Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I may buy an 03 Odyssey with 92k that had timing belt changed @ 60k.

When is the next time I need to change it? Also, does anyone know the stats of transmission problems with 02-04's? I heard they fixed most of the issues by 03?

Thanks!

·
Registered
186 Posts
I believe the timing belt in '03 Odyssey is the same as in my old '02 Odyssey - 7 yeard or 105k miles. It's one thing if the timing belt on this Ody was changed based on age or something happened. Otherwise, it appears the last owner changed it about 45k miles early. We owned our last Ody from July '02 until April '11 and it was still running on the same timing belt and water pump. I'm guessing you can get another 70k miles out of the timing belt.

While I know a number of people has terrible issues with Ody transmissions, I never had one in the 9 years/75k miles we owned the car. That being said, I had the ATF changed every 30k miles.

Good luck.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I may buy an 03 Odyssey with 92k that had timing belt changed @ 60k.

When is the next time I need to change it? Also, does anyone know the stats of transmission problems with 02-04's? I heard they fixed most of the issues by 03?

Thanks!
After you read this forum for more than 5 min I would run away from that gen of van b/c of tranny problems. :eek:mg: Granted they are good handling vans with a lot of advantages, but you must realize the problem before you buy one.

·
Registered
7,776 Posts
Some of our forum members have torn down the 2002-2004 tranny, and found that first, second, fourth and fifth gears' clutch packs looked great, and could probably go right back in (of course, once you've gone that far, you might as well replace them with fresh parts).

Third gear is a bear. It doesn't have to contend with severe loading from the tranny output side (like first and second gear do), or severe loading from the tranny input side (like fourth and fifth gear do) because it is the "middle gear" in our 5-speeds (which is why it is a somewhat smaller clutch pack than its siblings), but it still needs adequate flow of ATF for heat exchange and lubrication. This is where Honda fell short.

See my second post on this page. It details the problem and has additional links:

Odyclubbers Hash Out the 2nd Gen Tranny Problem

Sometime in very early 2004 Honda released engineering drawings to correct the three causal problems for early third gear clutch pack malfunction. This is why 2004's, for the most part, have not endured this problem to the same extent that 2002's & 2003's have.

OF

1 - 5 of 5 Posts