Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 20 of 168 Posts

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings Fellow Oddy Owners;
This past weekend was a VERY long weekend for my oddy EXL and I.

It was the installation of my aftermarked DVD system. Oh what a joy it was.

I installed the following....

JVC KV-MR9000 (nice grey LCD unit)

BRAVO SD-20T (Plays DVD and MP3's)

SNHOND3

Touring\EXL RES Lower console unit (make sure to get the
left and right clips!) Having the right screws didnt hurt either.

Installation. Ok installation was the biggest pain in the ass. Taking down the headliner was a challenge onto itself.

I started by removing the sunvisors (and clips) then the center light (and mirror assembly) Holy **** handles came out on both sides. Weather stripping around driver and pass. front doors, then the airbag pillar covers (by the windshield)

Then I went into the back. Removed the top half of the rear door weatherstripping. White goo that they use in the weather stripping sux! (real messy)

Holy **** handles out of the second row area, AC vents on both sides out. AC controls OUT. Side pillar covers I was able to loosen and just slide down enough so when I popped the headliner down, it cleared them.

Installation of the JVC Unit.
I used basically the same display unit that nanalima1 used. Only thing I didnt like about his install was putting the mounting place so close to the sunroof cover/visor. He installed it between the metal support up there and the sunroof visor. I would wonder that over the years of use that the fabric on the cover would snag on that mounting plate. What I did was mount it to the underside of that metal support. I cut the screws and used self locking nuts on them. Lots of clearance. Nowhere near the sunroof visor either. (I think I took pics of it)

I ran the wires along the passenger side, down the pilar by the windshield to the floor. That was pretty easy.
I ran the main wire for the JVC unit, and extended the 4 wires for the units built in lights so I can work on it in the front.

When I was putting up the JVC unit, I noticed that I needed longer screws. Turns out the screws for the jvc are too short. It always a PLEASURE to go to home depot to search for 4mm x 20 mm long screws. Yes folks the unit uses 4mm screws. ARRRGH.
I can only imagine how long the ones nanalima1 had to be because he mounted the mounting plate much higher then I did.

Anywho, after getting the LCD unit squared away and on the ceiling I went on to the radio. Getting the covers on the dash off was a tense moment. Natually you dont want to scratch the hell or break anything.... With some care and patience, I finally got the radio out, I had to figure out what power of the harness to tap off of. Now that was fun. I connected an "always on (memory) line , acc. power line, and figured what line turns on when the radio is on. When messing around in there I just connected a ground wire too to the lowest nut on the radio.

Connecting the jvc dome light to the factory dome light system was a pain in the ass too. I finally found a lead that I tapped off of the dome light switch. It had to turn on manually and also be able to turn on when the door opens. Finally got that one straighten out. GEEEZ. (few hours later and realizing how a dome system works in the van using grounds)

After I soldered all the connects in place I wired things up. WOW it actually works. I will just add a fusable link to the memory line side of the JVC lights. (it bothered me to have constant power and no fuse to show for it)

Installation of the radio with the brackets was easy. Aftermarket radios are a little smaller than the Honda radios. About a 1/4 inch on both sides of the unit. I used the provided din plate, just pushed it fast the front cover of the radio. When I set the touring aftermarket cover it filled the void on both sides.

The only thing I really changed with the system afterwards was to add two Y adapters to the outgoing feed from the dvd player. I wanted to be able to play songs off the player while the lcd was off. When branching off the jvc unit, it has to be powered on to allow sound to pass through to the factory radio. Use a y cable and problem solved.

All in all the system sounds great in the van. I was playing Easy Money in there and had been tempted to watch the entire movie while in there.

Any questions about the install, fire away before I forget it. (trust me, I looked forward to this install being a distant memory after 15 min in looking how to remove the headliner, LOL)

I'll post a few pics.

Tom

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Closeup of the radio from the front (yep fuzzy again)

I have to clean up some plastic chips here and there from the RES lower unit. (just need to get in there with a towel)

Attachments

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Rear view of the JVC display unit playing a movie.

This looks about as factory as I could make it. Wife loves it. I scored LOTS of points on this install.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Very nice prof-looking job ! Congrats ! Good idea on getting the proper lower-console unit, no one will ever guess that you had just plain EX-L before :)

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It was ALLOT of work. It took longer too because of distractions such as weather, people stopping over etc. But in the end I am pretty pleased with the results. My objective was to make this as factory/clean as possible. I think I pretty much got there.

I still have to put some mp3's on cd and a dvd. I just want to confirm the formats and media that it plays with.

Yesterday I received the splash guards, i'll put those in this afternoon after work.

Tom

·
Registered
34 Posts
Very nice work Tom. Especially like the player in the lower dash rather than in the roof unit. Thanks for posting those pics.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Great job! Each new DIY install posted is giving me more confidence to attempt it myself.

Before I attempt my install, I have a few questions....

1) Were you concerned about accidentally setting off the side or curtain airbags when removing pillars and headliner? I believe all you have to is disconnect the battery and wait a few minutes and it should be safe, although I am being paranoid.

2) I also plan to tap into the factory radio wiring harness (I will be back there anyway installing the SNHOND3). Did you use t-taps? Do you happen to remember the colors or pins you used for power, accessory, etc....

3) The install manual states that the dome lights can be tapped into the existing dome lights and connected either positive or negative switched (positive systems supply voltage to the interior lights to turn them on, negative switched systems apply ground to illuminate the bulbs). Since you mentioned you struggled with this, can you confirm whether it is negative switched?

Thanks!

·
Registered
257 Posts
Sexytom said:

Touring\EXL RES Lower console unit (make sure to get the
left and right clips!) Having the right screws didnt hurt either.
Hi... I am going to order the lower DVD console as indicated in this thread.
The part number is #11 however, I am trying to figure out what else do I need to order for the center console.

Please review the diagram taken from the slhondaparts.com website.

AFTER CAREFULLY LOOKING AT THE DIAGRAM - I think the following parts are the ones that are needed. PLease correct me if I am wrong.
Parts:
11 - Lower Center Console
27 - Tapping screw (4 of them)
22 - Clip (right side)
24 - Clip (left side)

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
RJ05;
All you need from that diagram shown is number 11 in the right color. Dont order

27 - Tapping screw (4 of them)
22 - Clip (right side)
24 - Clip (left side)

They are already there!

If you search on hondaautomotiveparts.com and lookup
Rear Display unit.

part 2 and 4 (left and right radio brackets) Making those from scratch would be too much of a pain in the ass.

In addition I would recommend ordering two 35' and two 36's. (Screws are always good to have)

To get into the main harness for the radio, I just cut and soldered my connections in. If I were to do that again, I would most likely just buy the male and female aftermarket wiring connectors. Most places carry the male plugs, but females CAN be ordered. Solder all the wires correctly while also adding your ACC, memory and ant. power feeds in.

(male connectors interface with the van's OEM plug, female connectors go to the radio)

If you search around here you should find a thread or two listing sites that carry them. My local circuit city had the male plug but would take a week to get the female in.

What's nice about that setup is that you can work on all the wiring you need outside the van. Just plug it into the car's existing plug and your all set.

Tom

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Lastblade

If I had the free time I would help, but if you have any questions about how to do it or what you'll need. Fire away.

The biggest challenge about the install is figuring how to remove stuff without breaking anything. Once you got that going, the install isnt too bad. Figuring out the black/red stripe wire to tap into for the LCD dome lights took awhile to figure out.

robbief

#1 At first I thought about the airbag issue. They just dont go off at random. I never disconnected the power on my car at all.

#2 See the previous post I left. It'll make your life easier for the 30.00 for two cables. (remember, you are saving on the install cost, so splurge and make your life easier!)

#3 Its a negative system. The 4 wires from the LCD unit had memory, acc battery, ground and door switch.

One thing that I can also recommend is taking a flathead screwdriver and wrap some electric tape on the end of it. Nothing looks crappier then plastic all twisted up from a screwdrivers head. The tape wrap helped.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Sexytom said:
If you search on hondaautomotiveparts.com and lookup
Rear Display unit.

part 2 and 4 (left and right radio brackets) Making those from scratch would be too much of a pain in the ass.

In addition I would recommend ordering two 35' and two 36's. (Screws are always good to have)
This is the diagram for everyone's perfonal info. Thanks a million for the quick response.

Link to parts list

Another linky to the parts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Sexytom, I have a few questions for you.

#1 - The 9 inch LCD that you are using does it block your rear view mirror?
(I am debating in buying a 10.0, 10.4 or 9 inch overhead LCD.)

#2 - The PEI device that you used to tap into the AUX exactly what functionality does it provide?
(I know the following, correct me if I am wrong: The PEI to AUX allows for the AUX button on the radio to be pressed in order to channel the DVD player sound to the speakers in the odyssey. However, does it allow you to control the DVD tracks through the radio as well?)

I am going to attempt the install myself with my cousin once I have all the parts that I need. So far these are the parts which I've ordered:

- The same DVD unit which Sexytom is using - BRAVO SD-20T
- The Touring/RES console in Gray (my interior color)

#3 - Besides the PEI device and the overhead LCD is there anything else that I need to order for the install???

#4 - Sexytom, did you use the HELMS manual in order to take a part the headliner or did you just did it by trial and error?

Thanks for your replies....

1 - 20 of 168 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.