Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a EX on order, I plan to install after market dvd, I will go with panasonic as they are good deals on ebay. the following I am considering..

1)PANASONIC CQ-DVR7000U for $499

2)CX-DV700U for $330

3)Panasonic CQ-DVR909U $499.

if anyone has any experience please let me know.

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
Panasonic units are great.
Your choice depends on what you want. I posted a comparison in one of the audio threads on these units, but can't seem to find it (search doesn't work too well)

Basically, the 909 is discontinued, but was Pana's flagship. It is the most feature rich by far, with DD/DTS and DVD-Audio. Also built in center channel speaker. The UI has been commented as being a little tough to get used to at first. Private mode (sending separate sources front/rear) is not implemented very well in this receiver.
The 7000 is newer, no center, only DD, not DVD-Audio. Better private mode implementation, (arguably) cleaner interface, joystick remote.. Both are great units. Try to demo if possible. These options are great if you are willing to replace your factory head unit, which loses your steering audio controls unless you use a steering wheel interface.... Both of these options give you a full featured, high power, upgradable centerpiece to your system.

The 700 is the choice if you want a lower profile unit meant to be ADDED to your factory system. It can be installed beneath your factory radio or in the cupholder area, given that you have a good installer capable of custom work. This unit has a remote data terminal that interfaces with the Panasonic CY-VMX-6800U fold down screen, allowing DVD control from the screen's IR port. Note if you keep factory radio, you need to use an FM modulator for sound input.

Decide if you want to upgrade the factory head unit first. If you don't, your choice is clear. If you do, select the one that matches your features/preferences best.

Good Luck!

------------------
-Shin John
'01 DEP EX, and I'm workin' on it! (slowly)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey ShinJohn....great posts....

I purchased an EX-L last month, love the van, but only wish I went with the factory DVD option (didn't want to wait two months for delivery). Trying to look for aftermarket options for DVD (in dash) and was thinking bout the Panasonic. A local carstereo shop says they can do the CY-VMX6800 monitor w/DV700U DVD installed for around 1K...sounds like a great deal.

BUT...my concern is the in dash install mount. They think they can squeeze the DVD unit under the Honda factory CD/radio, but there is only 3/4 DIN space (about 2 inches)...sounds tight.

How has your install progressed?

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Minivandad:

A local carstereo shop says they can do the CY-VMX6800 monitor w/DV700U DVD installed for around 1K...sounds like a great deal.
</font>
Pretty good, though I've seen this system selling on ebay for $699. $300 for installation is OK, provided this shop is really good and they are gonna do a great custom install to get the DVD clean in the dash, etc.... Have the shop break the price out for you just to be sure. There may still be some good room for negotiation.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
BUT...my concern is the in dash install mount. They think they can squeeze the DVD unit under the Honda factory CD/radio, but there is only 3/4 DIN space (about 2 inches)...sounds tight.
</font>
Take a look at these photos by another Odyclub member. These should convince you. The Pana is pretty low profile since it has no OEM trim ring...

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/mb0526/lst?&.dir=/mb0526&.src=ph&.view=t&.last=1

And an update on in-dash double DIN installs: I've seen an install kit advertised on an auto sound website that is a double-DIN mounting kit for Odys and other Hondas. I think it is probably made by Metra, not sure though. The thing is that if you take out the factory head, you can fit two single DIN units in the dash cleanly with this kit. Just FYI...

How has your install progressed?
</font>
Let's see.... with baby watching duties, etc.. not much. Worked on power wiring for the system a little, but not too much progress. I'm itching to do it, but I'm so sleep deprived these days, it's tough. Once I finish wiring (installing 4 gauge power cable, fused distribution block, etc...) I'll move on to the head unit and amps. Then the subs, then screen. Lots of work. Will try to keep people posted.

------------------
-Shin John

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by shareef:
thanks for responding my question on qdy. club my user name is shareef, if you can clarify.

to use my sterring wheel audio control how do I get the steering wheel interface you mentioned, where can I get it and how much does it cost.
</font>
http://peripheralelectronics.com/periph_products/steering_interface.htm

or

http://www.go2pac.net/products/swix.html

Crutchfield sells the PAC version for $70. I got mine online for $40 (ebay).

to make it simple if I buy the panasonic 700 U, can I put in under the passenger seat and still ue the remote, how is blaupunkt ME-1. what is your recommendation.
</font>
Yes, the Panasonic does have a remote eye in addition to the data port, so you can mount the DVD player anywhere and still use the IR remote.

The Blau unit is decent unit, one of many manufacturers making a DVD in this form factor. I've seen this unit down in the $150 price range some places (ubid?). The only thing to consider about it is that it is obviously bigger than the dash mountable Panasonic, and it has no digital output for sound. The 700 has an optical output for those interested in adding an external processor later...

Let the size/feature set vs. price drive what DVD player you should get. If you are looking to mount under a seat, don't need digital output for sound, and want to save money, there's your answer. Get the Blau or like....

also have you heard about MA audio flip down lcd screen, I can get a 8inch from ubid for $349.

tks
</font>
MA Audio is becoming more of a presence in car A/V. I personally have not been impressed with their quality. The MA screens I've seen have had fairly poor contrast and clarity, but this is a subjective matter. From what I've seen, I think Alpine and Panasonic screens are excellent. Also heard lots of great things on Audiovox screens. Audiovox uses Sharp LCDs, I think Pana manufactures its own, not sure about Alpine. If you are price conscious, others have posted success with other brands such as Farenheit, etc.. Browse around on this forum to see other options.

One last thought is that if you are thinking primarily DVD, consider a 7" 16:9 screen for less wasted screen space.

------------------
-Shin John

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks Shinjohn!!

...Even at 300 for labor, 1K still is a good deal...although not as good as I thought! (oh well, if it sounds too good to be true!!)

I wonder why Panasonic is selling these things so cheaply...perhaps discontinued?

Do you know of any issues with this combination - namely that the screen ratio is 4:3 vs. 16:9.

-- or is the "catch" the relatively high profile (e.g. obstructed view) of the monitor and it's lower resolution (under 640X480)

Would you recommend using another brand for the monitor - e.g. the Audiovox 7"....(wouldn't you have to use two separate remotes?)

Another dealer can do the Pioneer DVD head unit (SDP-7) with the Audioviox 6.8" for around 1600....so I thought this was a better combo.

[This message has been edited by Minivandad (edited 02-11-2002).]

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Minivandad:
Thanks Shinjohn!!

I wonder why Panasonic is selling these things so cheaply...perhaps discontinued?
</font>
No problem! I think you may be right that it is being discontinued. My guess is that Panasonic is either moving away from drop down screens and clearing house, or moving to larger 16:9 screens. Just a hunch, I have no real data, and haven't heard anything..

Do you know of any issues with this combination - namely that the screen ratio is 4:3 vs. 16:9.
</font>
Like any 4:3 screen, the letterbox syndrome, depending on the format of the actual DVD you are playing. Likewise, VCR on a 16:9 screen will give vertical bands. Of course you can always set the mode of the DVD player to match the screen though.

In terms of issues related to the 6800 screen, two other things to consider:

1) the unit is heavier than other manufacturers, weighs in ~2 lbs. Not a big deal in my mind if you attach the sucker to the cross member in the roof.
2) Aux in (2nd A/V input) is on the side of the unit, so cable routing may be an issue for your 2nd source. Can be dealt with by permanently installing cable through headliner, or using wire ties/etc... for a less permanent, but more visible install.

-- or is the "catch" the relatively high profile (e.g. obstructed view) of the monitor and it's lower resolution (under 640X480)

Would you recommend using another brand for the monitor - e.g. the Audiovox 7"....(wouldn't you have to use two separate remotes?)
</font>
All the 6.8" screens have the same resolution. What's confusing about the Pana spec is that it breaks out resolution as: 234x384x3. Other manufacs just multiply x3, which really isn't correct.

Audiovox 7" has had good reviews, but I dislike the RF headphone emitter. I like IR instead. And yes, you'd need 2 different remotes, as you stated.

Another dealer can do the Pioneer DVD head unit (SDP-7) with the Audioviox 6.8" for around 1600....so I thought this was a better combo.
</font>
Ouch. I agree.

------------------
-Shin John

1 - 7 of 7 Posts