Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking perhaps I could take a different approach to the problem of Honda not currently making a mapping DVD for Europe (it surely can't be long before they come out with one, since Honda is more of a luxury brand in Europe than it is in the U.S., and the lack of a NAV option is going to be hurting their sales)...

Does anyone know - if I were to buy the Odyssey with factory NAV, would it be possible to then add in an aftermarket NAV unit (say, the DVD one from Alpine), BUT plug it into the factory installed screen?

Would it be possible to do so in a way that wouldn't destroy the factory NAV unit, so that when Honda-branded software does become available, I could simply switch to the factory system, and sell the aftermarket one?

As you can see, I am new to this whole NAV question, but I have always enjoyed having NAV in rental vehicles and really would like to have that capability with this new Odyssey.

Thanks,

David

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
In the minimum, you can get the screen to work with an aftermarket navi unit.

I know that at least one manufacturer's aftermarket navi units (Pioneer) have RGB output, which you should be able to tap directly into the factory screen. (not sure if the Alpines have RGB or just composite video out though!)

Alternatively, you could do the "video-on-my-navi" conversion to convert your navi screen to accept composite input. Then the factory screen is just a video monitor, and you could do anything you like.

Keep in mind you'd loose alot of the cool features of the Honda navi unit, as mentioned in some of the threads talking about aftermarket vs. oem navi. I don't think it would be straighforward making the controls work with an aftermarket navi unit.

Perhaps others with more navi experience can add more.

-SJ

------------------
DEP '01 EX no-navi

[This message has been edited by shinjohn (edited 08-16-2001).]

·
1,484 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by shinjohn:
I'm sure you can do this David.

Though I'm not a navi expert, I know that at least one manufacturer's aftermarket navi units (Pioneer) have RGB output, which you should be able to tap directly into the factory screen. (not sure if the Alpines have RGB or just composite video out though!)

Alternatively, you could do the "video-on-my-navi" conversion to convert your navi screen to accept composite input. Then the factory screen is just a video monitor, and you could do anything you like.

Keep in mind you'd loose alot of the cool features of the Honda navi unit, as mentioned in some of the threads talking about aftermarket vs. oem navi.

Perhaps others with more navi experience can add more.

-SJ

</font>
"Display-wise" I think you could but "Control-wise" I don't know. Alpine might have changed some of the control functions on their aftermarket units. For instance: Aftermarket display/control units do not have touch-screen capabilities like the Hondas/Acuras.

-Nestor

------------------

2000 CCS EX-NAVI

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by nemogira:
"Display-wise" I think you could but "Control-wise" I don't know. Alpine might have changed some of the control functions on their aftermarket units. For instance: Aftermarket display/control units do not have touch-screen capabilities like the Hondas/Acuras.

-Nestor

</font>
Nestor,
Looks like you're faster at responding than I am in editing! I edited my message right after posting, and you still managed to quote my original text! I'm spending WAY too much time on this forum...

------------------
DEP '01 EX no-navi

·
1,484 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by shinjohn:
Nestor,
Looks like you're faster at responding than I am in editing! I edited my message right after posting, and you still managed to quote my original text! I'm spending WAY too much time on this forum...

</font>
Yup, quickest hands in the West!

But seriously, I DO spend too much time here. 900+ postings is a tad too much don't cha think?

-Nestor

1 - 6 of 6 Posts