Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I was shopping for a 2002 with RES. We really wanted to take delivery before a March 25 trip. Our dealer said he had one that should be there on time. Then he showed us a 2002 with Navi. I asked if he could put the DVD system in there. He said Honda doesn't recommend both but they could do it.

The wife and I got excited and we decided to go for the Navi and add the DVD system.

I was so dazed and exicted that I didn't bother to question the dealer on the type of system he'd be installing. I just assumed that it would be the Honda system.

Well, he gave me and Audiovox system, with a 6.8" screen (with no tuner) and an Audiovox DVD player. The DVD is mounted under the driver's side rear captain's seat--not too bad, you can put in a new disk from the passenger seat.

The screen seems to have a decent picture, but I'm sure there are better screens out there. This one has a low pixel count (around 240,000).

Overall we are happy with the setup but there are a few issues. First, they are using an FM modulator to tap into the stereo. With this setup we have a very detectable buzzing or humming sound. I took it back today and they are ordering a "filter" to correct this. Will this correct the issue?

The second issue is that with the current setup passenger's using the wireless headphones can listen to a movie and passenger's up front can listen to a CD. That's great, but I believe the Honda RES can do this with out the headphones. So, the rear speakers play the movie sound and the fronts play a CD or radio. Is this correct? This is an issue for me because my son is only 14 months old and headphones are not an option just yet.

We have a good install but these issues are bothering me a bit. We paid $1500 for this system and I expected it to be the same as the stock Honda system. Now I see it online for under $900. I know it is my fault for not asking all the right questions but I wondering if I can complain to my dealer and either get some money back or maybe get him to install a better and bigger screen for no charge. Do you think I have an argument?

Also, who makes the Honda system? Does anyone have specs on it?

TIA,
Brian

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by sigamy:
Hi all,
With this setup we have a very detectable buzzing or humming sound. I took it back today and they are ordering a "filter" to correct this. Will this correct the issue?
</font>
Though not the first way I'd diagnose/combat the noise issue, if the sound varies in frequency with engine RPM, likely it will work fine.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
That's great, but I believe the Honda RES can do this with out the headphones. So, the rear speakers play the movie sound and the fronts play a CD or radio. Is this correct?
</font>
IIRC, the RES requires use of the headphones for dual zone, but not 100% sure.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
We have a good install but these issues are bothering me a bit. We paid $1500 for this system and I expected it to be the same as the stock Honda system. Now I see it online for under $900. I know it is my fault for not asking all the right questions but I wondering if I can complain to my dealer and either get some money back or maybe get him to install a better and bigger screen for no charge. Do you think I have an argument?

Also, who makes the Honda system? Does anyone have specs on it?

TIA,
Brian
</font>
Maybe you have an argument with screen size; the 6.8" is 4:3 and the Honda system is 7" 16:9, but this will probably have more to do with how good you are at negotiating and complaining. It will be hard to argue since you already took delivery. (right?) But you do have the argument of the poor quality (buzzing) on your side to argue with. It doesn't hurt to try...

BTW, 6.8" systems are falling in the $600-$700 range now, with in-dash DVD too. Panasonic and Audiovox inclusive....

Not sure about who makes the Honda system. I haven't even looked at one!

------------------
-Shin John
'01 DEP EX, and I'm workin' on it! (slowly)

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
The second issue is that with the current setup passenger's using the wireless headphones can listen to a movie and passenger's up front can listen to a CD. That's great, but I believe the Honda RES can do this with out the headphones. So, the rear speakers play the movie sound and the fronts play a CD or radio. Is this correct?</font>
No. The Honda RES's speakers are all tied to the front source. BUT, what the Honda RES does is cut out the rear speakers when the rear source is different, so that rear passengers don't hear the rear speaker sound interfering with their headphone listening.

·
Registered
42 Posts
The noise filter should correct the humming sound coming from the engine. Another solution I found out is having them fine-tune the FM modulator to 88.7 instead of 89.1. They initially tuned my FM modulator to 89.1 and when the van is moving I can hear some sort of a frequency interference. I brought it back to them and they fine tuned it to 88.7, problem solved.

Hi all,

First, they are using an FM modulator to tap into the stereo. With this setup we have a very detectable buzzing or humming sound. I took it back today and they are ordering a "filter" to correct this. Will this correct the issue?

TIA,
Brian
</font>
[This message has been edited by Miss Ody (edited 03-11-2002).]

[This message has been edited by Miss Ody (edited 03-11-2002).]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts