sound - No use for it. Most sources being played would not have 5.1, (kids are 4, 3 and newborn so lots of Wiggles, Thomas the Tank Engine).

It just wasn't worth the extra $50 a month over 3yrs to me, I could use that money better elsewhere.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts