Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have searched and can't seem to find a recommended aftermarket PS Cooler that has outlets that go in opposite directions to fit the 2005. All of the threads that I find relate to the 1999-2004 models that run both lines back towards the passenger side. I plan to install an aftermarket ATF Cooler and the stock PS cooler is in the way so I thought I would replace that too at the same time.

Any help would be great.

Thanks,
Pete

·
Registered
296 Posts
Pete,

I installed a TruCool LPD-4454 trans cooler in my 2005, and mounted it near the top of the radiator, which meant the PS cooler wasn't displaced. Nor did I replace it. TruCool has some smaller coolers that I would consider for the PS, but I've never gotten around to it.

There was some great work done by a fellow club member on PS temps and he learned that it was RPM that caused higher temps, nothing else. The stock cooler may well do the job.

However, if you need to tow in D3, running the rpm's much higher, then that's another story.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Papa's,

Thanks for the reply. That is the same cooler that I just ordered. I didn't think about installing in at the top. Do you think that there is a possibility of the pump having a hard time pumping the fluid up to the top of the cooler with it located up there? I think it's a great idea, because I really wanted to keep the PS Cooler stock since I very rarely tow my small trailer.

Thanks again.

Pete

·
Registered
8,287 Posts
Pete, do not worry about a lack of pressure...the internal fluid circuits run at or over 100psi. The tranny's fluid cooling circuit is probably over 70psi. You could mount the cooler on your roof, and still have it work properly.

Wish I'd gotten one of those Tru-Cool LPD 4544's...probably the best result in terms of dollars spent and installation ease of any cooler out there.

OF

·
Registered
32 Posts
Papa, or whoever can help.

Doing a search of the trans cooler topics leads to a huge load of Gen2 trans cooler install how to's. How did you go about installing that? Did you have a guide you followed or did you just go in blind?

Any help is appreciated!

BB.

·
Registered
296 Posts
BB, It's been, what, 5 years now, so details getting fuzzy. The biggest issue in installing the LPD-4454 is mounting it. They provide some straps to tie it to the radiator, I suppose that works, I didn't like it however. I mounted it top right corner (looking at radiator), to best align with grill opening. I ended up making a L bracket that reached down to the cross member and that gave me a solid bottom mount. To secure the top, I expoxied some bolts to the radiator, that seemed to work ok. You might figure out something better.
After that, my concern was determining which trans pipe was in and out, and frankly, I don't remember so won't misslead you. You want to come out the trans cooler in the radiator, then to the external cooler, then back to the trans. I used the screw type hose clamps, but a while back, I noticed some leakage and snugged them up. The squeeze type might be better.
The biggest grief I had was removing the plastic panels under the engine, it seemed to me that some of those clips weren't designed to be removed, so ended up breaking some off. Play with the clips on the grill, concept is simple, but if you pull the pin too hard, it jams again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts