Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After some lengthy research, the aftermarket foglight kits for the 08+ came out a few months back. Prior to that the only option was to get the genuine Honda fog kits. I know others have tried the aftermarket ones for the 05-07 but as most of you know, the style was changed for 08.

These ones I got are from Ebay and they cost $140 (include shipping). The build quality of the fogs themselves are actually quite good. The entire fog housing is diecast aluminum, and the lens is glass. It comes with all the hardware you need (relay, wiring harness, switch, fuse, etc). This kit is not an exact duplicate of the factory kit where it taps into various factory harness and comes with a replacement headlight stalk. The install took me about 4 hours to install from start to finish. The light output and functionality is good. The fogs are also adjustable up/down just like the factory ones.

The one thing that will make this install difficult for some is the number of custom work you have to do to the wiring harness to make it work for the Odyssey. The main one is extending the 3 wire harness to go into the vehicle for the on/off switch. Another thing is the on/off switch they provided wouldn't fit the hole next to the VSA button, so I had to stick it next to the door slider button (mine is EX so don't have sunroof). Also there is no install manual that comes with this kit.

Here is a How-To on installing the kit. (I need to first apologize for any typo because I put all this together in about 20 min)

The kit comes in this basic brown box

Here are the fogs, and wiring harness

Fog light itself

One wiring harness for the foglights, and a second harness for fuse, relay, battery, and switch

Here is the entire connection layout of both wiring harness

to be cont'd

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
cont'd

Here is the relay and its respective wiring connector

This shows: Red wire = relay trigger wire ; Black connector = connects to the fog switch ; White wire = connect to battery +12V (it comes fused already)

I drove the Ody onto two ramps to make the install easier. I recommend you remove the bumper, but I didn't and just dropped the bottom splash panel. With the bumper on, it makes removing the fog blank fillers very difficult, and connecting the fog's ground wire very difficult. Picture shows I have ran the foglight wiring harness from the driver's side to the passenger side.

Right behind the center grill (driver's side) is a factory ground bolt for you to attach the foglight harness ground wire. Since I didn't remove the bumper, I used brute force to pull back the bumper, and put a wrench behind it to get access.

To be cont'd

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Cont'd

Next you need to drop the second wiring harness with the relay/fuse/etc from the engine compartment to the driver's side fog hole, and connect the 2 red wires together (this is the +12V for the foglights) - refer to the wiring pic in the earlier post. NOTE: it's a tight fit to drop the wire down and a coat hanger can be helpful in fishing the wire down.
Now you can install the metal clip onto each side of the fog hole, and install the fogs into the hole. Secure it with the single Phillips screw.

For the second wiring harness with the relay, battery, and ground connection, connect that ground wire to a ground bolt above the front grill (remove the clips holding the black plastic cover in the engine bay above the grill).

Connect the relay +12V trigger wire (thin red wire) to the driver's side parking light. Connect the red wire to the factory red wire on the parking light connector.

You will need to extend the white wire to the car battery and terminate it with a ring terminal (not included). Please use butt crimp connector or solder and DON'T JUST TWIST AND TAPE the wires together)

I wrapped the relay and fuse together with electrical tape and using double side tape, stick it to the quarter panel next to the air filter box. You will see that the top wire I am holding is the connector that will be going into the cabin of the car for the on/off switch.

To be cont'd

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Cont'd

I cut the wiring for the on/off switch and using my own wire, extended it so it can reach the inside of the car. You can use butt crimping connectors or soldering to achieve this (Please no twisting wire and just taping it).

Follow the hood release cable on the driver's side in the engine bay and feed your switch wire into the driver's side quarter panel. You will find a rubber grommet behind the door wiring harness which you can use to feed the wire into the car.

Remove the driver's side kick plate, and pull back the lower gas/hood release panel, and feed the wire from the grommet hole to the inside hole (there are 2 sheet metal you have to go through)

Here is another pic of the inside hole (you first have to pull back a black tape covering the hole)

To get the wire to the blank switch hole, you need to first remove the driver's side dash end piece. Then using your finger, work the switches and blanks out. Now feed the switch wiring to the switch hole. You need to reconnect the switch connector that you cut earlier onto the extended wire.

To be cont'd

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Cont'd

Install the switch in the dash

Test the light by first turning on your Park light, and then switching on your fog light. Also you can aim the fogs up/down with the adjustment screw.

I just called my dealer and ordered a 07 Ody foglight switch. Will pick it up tomorrow. I will attempt to retrofit a factory fog to the aftermarket wiring harness. This switch will allow a factory switch placed next to the VSA Switch. Stay tuned.

That's it.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Today I went to pick up the Honda Odyssey fog switch for the 07 (actually 05-07 will work). It cost $20. Obviously the switch doesn't include the male connector so I soldered the wires onto the switch itself. The operation is same as the aftermarket switch, so it uses the same 3 wires.

Here is the fog switch I got

Seperate the switch from the outside black sleeve cover

With it seperated

Switch Pinout

Soldered the wires onto the switch pins

Connected the 3 wires to the aftermarket wire harness

Plug the switch in and it's all done and works (by the way, I put the VSA and Fog switch on opposite ends so there will be no confusion when turning on the fog at night)

Finished, YAY!!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Nice job. I want to do this to my accord. But I still don't understand how to use the wire harness. How did you figure out which connector goes to which? Did the kit come with a nice installation manual?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
All aftermarket fog kits will have the same type of connection BUT I don't think all kits use the same color wiring and the same type of connector. Also those kits sold on Ebay will NOT come with an install manual. That's why they say have it installed by a professional so the seller are not responsible for providing any type of instructions. As for how did I figure out the wiring harness...with the help of a multimeter and a background in electronics and doing many car installs in my younger days. These days, it's just more of a hobby for me to play with stuff like this. To avoid any damage, you really have to ohm out all the wires to know where everything goes. It's not safe to just assume and try your luck.

·
Registered
194 Posts
thanks for an excellent write up.

How's the output itself? Is there a cutoff, which would make suitable for an HID kit, or no cutoff?

·
Registered
780 Posts
Can you provide a photo showing the beam pattern?

Also, what bulbs do they take?

·
Registered
317 Posts
Awesome write up. I was looking at one of these kits for my Civic but was a bit apprehensive. After your write up and critique of the quality, I think I'm going to get one.

Nice job.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Wow that seems like a lot of custom work just to install a couple of fog lights! Nice post...I was actually looking for part # and wiring on the oem fog light switch. However wouldn't it be so much easier to just get the oem fog light kit for $235 and have everything plug into the original wiring harness??

I was debating on installing fogs. Is there a noticeable difference in light when driving at night? I have them on my suv but hardly ever use them. Then there's others who seem to have them on 100% of the time. What drives me crazy is some cars like the Audi where people have their headlights off and only the fogs on!

·
Registered
194 Posts
King said:
However wouldn't it be so much easier to just get the oem fog light kit for $235 and have everything plug into the original wiring harness??
It's been a while since I've read the thread on OEM fog light installation, but IIRC the OEM foglights are not "pre-wired". It's a good amount of work even going with OEM.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Originally posted by
ody2ody

ody2ody,

Sorry guys for an off topic question, but look like ody2ody, you had the van sat on the ramp ? the reason I ask, I want to know, how safe/reliable and how did you like them ? and where did you get them, I saw them at walmart and peepboy's but didn't have a gut to try, was it easy to do the oil change with the van up on the ramp ? I had 3tons heavy duty floor jack with stands, just want to know if it's less hassle not to drag the floor jack and stands out, by using the ramp. Thanks.

TT,

·
Registered
71 Posts
tech_table said:
ody2ody,

Sorry guys for an off topic question, but look like ody2ody, you had the van sat on the ramp ? the reason I ask, I want to know, how safe/reliable and how did you like them ? and where did you get them, I saw them at walmart and peepboy's but didn't have a gut to try, was it easy to do the oil change with the van up on the ramp ? I had 3tons heavy duty floor jack with stands, just want to know if it's less hassle not to drag the floor jack and stands out, by using the ramp. Thanks.

TT,

Nice write up on the fogs which is something I need to get.

On the ramp question I have a similar set I use for servicing my ody.

I like it much faster then using a jack and stands and gives lots of room to get under and drain the oil and change the filter.

Just be careful driving up go slow so you don't overshoot the ramp.

Oil changes take me less then 30 minutes to do with the ramp.

·
Registered
302 Posts
This thread is the best.

I just got this kit for my 05 and was scratching my head on how I could install it.

You answered pretty much all my questions. But I still have a few after reading your install.

1) Where you say in your instal thread,
Connect the relay +12V trigger wire (thin red wire) to the driver's side parking light. Connect the red wire to the factory red wire on the parking light connector.
Does this mean you clipped off the plug that came with the harness and spliced into the red parking light wire?

2)
You will need to extend the white wire to the car battery and terminate it with a ring terminal (not included).
Again do you clip off the connector and discard it and connect to the positive of the battery with the ring terminal?

3) The wires 4 to the switch. 2 Red, Yellow and Black. There are four on the harness. You cut them and extended them through the hood latch. You picture shows 3 wire colours. Yellow, Orange and Blue. Where is the 4th?

And why are there 2 reds on the harness to the switch? Thanks.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I don't really check this post anymore, but OUZO did PM me so here is my response I sent and for everyone to see (below). I definitely don't mind answering any questions, so PM me if you need help.

1) Yes, the relay wire need to connect directly to the parking light +12V wire. This will allow you to turn off the fog once headlights/parklights are off, and also turn on fog light when just parking lights are on

2) Yes, I say to extend the white wire because the white wire in my kit was just too short to reach the battery, if yours can reach, you can just connect it directly to the battery. But you have to use your own ring terminal on the battery post.

3) The 2 red wires connected at the switch are actually tied to the same wire which goes to the single parking light +12V. The reason the switch needs both red wires becuase one feeds the actual on/off switch inside, and the other one is to power the illumination light bulb in the switch. NOTE: the extension wire I used happens to be yellow, orange, blue, but you can use whatever color you want as long as you keep both ends consistent.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Well I installed mine along with my Bixenon projector lights.

2 birds with one stone since the bumper was off. Man I spent 12 hours doing both.

Anyway the kit was the same except mine was with the 05-08 fogs. And the switch was different. It pluged into the lower pocket beside the VSA button.

I followed your wiring scheme. Man getting the wires through the wheel well and through the grommet at the door into the cabin was a pain. Must of took me 100 tries. My back was hurting bigtime from contourting myself down there.

So all works well. Only con is the switch ilumination. The colour of the bulb they suply in the switch does not match the interior bulbs at all.

·
Registered
290 Posts
OUZO Power said:
Well I installed mine along with my Bixenon projector lights.

2 birds with one stone since the bumper was off. Man I spent 12 hours doing both.

Anyway the kit was the same except mine was with the 05-08 fogs. And the switch was different. It pluged into the lower pocket beside the VSA button.

I followed your wiring scheme. Man getting the wires through the wheel well and through the grommet at the door into the cabin was a pain. Must of took me 100 tries. My back was hurting bigtime from contourting myself down there.

So all works well. Only con is the switch ilumination. The colour of the bulb they suply in the switch does not match the interior bulbs at all.
do you mind post some pics up??

Thanks

1 - 20 of 32 Posts