Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning I started the van, drove to work and when I parked I turned the van off and noticed the power locks would not work. No power anywhere. Turn the key and nothing. I popped the hood, not that I know anything... jiggled some wires and after fussing around for about 8 minutes the power was back. After work it started fine. Drove home and the same thing happened at home. Now I did jiggle wires again... no luck... went in the house. 10 minutes later I went back outside.. no power.. I jiggled again.. mostly around the new battery.. not sure if that did anything. But then the power was back..
Any thoughts. I guess I would need to see if I just wait and don't jiggle if it comes back ? Terminals are clean

Joel

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This morning I started the van, drove to work and when I parked I turned the van off and noticed the power locks would not work. No power anywhere. Turn the key and nothing. I popped the hood, not that I know anything... jiggled some wires and after fussing around for about 8 minutes the power was back. After work it started fine. Drove home and the same thing happened at home. Now I did jiggle wires again... no luck... went in the house. 10 minutes later I went back outside.. no power.. I jiggled again.. mostly around the new battery.. not sure if that did anything. But then the power was back..
Any thoughts. I guess I would need to see if I just wait and don't jiggle if it comes back ? Terminals are clean

Joel

·
Registered
219 Posts
Check the battery cables at the terminals (where the cables connect to the battery). They should be clean and tight.

Follow the black cable to the engine block and make sure it has a clean and tight connection.

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
+1 for terminals. Clean/sand the battery posts and inside the van's terminals where it touches the battery post. Both should be shiny.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well that's to bad... I cleaned the battery terminals and after putting it back together a whole day of no problem. This morning the van is dead. I had the battery checked and it was fine. This morning I tried taking the cable off again and putting it back on and no luck.. tried jumping it.. nope.. not even clicking noise. looks like monday it goes to the mechanic :( Hopefully sometime this weekend it will start so I can drive it over.

·
Registered
2011 Odyssey LX, 120k miles
1,830 Posts
Maybe it is an intermittent fault internal to the battery. Is it possible to swap in a different battery for a few days to see if the problem goes away? If you do that, of course make sure not to switch the + and - terminals.

·
Registered
2011 Odyssey LX, 120k miles
1,830 Posts
Yes, it should. I'm mainly suggesting a way to completely isolate the fault away from the battery, since often the battery is a problem. For some people, it is easy to swap in a different battery as a test. For example, my wife's Odyssey and my Lexus LS have the same exact battery. Sometimes it's easier to remove all doubt. But if it's not an easy test to do, then yes, logically being completely dead while jumped (as long as the jump is done correctly and the cables are good) indicates a problem separate from the battery.

Maybe it's your main fusible link or something like that (I forget the name - like a 150 Amp fuse which sometimes becomes intermittent)?

I once spent about a year tracing down an intermittent battery fault, which is why I usually think to test for that early. The car would act completely dead, on either a cold or warm start, with no power at all. Then when hooking up jumper cables to jump start it, it would fire up with full power immediately (no need to wait for it to charge) and be just fine. I cleaned, checked, replaced, etc. all kinds of connections from the battery, chassis, and starter with no success until I did this battery check.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A bit frustrating today. On Saturday it was still dead and I jumped it again and this time it worked so I parked it at the mechanic where today it started fine for him.. he checked the battery and the starter and I don't know what else but he could not replicate the problem and so I took it home. Maybe it won't happen again and then again I can be out and about and get stranded :( I do work next door to my mechanic and thought if it happens again at work he can come over and look at it while it's dead ?? Could a good battery be a problem ?

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
So when it's in the dead state you have no inside lights or headlights, correct? If so, I suggest you pick up a cheap VOM meter. When it happens you need to check for 12volts on the battery itself right on the posts, then move the ground probe to something metal, if still good then the positive probe needs to go to the main fuse box under the hood. You need to narrow this down some. My guess is a loose or corroded connection somewhere. You could try to get it towed to a mechanic when it happens but the ride over will probably jostle it enough for it to magically get better.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Correct... no power locks... nothing
I have access to a voltage meter I will start with the battery if the problem occurs again. If the battery reads good and I go to the metal and lets say that shows no power... what does that mean ? If that does read good you say the next is the main fuse... is that explainable on where and how ?
Thanks

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
Assuming the van is dead. I would turn the headlights on while doing this so you can tell if power comes back while troubleshooting or your findings will not be accurate. You may need a helper to do this and make sure the probe is dug into the metals enough for good contact.
1)- voltage on posts of battery- bad then battery is toast (never seen one intermittent though)
2)- one probe on positive battery post (not clamp) and the other to metal frame- no voltage then bad ground, check clamp and cable end to end.
3)- one probe on negative battery post (not clamp) and the other to the fuse box inside the engine bay. Testing to the large fuses, both sides of them. I think you should have 12volts on all of them inside there but not 100% sure without looking. You should be able to tell by what the cover says they do if they should be live without the key on. If no voltage than you gotta figure out where it's lost between the battery and the box. If voltage there then you may need to move to the fuse box under the dash but I think the issue would be before that seeing so much is dead.

Keep us posted.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts