Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
No, but the reply you got from n4frim on Yahoo got me thinking. If there's no rear anti-sway bar on the Ody, the addition of one would make a hell of a difference in the amount of body roll.

I spent a few minutes looking for suppliers of anti-sway bars and so far have found no applications for the Odyssey.

Any ideas from anyone? Any known problems with adding an anti-sway bar to the rear of an Ody?

------------------
Chuck
Ody Pictures and Projects

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
I juuuuuust happen to know the person that developed the sway bars for the SE-R at Suspension Techniques.

I'll write him and see if he can do something for us.

------------------
Jim
'01 GG EX

·
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Anti-sway bars would be great. But it would be very hard to find. If at all they exist. As I posted in the Yahoo club it seems my rear shocks are a bit worned out because of the heavy weight I used to carry. Now my rear tires briefly lose contact with the road when turning quickly. So if anybody finds some shocks please let me know.

------------------
- nemogira

·
Registered
49 Posts
I think Bilstein makes some. Do a search for Bilstein and you'll come across many online sources for them.

------------------
'96 Odyssey, 245,000Kms and a
'90 Accord, 211,000Kms

·
Registered
114 Posts
Controlling body roll is one thing - but if you stiffen up the rear without corresponding adjustments to the front, you upset the handling balance of the car and can make the car understeer a lot more...

·
Registered
596 Posts
Stiffening the rear roll rate will NOT cause more understeer. On the contrary, it will cause the understeer to be less noticeable and give the van a great feeling. I have added rear ANTI-ROLL bars (sway bars are something else) to several cars and have never been disappointed. One also gets improved steering response, which the Odyssey can use, in my view.

In the absence of an anti-roll bar for the rear, the use of Air-Lifts to stiffen the rear roll rate is another way to go. It is not a great solution, since it increases the effective spring rate and will roughen the ride somewhat. The feel, however, will be about the same. I speak from experience on this point as well. I hope this helps.

Jerry O.
2001 GG LX

·
Registered
478 Posts
Jerry O is correct- increasing anti-roll stiffness on the rear will tend to reduce understeer. Depending on the specific car, this may or may not be desirable. Understeer at the limit is generally considered to be safer for the majority of drivers, so that is how most cars are engineered. Front heavy vehicles tend to understeer (or plow) by nature due to weight balance. My Accord has both front and rear sway bar upgrade (Suspension Techniques) among other things and the handling is quite neutral for a front drive car. I would say on the Ody, a stiffer anti-roll bar would be beneficial, hopefully someone will produce one and we can all find out!
By the way, the terms "sway bar" and "anti-roll bar" are used interchangeably, although anti-roll is the more accurate term IMO.

------------------
On the waiting list for my '02 EX Nav in RED!

[This message has been edited by ody (edited 08-18-2001).]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts