Honda Odyssey Forum banner

21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
It ain't cheap to go forced induction. HP/TQ don't come cheap.

If you don't do your own work, the cost is doubled sometimes tripled.
absolutely DIY...

I looked a the PRL turbo, and its effin messy imo and that is the cleanest setup out there.

the mercracing supercharger is neat and tidy to better suit my ocd, along with consistent torque throughout the powerband.

a fun project before the greenies ban gasoline and fun!

·
Registered
2013 Ody Touring with 125 on it, never wrecked, escaped VCM so far...
28 Posts
On the stock setup? No don't remove that! That seals off the hot engine bay and cool air coming from the grille.
I actually thank Honda for putting that.
I don't think that makes sense to me but I'm gonna go stare at it some more. Thanks for the response.

plus keep the water out in the rain!
I refuse to believe that any intake can hydrolock any engine if it's not 100% submerged first. I have a VCM short ram on my Holden with the LS3. Any water vapor in the air just makes it run cooler and faster.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
I don't think that makes sense to me but I'm gonna go stare at it some more. Thanks for the response.

I refuse to believe that any intake can hydrolock any engine if it's not 100% submerged first. I have a VCM short ram on my Holden with the LS3. Any water vapor in the air just makes it run cooler and faster.
true, but I have seen it happen on a few vehicles in my time...

couple of recent examples was a stock Pontiac G6, in a rain storm at speed going through a deeper puddle that cleared the hood and that killed the motor.

the other was a civic si with a cai down the front, also in a rain storm.
the cai made it a nice tube for sucking up that water!

on any of my cars when installing intakes, I always went the short ram versions.

·
Registered
2014 EX-L • 63k • BC coilovers
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·

let’s see that holden lol

·
Registered
28 Posts
let’s see that holden lol
I ordered the rarest color with the rarest options (Alchemy purple, stick, no sunroof) and I've spent the last 6 years beating it like it was a minivan. It's embarrassing. It's one of 61 in purple, 14 with the stick, and only one of three with a stick and no sunroof.

I need to fix it up and sell it to a good home. It's got 117,000 miles now. 😢 That's kind of why I jumped on this van.

I'll try to find a pic from when it wasn't so beat up.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I ordered the rarest color with the rarest options (Alchemy purple, stick, no sunroof) and I've spent the last 6 years beating it like it was a minivan. It's embarrassing. It's one of 61 in purple, 14 with the stick, and only one of three with a stick and no sunroof.

I need to fix it up and sell it to a good home. It's got 117,000 miles now. 😢 That's kind of why I jumped on this van.

I'll try to find a pic from when it wasn't so beat up.
are you over in the Australia then? I just assumed everyone here was from the states lol.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Has anyone tried a catch can to reduce crankcase pressure here?
There is no pressure...the van is N/A.

Stock PCV system should be also left alone.

When your boosted, then obviously you have bypass the entire system and let crankcase breath to atmosphere.

Video on catch can breather coming soon.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
absolutely DIY...

I looked a the PRL turbo, and its effin messy imo and that is the cleanest setup out there.

the mercracing supercharger is neat and tidy to better suit my ocd, along with consistent torque throughout the powerband.

a fun project before the greenies ban gasoline and fun!
What year ILX?

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
true, but I have seen it happen on a few vehicles in my time...

couple of recent examples was a stock Pontiac G6, in a rain storm at speed going through a deeper puddle that cleared the hood and that killed the motor.

the other was a civic si with a cai down the front, also in a rain storm.
the cai made it a nice tube for sucking up that water!

on any of my cars when installing intakes, I always went the short ram versions.
These aftermarket "CAI" that run the inlet to the ground like near the foglight are the worst. For example, the 8th gen accord v6 CAIs.

No, hydroshields do not work.

You can only call your intake a CAI if there is direct fresh cool air going to the inlet and obviously high off the ground, exactly like the 4th gen stock intake and routing.
Notice how every new Honda has this design, all of their J series V6 have the inlet in the front in the grille, sealed off from engine bay.

·
Registered
28 Posts
2015 Chevy SS sedan with Holden exterior badge conversion. So a right hand drive US legal Holden SSV redline.

www.ssforums.com I go by the same name there. ☺👍🏽

Reactions: chrisholstine

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
These aftermarket "CAI" that run the inlet to the ground like near the foglight are the worst. For example, the 8th gen accord v6 CAIs.

No, hydroshields do not work.

You can only call your intake a CAI if there is direct fresh cool air going to the inlet and obviously high off the ground, exactly like the 4th gen stock intake and routing.
Notice how every new Honda has this design, all of their J series V6 have the inlet in the front in the grille, sealed off from engine bay.
Ranger, is there any way to add power without going forced induction? or is it most beneficial to try to price a standalone ecu install and go from there?

·
Registered
28 Posts
looks like the same platform as the Cadillac CTS-V
It's Zeta II, developed by Holden Australia. Bigger, better, stiffer, and used the E39 BMW M5 (and hired many of it's engineers) as a benchmark.

The Comparison: 2003 BMW M5 vs. 2015 Chevrolet SS (roadandtrack.com)

At the time, General Motors was facing yet another bankruptcy because of poor decisions, so as a response they decided to kill off their highest quality manufacturer, Holden Australia. As a response to that, Holden went all-in on refining a platform that was better than GM's bloated and hideously expensive Alpha platform for a fraction of the cost.

The succeeded wildly, and garnered the praise of every car publication in existence and a huge cult following, so naturally GM shit the bed anyway and shut down all manufacturing in Australia as a result.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
It's Zeta II, developed by Holden Australia. Bigger, better, stiffer, and used the E39 BMW M5 (and hired many of it's engineers) as a benchmark.

The Comparison: 2003 BMW M5 vs. 2015 Chevrolet SS (roadandtrack.com)

At the time, General Motors was facing yet another bankruptcy because of poor decisions, so as a response they decided to kill off their highest quality manufacturer, Holden Australia. As a response to that, Holden went all-in on refining a platform that was better than GM's bloated and hideously expensive Alpha platform for a fraction of the cost.

The succeeded wildly, and garnered the praise of every car publication in existence and a huge cult following, so naturally GM shit the bed anyway and shut down all manufacturing in Australia as a result.
I mean are we surprised GM is a cluster f of a company lmfao only thing they do right is the vette

·
Registered
2016 Touring Elite
1,585 Posts
Has anyone tried a catch can to reduce crankcase pressure here?
The stock PCV already keeps an appropriate amount of vacuum in the crankcase. The stock PCV valve is on the front head and draws a specific amount of air out of the crankcase. The rear head has an open breather that variously vents to the intake under high load or sucks in fresh air under low load to keep the crankcase free of acidic vapors (combustion products). It is already well designed and doesn't need to get changed unless you are doing forced induction.

A catch can might catch some vapors, but in a stock configuration with VCM disabled, I think you'd be disappointed in how little oil would make it to a catch can (and definitely don't vent it to atmosphere!).

-Charlie

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
The stock PCV already keeps an appropriate amount of vacuum in the crankcase. The stock PCV valve is on the front head and draws a specific amount of air out of the crankcase. The rear head has an open breather that variously vents to the intake under high load or sucks in fresh air under low load to keep the crankcase free of acidic vapors (combustion products). It is already well designed and doesn't need to get changed unless you are doing forced induction.

A catch can might catch some vapors, but in a stock configuration with VCM disabled, I think you'd be disappointed in how little oil would make it to a catch can (and definitely don't vent it to atmosphere!).

-Charlie

-Charlie
Is there a filter on the rear head breather?

·
Registered
2016 Touring Elite
1,585 Posts
Is there a filter on the rear head breather?
Not a separate one - it is part of the already filtered intake air, plumbed in to the main intake tube.

-Charlie

Reactions: chrisholstine
21 - 40 of 61 Posts