Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
2014 EX-L • 63k • BC coilovers
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
Can someone send me a link to a CAI or SRI for the 4th gen? I know they mostly decrease numbers because they aren’t truly cold but I’d still like to free up my bay.
Thanks,
Chris

·
Registered
5,821 Posts
I already told you before (i think) and others. Factory setup is THE BEST and nothing will ever beat it.

And why do you need more room, got a turbo like me or something? Factory setup doesn't get in the way of anything nor is it big. Look at a 3rd gen, now that's a complete mess and inefficient setup.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
I dropped a K&N filter in the stock box, can hear the motor a bit more when putting it down.
They say you get 3-5 horsepower gain, some guy on youtube did dyno tests before and after on a subaru and shows the numbers.
but I barely notice the difference with the upgrade.

Keep the paper filter, and use it temporarily when washing the K&N @ every oil change.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I already told you before (i think) and others. Factory setup is THE BEST and nothing will ever beat it.

And why do you need more room, got a turbo like me or something? Factory setup doesn't get in the way of anything nor is it big. Look at a 3rd gen, now that's a complete mess and inefficient setup.
Yeah I know it will probably decrease hp. Might get a quote for a full custom one i’m not sure yet. Off topic but Ranger, do you know of or have a j-pipe installed or know which fit the 4th gen?

·
Registered
2015 Odyssey EX
2,403 Posts
Yeah I know it will probably decrease hp. Might get a quote for a full custom one i’m not sure yet. Off topic but Ranger, do you know of or have a j-pipe installed or know which fit the 4th gen?
You're playing your cards pretty close to the vest here. Deliberately spending good money to make the van worse is completely nonsensical. Especially if you're looking for a j-pipe too, presumably to do a custom exhaust.

I'm with @MrRangerZr1 - where's the motivation to gain that extra space coming from? As far as I know, no one is impressed by a louder-than-stock but slower-than-stock vehicle. So you've got me curious here - what's the whole plan?

·
Registered
2013 Ody Touring with 125 on it, never wrecked, escaped VCM so far...
34 Posts
As far as I know, no one is impressed by a louder-than-stock but slower-than-stock vehicle.
Maybe he's friends with a lot of Harley Davidson riders?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You're playing your cards pretty close to the vest here. Deliberately spending good money to make the van worse is completely nonsensical. Especially if you're looking for a j-pipe too, presumably to do a custom exhaust.

I'm with @MrRangerZr1 - where's the motivation to gain that extra space coming from? As far as I know, no one is impressed by a louder-than-stock but slower-than-stock vehicle. So you've got me curious here - what's the whole plan?
The plan is to add some j37 parts like the manifold and TB. I’d like to add a catch can too and depending on where the PCV lines are i’m gonna need some space. Forced Induction is a possibility in the future but i know the tranny is a weak point so who knows at this point.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The plan is to add some j37 parts like the manifold and TB. I’d like to add a catch can too and depending on where the PCV lines are i’m gonna need some space. Forced Induction is a possibility in the future but i know the tranny is a weak point so who knows at this point.
Possibly will do some sort of ecu change so I can get her tuned. gonna be expensive af tho😅😅😅

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Should I just have a custom intake fabricated (depending on price) and possibly have the bumper cut?

·
Registered
2016 Touring Elite
1,599 Posts
I think there is a Ridgline/Passport intake that fits just fine (SRI).

A few on here have done the pre-cat/j-pipe thing... keep in mine that the back half of the J-pipe is different, since it snakes to the side of the van just past the firewall. That part would have to be custom. I don't remember which part is closest to working (it will have to be a 'single-port' J35 engine - maybe 08-12 Accord V6 auto?).

Nobody does ECU tuning for the Odyssey ECU, though there are options for very similar ECUs. I think the challenge is getting a company to support such a low volume (from a tuning perspective) vehicle.

-Charlie

Reactions: chrisholstine

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think there is a Ridgline/Passport intake that fits just fine (SRI).

A few on here have done the pre-cat/j-pipe thing... keep in mine that the back half of the J-pipe is different, since it snakes to the side of the van just past the firewall. That part would have to be custom. I don't remember which part is closest to working (it will have to be a 'single-port' J35 engine - maybe 08-12 Accord V6 auto?).

Nobody does ECU tuning for the Odyssey ECU, though there are options for very similar ECUs. I think the challenge is getting a company to support such a low volume (from a tuning perspective) vehicle.

-Charlie
Yeah I am gonna contact my local tuner and ask if I can possibly run a piggyback or if I need to go full standalone. Gonna be $$$$ either way lol.

·
Registered
5,821 Posts
Should I just have a custom intake fabricated (depending on price) and possibly have the bumper cut?
What is your ultimate goal, you have to ask yourself.
If you're going to track it, your going to have to do more than an intake.
If it's a daily, leave it alone. Cut the mufflers off if you want sound or something.

Like I mentioned before, if you put any aftermarket intake or whatever on these vans with no tuning, it will do absolutely nothing or make things actually worst.

Those who claim magical gains, your butt dyno and inaccurate trip meter on the van don't count, sorry.

Here's a secret...the J37 IM/TB is nearly identical to your van's J35Z8's IM/TB.
I had the J37 components on my van, I actually lost power on the dyno.
Absolutely not worth the $500.
Tried various custom SRI/CAI, no gains.

At the end of the day, Honda engineers mastered the stock setup for most power, reliability, and MPGs.

You may want to be different, in that case bag it on a set of Vossens or Forgiatos lol

I posted this thread a while back, check it out.

·
Registered
5,821 Posts
I know... Going to do a mercracing mr1900 supercharger on my ILX.

its gonna hurt!
It ain't cheap to go forced induction. HP/TQ don't come cheap.

If you don't do your own work, the cost is doubled sometimes tripled.

·
Registered
2013 Ody Touring with 125 on it, never wrecked, escaped VCM so far...
34 Posts
It ain't cheap to go forced induction. HP/TQ don't come cheap.

If you don't do your own work, the cost is doubled sometimes tripled.
What's your thoughts on removing the part of the hood gasket in front of the CAI? It's got a nice gasket behind it that seals on the intake. Do you think it would increase flow or screw it up?

I did something similar on my 2002 WRX and it did nothing except make me feel 3% more awesome that day.

·
Registered
5,821 Posts
What's your thoughts on removing the part of the hood gasket in front of the CAI? It's got a nice gasket behind it that seals on the intake. Do you think it would increase flow or screw it up?

I did something similar on my 2002 WRX and it did nothing except make me feel 3% more awesome that day.
On the stock setup? No don't remove that! That seals off the hot engine bay and cool air coming from the grille.
I actually thank Honda for putting that.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If it's a daily, leave it alone. Cut the mufflers off if you want sound or something.

Like I mentioned before, if you put any aftermarket intake or whatever on these vans with no tuning, it will do absolutely nothing or make things actually worst.

Those who claim magical gains, your butt dyno and inaccurate trip meter on the van don't count, sorry.

Here's a secret...the J37 IM/TB is nearly identical to your van's J35Z8's IM/TB.

At the end of the day, Honda engineers mastered the stock setup for most power, reliability, and MPGs.

You may want to be different, in that case bag it on a set of Vossens or Forgiatos lol

I would like it to be a quicker car that has the possibility of being tracked in the future. I believe i already asked u this but does anyone know how much power the stock tranny can actually take?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Has anyone tried a catch can to reduce crankcase pressure here?

1 - 20 of 61 Posts