Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone was planning on installing an after market alarm system on their Ody's> I have been speaking with 1ODY2NV and he has been very helpful. He recommended I get an after market alarm because the Factory alarm on an EX does not offer shock or glass sensors, it will only sound an alarm if the doors/ hood tailgate are open (If I understand him correctly).

I want an alarm where I can still use the Honda remote. I don't want to have to carry two remotes around.

Which systems do you recommend?

Thanks,
Steven

·
Registered
564 Posts
Ah, well...there's the rub. If you find an alarm that will use the stock Honda remote, please let us know. I've been out of the alarm market for a while, but back when I was heavy into researching them, there was no such animal. More likely, you'll toss the Honda remote in favor of the alarm's remote. You can train good alarms (Clifford is what I'm most familiar with) to do all the fun stuff (and more!) that your Honda remote can do. With the Clifford, for example, you could program it to remotely turn the lights on, lower the windows, etc. Plus, of course, it will still open the doors, unlock, etc. My last Clifford had 12 channels. That means 12 distinct commands that it could learn.

- Darell

------------------
"Some people say you can't take it with you. I'm taking it with me."
Future: 2002 EXL-NAV, TW (with RES wanted!)
Current: 2001 Civic EX, silver
Leaving: 2001 Volvo V70 T5, white/graphite

·
Registered
3 Posts
If all you want is the additional features, why not buy the modules and tie them into the Ody factory alarm? It has been a while since I played and researched auto alarms, but the basics are still the same (aren't they?). Glass breakage and door switches are simply mechanical or electro/mechanical devices that will complete the electrical circuit when triggered, thus activating the alarm. The trick would be finding the factory alarm wiring harness to tie into, and making sure that you are grounding the correct wire - positive or negative switching.
Hope this helps, DK

·
Registered
564 Posts
That's a good point. A pro alarm installer would be able to do that with his eyes closed, probably.

- Darell

------------------

·
Registered
122 Posts
Thats right Wall Street 123456

As Darrell, mention, he agreed with the Clifford without you telling him.

You can get pro alarm installer to do the individual modules if you want, but you only save about $100.00 total cost over the cost of getting the Clifford alarm.

Any Honda dealer in the Tri-State area is going to try to sell you an alarm. The problem with that is you need to carry 2 remotes and since you are buying your car in PA, no dealer will honor the warranty unless it is a Honda alarm which are junk.

Since we live close by, I offered to show you my alarm. I am not telling you to get an alarm or not. It is your choice preference and insurance rates. Otherwise, get a LoJack sytem installed and use the factory honda alarm

·
Registered
564 Posts
Hey, that's slick! However, as mentioned above, you'd be limiting yourself by using the Honda remote. Since you have to carry a remote anyway, I figure you might as well carry the most useful one.

Makes sense that they've made an alarm that will learn other remotes though. Homelink has been doing it for years!

- Darell

------------------

·
Registered
24 Posts
I would not install the honda alarm. There are wiring diagrams available on bulldog security's site and autotoys.com guys show you how to install the alarm. The aftermarket alarms offer more features and is way cheaper than the factory one. The only thing is that the factory one has all the right plugs since it is made to fit an odyssey. But if you have the wiring diagram, you would not short anything out. If in doubt, get a pro to do it. They get it done in 1/2 hour. One useful feature is to add in remote hatch release.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I have an EX and thus the power sliding doors. I do not have an OEM alarm... just the keyless entry. I thought I had the alarm because my key fob had the panic button which works... but it's not an alarm because I can open all the doors, trunk, hood, anything and nothing goes off. I asked the dealer and he confirmed it's just a keyless entry system.

So what I found was an Add-On alarm system that piggybacks onto the keyless entry system. I got it for $50 bucks from J.C. Whitney and installed it myself. It comes with a shock sensor, hood pin switch and all the other goodies common to any alarm system.

Best of all I get to use my stock keyless entry remotes and also have an actual alarm system.

Crutchfield sells one too but that's $100 bucks.

If this system can be added to a keyless entry system, why not to an OEM alarm system.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts