Honda Odyssey Forum banner

41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Odyssey EX
2,393 Posts
It's Zeta II, developed by Holden Australia. Bigger, better, stiffer, and used the E39 BMW M5 (and hired many of it's engineers) as a benchmark.

The Comparison: 2003 BMW M5 vs. 2015 Chevrolet SS (roadandtrack.com)

At the time, General Motors was facing yet another bankruptcy because of poor decisions, so as a response they decided to kill off their highest quality manufacturer, Holden Australia. As a response to that, Holden went all-in on refining a platform that was better than GM's bloated and hideously expensive Alpha platform for a fraction of the cost.

The succeeded wildly, and garnered the praise of every car publication in existence and a huge cult following, so naturally GM shit the bed anyway and shut down all manufacturing in Australia as a result.
I always wished the Chevy SS had been available in Canada but it was never offered up here. I thought they were an ideal dual-purpose car - comfy when you have a few people with you and a ton of fun when you're all by yourself. 😎

·
Registered
2014 EX-L • 63k • BC coilovers
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Don’t believe anyone answered this question but I could be wrong because this thread is huge. How much power can the stock tranny take?

·
Registered
2013 Ody Touring with 125 on it, never wrecked, escaped VCM so far...
28 Posts
I always wished the Chevy SS had been available in Canada but it was never offered up here. I thought they were an ideal dual-purpose car - comfy when you have a few people with you and a ton of fun when you're all by yourself. 😎
I'm not gonna lie, my dude. It's basically a copy of the legendary E39 M5 but with all 2015 updates, (formerly) a warranty, and a bulletproof GM crate motor drivetrain. Wanna buy mine? You won't have to worry about messing up the paint (further). :LOL:

As for the transmission, I get the feeling that the Oddys are like the first gen WRX manuals: The transmission's power handling limit is about 30 HP less than the car makes stock. That weak link as well as the brakes means that my Oddy won't ever be my son's first car.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
I'm not gonna lie, my dude. It's basically a copy of the legendary E39 M5 but with all 2015 updates, (formerly) a warranty, and a bulletproof GM crate motor drivetrain. Wanna buy mine? You won't have to worry about messing up the paint (further). :LOL:

As for the transmission, I get the feeling that the Oddys are like the first gen WRX manuals: The transmission's power handling limit is about 30 HP less than the car makes stock. That weak link as well as the brakes means that my Oddy won't ever be my son's first car.
seems to be the case for every honda nowadays. gotta get that TL type s manual like bisimoto lol
Looks like I’m back to going wheels and tires first then back to brakes.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
While on the topic actually, does anyone know of any non powertrain related mods other than coilovers? any sway bars fit our vans?

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
While on the topic actually, does anyone know of any non powertrain related mods other than coilovers? any sway bars fit our vans?
Not really. Sienna have like strut tower braces. These van could use that.

·
Registered
2013 Ody Touring with 125 on it, never wrecked, escaped VCM so far...
28 Posts
Man, I get you, but I'm not sure these vans take to mods, and I mean it's a minivan so this sounds ludicrous anyway. But like, with my own new van, I guess I'm lucky in some respects. For example the color is okay, but yellow enough that it works with chrome and not blackout so much. The wheels look good enough and are in good condition. The stereo sounds acceptable when tuned right, and there's 12 speakers so you'd spend 2500+ dollars to make it any better.

The intake is already great. I actually love the stock shocks for striking the perfect balance between comfort and responsiveness. An exhaust wouldn't add hardly any power, probably adds drone, and sounds weird on YouTube anyway.

Basically it's about solid AF as soon as i fix the brakes and maybe get a tranny cooler.
EDIT: Oh I guess I did delete the “touring” badge.

·
Registered
2016 Touring Elite
1,585 Posts
As for the transmission, I get the feeling that the Oddys are like the first gen WRX manuals: The transmission's power handling limit is about 30 HP less than the car makes stock.
Only if you didn't know how to drive... I ran about 350 crank HP through mine for 70k+ miles until I crashed it on the track (~180k total miles). Shifted like it did driving off the lot until its final day.

There are a few guys on the Pilot/Ridgeline forums pushing the engine/trans platform - but I think they have ECU tuning support from Hondata or whoever... Go check out what they are doing... There just aren't to many on here that are really modding these vans.

-Charlie

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
The ECU / PCM is the reason most wont (or cant) mod these things.

if enough people approached Hondata with these type of requests, they will make stock tunes for the J35 / Odyssey.
That's their business...

I have a hondata flashpro for my acura, they arent cheap but come with very good support.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
The ECU / PCM is the reason most wont (or cant) mod these things.

if enough people approached Hondata with these type of requests, they will make stock tunes for the J35 / Odyssey.
That's their business...

I have a hondata flashpro for my acura, they arent cheap but come with very good support.
Hondata won't do sh1t for the vans. Inquiry was made, nothing is expected out of that company for the vans.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Only if you didn't know how to drive... I ran about 350 crank HP through mine for 70k+ miles until I crashed it on the track (~180k total miles). Shifted like it did driving off the lot until its final day.

There are a few guys on the Pilot/Ridgeline forums pushing the engine/trans platform - but I think they have ECU tuning support from Hondata or whoever... Go check out what they are doing... There just aren't to many on here that are really modding these vans.

-Charlie
Charlie, was it boosted? if so drop some pics lol

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Man, I get you, but I'm not sure these vans take to mods, and I mean it's a minivan so this sounds ludicrous anyway. But like, with my own new van, I guess I'm lucky in some respects. For example the color is okay, but yellow enough that it works with chrome and not blackout so much. The wheels look good enough and are in good condition. The stereo sounds acceptable when tuned right, and there's 12 speakers so you'd spend 2500+ dollars to make it any better.

The intake is already great. I actually love the stock shocks for striking the perfect balance between comfort and responsiveness. An exhaust wouldn't add hardly any power, probably adds drone, and sounds weird on YouTube anyway.

Basically it's about solid AF as soon as i fix the brakes and maybe get a tranny cooler.
EDIT: Oh I guess I did delete the “touring” badge.
View attachment 162335
View attachment 162336
it’s so disappointing because
Hondata won't do sh1t for the vans. Inquiry was made, nothing is expected out of that company for the vans.
“we have no plans to offer flashpro for the odyssey” 😔😔😔😔😔😔😔

·
Registered
2016 Touring Elite
1,585 Posts
Charlie, was it boosted? if so drop some pics lol
Built motors don't make for very good pictures... :D

The '89 Camry Alltrac is more interesting, with its swapped 2L turbo engine, 5-speed, etc. I still own and drive that one:

So, I have some experience with both well supported platforms and completely non-supported platforms...

-Charlie

41 - 60 of 61 Posts