Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before I get into my question...I ordered a 02 EX yesterday (MSRP) and will hopefully get the Ody at the end of January. Back to the question...Has anyone tried to use an aftermarket foglight (PIAA or Hella for example) on the Ody? I am typically unhappy with OEM fogs that really are more for looks and do not seem to do much. (Plus the dealer wants $589 for them.) I would love to use the wiring harness that Honda uses, but not sure if I can buy one, or reproduce one. Any wiring diagrams on the web? Sorry for all of the questions, but I wanted to start my research early. Thank you for your time.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
Hi Bruno, welcome to OdyClub. I was just curious ... how did you find the site?

I'm pretty sure the wiring diagrams for the Ody aren't on the net. Go ahead and order the Service Manual from Helms, Inc. for about $70. It's well worth it if you do any work on the Ody. I believe there's also an electrical manual available for less money.

------------------
Jim
'01 GG EX w/stuff
'93 Nissan Sentra SE-R with more stuff

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I found the site through a yahoo search I believe. I frequent the Edmunds and this board daily.

I am surprised to hear that the Ody lights are better than PIAA! From those people I know have PIAA, love them and think they put out a ton of light. (BTW ckonarske, I love all of your pictures! There is a wealth of knowledge in your pictures.) I still think $306 (handa-accessories site) is a bit much, but maybe I am wrong. Are the Honda lights really fog light or driving lights? Living in Colorado, I would love to be able to have my brights on and then fill in that area with light. Do you know what I am trying to say?

Is there anyway to install the Honda lights without taking off the bumper?

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Bruno1453:
I found the site through a yahoo search I believe. I frequent the Edmunds and this board daily.

I am surprised to hear that the Ody lights are better than PIAA! From those people I know have PIAA, love them and think they put out a ton of light. (BTW ckonarske, I love all of your pictures! There is a wealth of knowledge in your pictures.) I still think $306 (handa-accessories site) is a bit much, but maybe I am wrong. Are the Honda lights really fog light or driving lights? Living in Colorado, I would love to be able to have my brights on and then fill in that area with light. Do you know what I am trying to say?

Is there anyway to install the Honda lights without taking off the bumper?
</font>
Thanx for the compliments.

Nope, sorry, the bumper has to come off, but it's really very easy. After you've done it once, it's easier doing it than reading about how to do it.

I suppose the Hondas are technically fogs because if properly adjusted they don't extend beyond the brights.

To try to envision them, go out on a dark road and turn on the lights, bright or dim. Notice the dark area between the vehicle and where the illumination starts. That's the area the fog lights fill. And I mean FILL! They also lay out a blanket of light roughly a little more or less than 180 degrees so the sides of your field of vision are virtually filled.

With my lights wired so I can use my fogs with parks, dims and brights I'm very happy with the Honda fog's performance.

I can't really say there aren't PIAAs that match or exceed them, but the ones I had didn't. They were ion lamps and I didn't care for the color shift when looking from one illumination area to the other, so that didn't help.

I did have a pair of Hellas on my 4Runner that may have worked as well, but the performance of the Hondas coupled with the original equipment look wins my vote. You're right, though, they're expensive.

------------------
Chuck
Click here for Ody pics, mods and fixes on FotoTime.

[This message has been edited by ckonarske (edited 11-08-2001).]

·
Registered
483 Posts
Chuck:
Do you know if there's a difference in illumination between the regular Ody fogs vs. the bumper inserts (projector lights)?

I went to the dealer today to inquire about the fogs and the price was expensive - Cdn$550 for regular fogs (fills the hole) and Cdn$721 for the projectors (bumper inserts). I was kin of leaning towards the projectors but at that price I may end up getting the regular fogs (still espensive though).

·
Registered
1,312 Posts

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
Before I get into my question...I ordered a 02 EX yesterday (MSRP) and will hopefully get the Ody at the end of January. Back to the question...Has anyone tried to use an aftermarket foglight (PIAA or Hella for example) on the Ody? I am typically unhappy with OEM fogs that really are more for looks and do not seem to do much. (Plus the dealer wants $589 for them.) I would love to use the wiring harness that Honda uses, but not sure if I can buy one, or reproduce one. Any wiring diagrams on the web? Sorry for all of the questions, but I wanted to start my research early. Thank you for your time.
</font>
Bruno,
I have a set of Hyper brand lights on my Ody. They do a great job of "filling" spots that need to be. Pretty wide coverage towards each side of the van too. (I have pics in my album if interested)Can't say they are better than the factory lamps since I've never seen them in action.
I had a set of PIAA's on my Civic and later a set of Catz by Fetz. Both were also good lamps.Good quality. The PIAA's were transfered to my Starlet, the Catz replaced them. Then both were stolen with each car.
Hope that helps.

------------------
-ROB-
'01 GG LX "Lagreat"(with stuff,just S-T-U-F-F)

http://community.webshots.com/album/18601743AkjQIJiKqK

·
Registered
483 Posts
Chuck:
Sorry. I meant the one for 2002. I believe it is the same as the 2001 or 2000. It's pictured at HandA in the section where they're selling the full nose mask.

Thanks.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Bruno1453,

I don't have experience with the aftermarket fogs you were talking about, but I can say the Honda ones really light up the road. In fact, the fogs provide a pretty good cornering lamp coverage. I turned them off once to see whether the cost was worth it and I was convinced it was.

Just my $0.02 worth.

Jeff

------------------
Jeff

'01 SS EX
Cassette, Rosen Video System, Fog Lights, Splash Guards
Full Nose Mask

See photos at:
http://www.fototime.com/inv/B5EC5C7BC6CFA07

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Kuruma Hayai:
Chuck:
Sorry. I meant the one for 2002. I believe it is the same as the 2001 or 2000. It's pictured at HandA in the section where they're selling the full nose mask.

Thanks.
</font>
Sorry, I should have just answered the question because the answer is "I don't know."

The round lights with fillers are pre 2001. The lamps that fill the opening in the bumper were finally available in November, 2000 for the 2001 and later model years.

I think I've only seen the older, round ones on one van and have never seen them illuminated. Because of the design of the reflector in the new ones, it's hard to imagine that the older ones could even be as good, much less be better.

The new ones throw a very wide, even pattern of light, which is what I wanted. I'm very happy with them.

Let us know what you decide.

Even in Canadian dollars, something sounds wrong in the prices they told you. IIRC, the prices for the two different styles was approximately the same, but the older ones may not even be available anymore.

------------------
Chuck
Click here for Ody pics, mods and fixes on FotoTime.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everyone for the opinions and info so far! I do have another question, why type of bulbs do the factory lights take, and does anyone think they make a HID conversion kit for that bulb? I will NOT give up my high beams to use the conversion kit at HID Conversion Kits, but maybe I could use it in the fogs. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
261 Posts
...does anyone think they make a HID conversion kit for that bulb? I will NOT give up my high beams to use the conversion kit at HID Conversion Kits, but maybe I could use it in the fogs. Any thoughts?</font>
Good question and a brilliant idea!!!
Anyone knows the answer?

------------------

·
Registered
21 Posts
The fatory light hi/low beam combo is 9003 or H4. I currently use the xenon white bulbs by Hiper Industry for about a month and happy with it.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Actually, I am taking about the fog lights, the bulb in the factory fog lights. Sorry for any confusion my post caused.

·
Registered
261 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by MGians:
...plugged in a pair of H1 Flusser 110w amber bulbs...</font>
So H1 it is!!! are your fog lights the 2001 model (the new model which covers the whole hole in the bumber) or the 1999-2000 fog lights (the old one with round projector) ???

------------------

·
Registered
261 Posts
checkout these conversion kits for the headlights (H4 AKA 9003) and the 2001 fog lights (H1).

I guess days ago, I read a post from someone also interested in conversion kits...testing our responses to the idea of group buy discount. I didnt follow-up with that topic, so would someone update?

------------------

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I just ordered the factory fogs from Trevor! I am interested in the HID's if the price is right and they would be an improvement over the standard fogs. Not many folks are posting at the Group Buy area these days, so I don't know of any news.

·
Registered
261 Posts
...Not many folks are posting at the Group Buy area these days...</font>
Maybe its the economy - a bear market.

------------------

1 - 20 of 20 Posts