1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
596 Posts
Nice console, Chuck. You would laugh your socks off at my "home grown" console. We have a rectangular wicker basket which just fits (tightly) between the seats. It is a dark brown color and is mounted on a birch base which is stained in a dark teak color. The base has two cupholders in front of the basket and they work much better than those in the dash, which sorta block access to the CD slot. The basket is about ten inches deep and around twelve inches long and works very well for all the "stuff", such as purses, food, stuff-to-do things, etc., etc. We had the same set-up in our last van, only with a shallower basket. Sorry, I have no pix. Again, it looks as if you got a bargain, which really looks as if it "grew" there. Nice job!

Jerry O.

------------------
2001 Odyssey GG LX

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jerry O:
Nice console, Chuck. You would laugh your socks off at my "home grown" console. We have a rectangular wicker basket which just fits (tightly) between the seats. It is a dark brown color and is mounted on a birch base which is stained in a dark teak color. The base has two cupholders in front of the basket and they work much better than those in the dash, which sorta block access to the CD slot. The basket is about ten inches deep and around twelve inches long and works very well for all the "stuff", such as purses, food, stuff-to-do things, etc., etc. We had the same set-up in our last van, only with a shallower basket. Sorry, I have no pix. Again, it looks as if you got a bargain, which really looks as if it "grew" there. Nice job!

Jerry O.

</font>
That sounds like a good idea!
I can see where a basket between the seats would come in handy.

Now I just have to figure out a way to mount the old center tray between the second row seats while still allowing access to the back seat.

------------------
Chuck
Click here for Ody pics, mods and fixes on FotoTime.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hey Jerry yours sounds about like mine...homegrown. I had a conversion van and made a catch all to fit onto the dash mounted cup holders. After selling the big van, I modified it to fit the Mercury. It's a regular catch all and convienence store. Everything from cup holder to ash tray along with a little bit of everything else you just might need on a trip.

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
Hey Chuck,
Very nice installation. I like the solid mounting of the riser. Just curious though, how does the console attach to the riser? screws? (or is it secured to the riser at all?)
Just curious...
-SJ

------------------
DEP '01 EX no-navi

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by shinjohn:
Hey Chuck,
Very nice installation. I like the solid mounting of the riser. Just curious though, how does the console attach to the riser? screws? (or is it secured to the riser at all?)
Just curious...
-SJ

</font>
Two long screws down through the bottom of the center compartment. It's a VERY solid mount.

------------------
Chuck

·
Registered
194 Posts
Hi Chuck - looks great, and it looks like what I am looking for!

Can you send me the exact dimensions for the riser - height, width, floor cut-outs etc?

Are the passenger seat bolts removed only to allow the aluminum bars to slide back under the seat? So the bars are clamped between the seat the floor?

What was the cost - I know the same console is available here in TO at Costco for $70CDN - good price?

Thanks!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Hi Chuck...

Ditto on PD55.

Thanks...

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by PD55:
Hi Chuck - looks great, and it looks like what I am looking for!

Can you send me the exact dimensions for the riser - height, width, floor cut-outs etc?

17x5x8.75" and the bars are about 17", but you may want the console in a different position than I did.

By "floor cutouts", I assume you mean the notches in the riser to accomodate the shape of the floor. It's just a 1" notch that runs the length of the raised portion of the floor.

Are the passenger seat bolts removed only to allow the aluminum bars to slide back under the seat? So the bars are clamped between the seat the floor?

Yes. Also to allow enough room to tilt the width of the whole assy into place.

What was the cost - I know the same console is available here in TO at Costco for $70CDN - good price?

I got it at a closeout for $65 US, which is a very good price around here, but your Costco price beats it hands down!

Thanks!</font>
------------------
Chuck

[This message has been edited by ckonarske (edited 11-07-2001).]

·
Registered
234 Posts
Nice installation. I have the same console just sitting on the floor. I noticed that you also pulled the power from the front cluster into the center console. Did you just run the cable under the floor mats? That makes it nice to have power in the center console. Or am I mistaken?

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by LHOdy:
Nice installation. I have the same console just sitting on the floor. I noticed that you also pulled the power from the front cluster into the center console. Did you just run the cable under the floor mats? That makes it nice to have power in the center console. Or am I mistaken?</font>

Mistaken. I haven't added power to it. Yet.

------------------
Chuck

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
I'd be inclined to tap power from the power seat circuit(s). On an EX there are two 20A, always hot, circuits readily available under the driver's seat. You might even be able to tap these w/o removing the seat just by sliding it all the way forward. This gives you no exposed wires and you still have the switched outlet for other purposes.

BTW Chuck, I like it
!

Mel

[This message has been edited by Mel (edited 11-07-2001).]

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jerry O:
You would laugh your socks off at my "home grown" console.</font>
I love ideas like that! Store bought solutions aren't always the best for everyone.

------------------
Jim
'01 GG EX w/stuff
'93 Nissan Sentra SE-R with more stuff

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
Another nice install, Chuck. That's one more project to add to my project list for the site. LOL I'm so far behind ...

------------------
Jim
'01 GG EX w/stuff
'93 Nissan Sentra SE-R with more stuff

·
Registered
36 Posts
I bought the Clutter Catcher at Wal-mart for $24.99 last week. It's also made by TSI, but this one doesn't have the padded armrest piece as in Chuck's (other than that, it's almost identical). But hey, can't beat the price. However, without a riser adjustment like the one Chuck made, it sits too low for my needs, so I'll probably look into another model.

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/forgaming/vwp?.dir=/&.src=ph&.dnm=Clutter+Catcher+1.jpg&.view=t&.done=http%3a//photos.yahoo.com/bc/forgaming/lst%3f%26.dir=/%26.src=ph%26.view=t[/im g]
[img]http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/forgaming/vwp?.dir=/&.src=ph&.dnm=Clutter+Catcher+2.jpg&.view=t&.done=http%3a//photos.yahoo.com/bc/forgaming/lst%3f%26.dir=/%26.src=ph%26.view=t[/im g]

------------------
(o: Terry [img]http://www.odyclub.com/ubb/redface.gif)
'02 GG EX-L RES
Splash guards, mod floor mats & cargo tray, soon-to-be TV tuner, soon-to-be Zaino

[This message has been edited by forgaming (edited 11-07-2001).]

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by forgaming:
I bought the Clutter Catcher at Wal-mart for $24.99 last week. It's also made by TSI, but this one doesn't have the padded armrest piece as in Chuck's (other than that, it's almost identical). But hey, can't beat the price. However, without a riser adjustment like the one Chuck made, it sits too low for my needs, so I'll probably look into another model.
</font>
Wow! That's a steal. I couldn't find any decent looking consoles of any brand around here until I saw mine for $65 and I'd seen it for up to $100 at one store.

------------------
Chuck

·
Registered
234 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by forgaming:

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/forgaming/vwp?.dir=/&.src=ph&.dnm=Clutter+Catcher+1.jpg&.view=t&.done=http%3a//photos.yahoo.com/bc/forgaming/lst%3f%26.dir=/%26.src=ph%26.view=t[/im g]
[img]http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/forgaming/vwp?.dir=/&.src=ph&.dnm=Clutter+Catcher+2.jpg&.view=t&.done=http%3a//photos.yahoo.com/bc/forgaming/lst%3f%26.dir=/%26.src=ph%26.view=t[/im g]

[/b]</font>[/quote]

I paid the same at Walmart, and really don't need the padded armrest. I think that I will do the Chuck mod.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanx for the vote of confidence, but the fact that virtually every one would have to be custom made to the varying desires of the owners and the dimensions of different consoles (in other words relatively expensive to produce) and would require the presence of the vehicle means the demand would most likely be pretty low.

------------------
Chuck

[This message has been edited by ckonarske (edited 11-08-2001).]

1 - 20 of 22 Posts