Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone been able to get an aftermarket smart key installed? I will have 4 children 3 and under soon. Going to get the 2011 or 2012 Honda Odyssey Touring because of the number of LATCHes as all my children are still in car seats and none in boosters. The only downfall is no smart key... this would be really handy for a mom with TWIN infant car seats in both hands or a toddler's hand in both hands... oye vay! Anyway, it seems convenient for someone in my position and would love to get this installed. Has anyone been able to get an aftermarket smart key installed? How much was it? Where did you get it done? I found a kit online for $500, but when I call the Honda service department here to ask about it, they seem really confused (they are thinking remote start or just a different key with the buttons). I'm talking about the smart key that Nissan and Toyota have, where you don't have to dig the keys out of the diaper bag or purse to unlock the doors.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Are you looking to just unlock the doors, or start the car too? I am guessing that unlocking the doors would be easier to retro-fit.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you looking to just unlock the doors, or start the car too? I am guessing that unlocking the doors would be easier to retro-fit.
Unlocking doors is most important to me, but I will take both, but like I said, unlocking doors without pulling out the key is most important. Any ideas?

·
Registered
786 Posts
Although I am not familiar with any of the aftermarket systems, I think that it might just be easier to look into the seating configurations of the Sienna or Quest. It seems as though it would need to be very integrated to give a useful and secure method operation. If you really want to try and look into this, I would suggest you look into salvaging a system used in a late model Acura. I think it would still be a rather complicated job, but I know a lot of the equipment is shared.
Since I don't have kids, you will have to forgive me for asking this next question since I know everyone else here is probably very familiar, but here it goes. What is the benefit of the LATCH system? I know how it works and I have read about it, but from what I have found, it is supposed to be easier to install than traditional seats, but not necessarily safer. I have installed both kinds of seats in my van a couple of times and from what I can tell, the LATCH system was way harder. So unless it is safer, I don't see the benefit.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Although I am not familiar with any of the aftermarket systems, I think that it might just be easier to look into the seating configurations of the Sienna or Quest. It seems as though it would need to be very integrated to give a useful and secure method operation. If you really want to try and look into this, I would suggest you look into salvaging a system used in a late model Acura. I think it would still be a rather complicated job, but I know a lot of the equipment is shared.
Since I don't have kids, you will have to forgive me for asking this next question since I know everyone else here is probably very familiar, but here it goes. What is the benefit of the LATCH system? I know how it works and I have read about it, but from what I have found, it is supposed to be easier to install than traditional seats, but not necessarily safer. I have installed both kinds of seats in my van a couple of times and from what I can tell, the LATCH system was way harder. So unless it is safer, I don't see the benefit.
Always got a better fit with our car seats using the LATCH system versus seat belts. And always able to install and uninstall for clean up quicker and easier. It's really my husband's preference.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Latch system allows for a much more secure and tighter fit for the car seats and seat bases. When using the seat Belts I can never get it to be as secure as the latch. It's a much safer way to instal car seats

·
Registered
507 Posts
Latch system allows for a much more secure and tighter fit for the car seats and seat bases. When using the seat Belts I can never get it to be as secure as the latch. It's a much safer way to instal car seats
This is incorrect. LATCH does not create a safer install. The LATCH system is not safer than seatbelts. Many LATCH systems have weight limits that need to be considered. Also, remember that hen using a forward facing seat you must always tether it when using LATCH. Otherwise the seat is not being used correctly.

I am a car seat tech and I use seatbelts on most of my installs. I can I install just as well with seatbelt or LATCH.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I know this is kinda old, but if u want to unlock doors, u can get a Compustar 2way alarm installed... A few of the models have an option where it will automatically arm the alarm and lock the doors when u a certain distance away from the car, un-arm and unlock the doors when your within the distance. The downfall to this option is what if where your going isn't far enough from the car, then the alarm will never arm. But with my old civic with is alarm installed, the car parked in a de-attached garage, walking about 25feet away armed the car.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I think it would be too integrated to be put in easily. I'd prolly look into a Sienna. The Quest doesn't seem to have families with small children in mind.

I know it's more convenient, but is it that much more? I don't find that it is. It's helpful if I forget to look for the keys at the last minute, but I still need to set down a car seat or let go of a toddler's hand (and risk them running off). I have keyless on my Lexus. I don't find it that much more convenient than remembering to grab the keys and stick a finger through a key ring. Either way, I got free up a hand to grab the door handle to open. At that point, not a big deal to hit the button on the remote. At least with the Honda remote, if you do it this way, you can remotely open the side doors (if you have an EX or above). The main problem of having to set down a car seat or let go of a toddler's hand is still there.

What would really be helpful is the keyless option connected to a sensor at the bottom of the car. They have this currently on some cars, but only for the trunk/rear hatch. You wave your foot under the bumper, and it opens the trunk for you. They should add this to the sides of the car and open at least the rear sliding doors if you wave your foot under the car.

And LATCH can be a lot more convenient and/or easier to use than a seat belt. Depends on the seat of course, but in general, it's easier to use properly. That's the key. Prolly 90% of parents install the car seat wrong. If it's installed improperly, the safety benefits disappear. Anything that makes it easier to install a seat properly means that many more kids will be better protected. Nice to have more good options. Particularly in a center seat position where the roof mounted belt can be awkward and cause sightline issues.

·
Registered
427 Posts
This is incorrect. LATCH does not create a safer install. The LATCH system is not safer than seatbelts. Many LATCH systems have weight limits that need to be considered. Also, remember that hen using a forward facing seat you must always tether it when using LATCH. Otherwise the seat is not being used correctly.

I am a car seat tech and I use seatbelts on most of my installs. I can I install just as well with seatbelt or LATCH.
Agreed. Latch usually has a max limit of around 50 pounds where as the seatbelt doesn't (within reason).

·
Registered
427 Posts
I think it would be too integrated to be put in easily. I'd prolly look into a Sienna. The Quest doesn't seem to have families with small children in mind.

I know it's more convenient, but is it that much more? I don't find that it is. It's helpful if I forget to look for the keys at the last minute, but I still need to set down a car seat or let go of a toddler's hand (and risk them running off). I have keyless on my Lexus. I don't find it that much more convenient than remembering to grab the keys and stick a finger through a key ring. Either way, I got free up a hand to grab the door handle to open. At that point, not a big deal to hit the button on the remote. At least with the Honda remote, if you do it this way, you can remotely open the side doors (if you have an EX or above). The main problem of having to set down a car seat or let go of a toddler's hand is still there.

What would really be helpful is the keyless option connected to a sensor at the bottom of the car. They have this currently on some cars, but only for the trunk/rear hatch. You wave your foot under the bumper, and it opens the trunk for you. They should add this to the sides of the car and open at least the rear sliding doors if you wave your foot under the car.

And LATCH can be a lot more convenient and/or easier to use than a seat belt. Depends on the seat of course, but in general, it's easier to use properly. That's the key. Prolly 90% of parents install the car seat wrong. If it's installed improperly, the safety benefits disappear. Anything that makes it easier to install a seat properly means that many more kids will be better protected. Nice to have more good options. Particularly in a center seat position where the roof mounted belt can be awkward and cause sightline issues.
Yes, Latch can make it more convenient or easier to install vs a seat belt. But it's not any safer than the seatbelt. Latch ends around 50 pounds or so. Latch car seats can be installed improperly as well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts