Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 GG on order. I'm expecting it sometime in the Oct/Nov time frame. Phila area. I'm having an after market sunroof installed. I have only seen one Ody with a sunroof. Does anyone out there know anything about the after market sun roofs in Ody's?

------------------

·
Registered
59 Posts
i'm also in the philly area and plan on adding a sunroof. A co-worker of mine swears by an installation place in southern jersey, where she has had sunroofs installed on every one of her hondas. At least 10 yrs of experience with the company and she never had a sunroof leak.

I don't when, but i definitely want this in my ODY before next spring.

·
Registered
180 Posts
We had a sunroof installed in our EX way back in March of 1999 when the van was only a month old. The mfr of the roof is Vermeulen Hollandia, a Dutch company that I gather makes many of the aftermarket models. The model we got is is deeply-tinted glass with a sliding interior shade. Due to the rear AC, the only models that will work are those that open the panel to the outside (of course.)
We've had no hassles with the sunroof. My only reservation is that I think they cut the structural member between B pillars to fit the roof in. Could be trouble in a serious accident...

·
Registered
342 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Llarry:
We had a sunroof installed in our EX way back in March of 1999 when the van was only a month old. The mfr of the roof is Vermeulen Hollandia, a Dutch company that I gather makes many of the aftermarket models. The model we got is is deeply-tinted glass with a sliding interior shade. Due to the rear AC, the only models that will work are those that open the panel to the outside (of course.)
We've had no hassles with the sunroof. My only reservation is that I think they cut the structural member between B pillars to fit the roof in. Could be trouble in a serious accident...
</font>
Cut a major structural member?? I don't think I like the sound of that. As for only being able to install a unit that slides the glass to the outside of the vehicle, check out this web page.

http://www.langsautoaccessories.com/whatsnew/installs/honda_odyssey.htm

As you can see, the sunroof slides into the roof of the van. The pictures make it look like a pretty nice installation. This is the only type I would consider but you're concern about having to cut a structural member to make it work is something I hadn't considered before. I don't think it's something I'd be willing to do regardless of how much I would like to have the sunroof.

Definitely something else to think about.

Drive Safe,
Steve

·
Registered
180 Posts
Nice sunroof! Two things, though: If you look at the photos, you can see that the B pillars cannot be tied together, so you are giving up that structural member. Also, in order to bring the roof inside plus retain the AC/lights in the headliner, they've brought the headliner down significantly. With plenty of headroom to start, might not be a big issue.
Plus -- ASC is a well-known outfit. Did you get a price quote? (Mine was $800, BTW)

·
Registered
342 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Llarry:
Nice sunroof! Two things, though: If you look at the photos, you can see that the B pillars cannot be tied together, so you are giving up that structural member. Also, in order to bring the roof inside plus retain the AC/lights in the headliner, they've brought the headliner down significantly. With plenty of headroom to start, might not be a big issue.
Plus -- ASC is a well-known outfit. Did you get a price quote? (Mine was $800, BTW)
</font>
Hi Llarry,

I got the URL off another discussion on this forum. I don't remember exactly where it is but I did bookmark the site so I still had the link.

As a matter of fact, I did email Langs Auto Accessories and asked about the cost. They responded and quoted $1500 installed. They also gave me a fair list of businesses that are closer to me that could do the work since they're in Illinios and I'm in Texas.

You make a good point about the possible compromise of the structural integrity of the van. I'm very concerned about that. If you're right, we could easily be turning the Odyssey from a 5 star vehicle to a 1 or 2 star vehicle in terms of it's crash worthyness. That, to me, isn't worth it regardless of the price. The dealer would have to prove to me that this isn't an issue. I'd also like to see a converted Ody in person to judge the change in headroom issue before I'd go through with this.

Out of curiosity, do you have pictures of your installation.

Drive Safe,
Steve

[This message has been edited by Intrepid175 (edited 08-29-2001).]

·
Registered
55 Posts
my 2 cents worth:
1) the photo from the link looked awesome, and looked oem
2) what does the installation do to the warranty? (out the window? pun intended)
3) notice what appears to be cutouts by the ac vents - probably for the motor, sleeve, etc. - does this mean fahgeddaboudit if you want the RES or IVES?
4) structure - i would tend to doubt the roof would compromise too much of the structural integrity - perhaps a tad, but it is my belief the bulk of the structure is in the frame below - sure, a solid roof makes the ody more of a cylinder (strongest configuration for a thin material) but i doubt the opening would seriously affect the frame - maybe add a squeak or 2 when the van is loaded and you go over a bump, curb/driveway, etc. (possibly introducing a slight amount of flex)
5) i want one!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm paying $1250 for the sunroof with auto closing. [when I turn off the Ody the sunroof automatically closes.] If it looks anything like the one in Langsautoacc I'll be happy

·
Registered
180 Posts
Sorry, no photos of my sunroof. But I owe Jim pictures of my llamas in Odyssey, so I will toss one or two of the sunroof in as well and he can post 'em.
I found ASC on the web: www.ascglobal.com
And they have a feature to find a local licensee for their products. They have both the one featured by Lang's and spoiler sunroofs like mine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts