Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 Ody with 68K miles on it. Just had the belts and plug replaced, along with trans oil. This was done by a reputable local mechanic, who used aftermarket plugs.

Today I took the car into a dealer to have some warranty work done (one of the doors was sticking). Coincidentially, the emissions light came on this morning. The dealer says the aftermarket plugs are causing the emissions light to go on and that the car could fail an emissions test. He wants $300 to install new OEM plugs.

Any truth to what he's saying?

Thanks

·
Registered
6,076 Posts
It is well documented that spark plugs other than the OEM NGK Platinums will give you problems. You can buy them online for $90-100 for all 6 and DIY.

68K and 6 years is a little early for a timing belt change IMO. Usually Honda recommends 7 yrs or 105K miles, whichever comes first. I use 9-10 yrs and 105K miles, whichever comes first. At any rate, look at it as being safe than sorry as this is an interference engine and a broken timing belt will bend valves.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Buy the plugs yourself and take it back to your mechanic. It should not cost you anywhere near $300.

Saying "emission light came on" does not tell us much. Did the dealer write down the code?

·
Registered
318 Posts
The dealer says the aftermarket plugs are causing the emissions light to go on

Any truth to what he's saying?
it is possible, yes, especially if they are Bosch brand plugs.

I would put nothing but NGK brand into a Honda. (maybe Denso if I had no choice, but nothing else)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts