Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I guess I'm feeling a little dumb.

I took delivery on my '02 Ody a week ago and now that I've had to go do a few things in it, deep down I'm thinking I should have gotten Navi. I could really use it.

BUT--I don't want leather, and didn't want to pay for leather, so Navi would still have been *really* prohibitively expensive if I *had* gotten it.

So my question: Does anyone know of or recommend a good aftermarket Navi system? Are they as good as the Honda system? Better?

Is it at all possible to have the "stock" Honda Navi system installed after purchase?

If not, is there a particular head unit that can pop out a motorized flip-out screen that someone recommends?

I guess I have some choices to make...I'd like to keep the steering wheel controls in my EX usable, but I'd also like Navi, perhaps Cassette, maybe be able to use it for DVD or some external source...I guess I'm asking for too much!

At any rate--the main question: Aftermarket Navi? Accessory Navi? Any recommendations?

Thanks!

------------------
RW
'02 SS EX
'89 Red Mazda B2200
'86 Gray Acura Legend (Tranny going out--replacing with Ody!)
'84 Honda V500 Interceptor Motorcycle
Past 'Fav: '86 Honda Prelude Si (totalled by an idiot from behind)

·
Registered
147 Posts
Pioneer and the Alpine are the best but you will be paying the Piper for them. Very good units and work well.

DanDan

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DanDan:
Pioneer and the Alpine are the best but you will be paying the Piper for them. Very good units and work well.

DanDan
</font>
Particular Model numbers & your thoughts about what features make them so good (compared to others, or the Honda system) would be great.

Should I have just eaten the extra $ and got it stock on the Ody to begin with?

All by itself, it wouldn't have been so bad, but you have to get it with Leather too, which made it prohibitive. $3,500 extra instead of $2,000 extra!

Thanks!

------------------
RW
'02 SS EX
'89 Red Mazda B2200
'86 Gray Acura Legend (Tranny going out--replacing with Ody!)
'84 Honda V500 Interceptor Motorcycle
Past 'Fav: '86 Honda Prelude Si (totalled by an idiot from behind)

·
1,484 Posts
Well Alpine makes the Honda/Acura Navigation systems - so the closest thing to the Honda DVD Navi unit is the Alpine NVE-N852A (this is just the NAVI unit, monitor not included). This can cost around $1000-$2000 alone. Plus you would have to buy the indash headunit/monitor to control it (also $1000-$2000).

Someone mentioned Pioneer just released a Navigation System that can also play DVD movies. That'll save you some space (although I'm not sure about the co$T).

I think I'm the only one who has attempted to install a "stock" Honda Navi unit into my EX. I got the junction harness, display & navi unit through ebay. After several months I'm about 98% finished. But still not able to get the Vehicle Speed Sensor working properly and also working on a new configuration to get the navi voice through my aftermarket headunit. So I highly recommend not doing this.

So my advice is either get an 2002 EX-L w/ NAVI and swap the leather w/ cloth...or try to find a deal on either Alpine or Pioneer systems

-Nestor

------------------

2000 CCS EX-NAVI

[This message has been edited by nemogira (edited 09-14-2001).]

[This message has been edited by nemogira (edited 09-17-2001).]

·
Registered
564 Posts
Nestor -

Man, I'm glad I orderwd a Navi!
- Darell

·
Registered
564 Posts
Yeah, well...we all know what I meant to say too...

Too many margaritas, I guess.

Who's brilliant idea was it to put the 'e' and the 'w' so close together on the keyboard anyway?

- Darell

------------------

1 - 9 of 9 Posts