Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 2007 Odyssey EX-L with the rear entertainment system. I would like to install an aftermarket stereo with an iPod or aux input and/or a GPS navigation.

However, I want to make sure that the aftermarket stereo is compatible with the rear entertainment system. Specifically, I would like to listen to the stereo while my kids watch a movie with their headphones.

Does anyone have experience doing this? Do you have an aftermarket stereo to recommend?

Thanks,
Jeremy

·
Registered
606 Posts
I'm guessing but the headphone signal comes from overhead. The DVD signal...not sure if it goes through the head unit for processing or not. I know its an option for the sound system obviously.

It will be interesting to see what the deal is. I take it you searched for this already? You know you'll get asked....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did do some searching, but didn't find anybody who had any ideas. Of course, I could have missed something.

I know the DVD player is a separate unit from the CD and radio unit. However, the buttons that control where the sound goes (speakers or headphones) is part of the CD unit. That's what makes me reluctant to tear it out and put something in its place.

·
Registered
2 Posts
change head unit possib? entertainment

I have a 2008 odyssey and want to know if I can change the head unit and hook the rear entertainment package directly to the new head unit - I plan on using a pioneer unit that has dual zone. I have been told this cant be done...

I have 2008 odyssey, leather non navigation with OEM entertainment DVD player and XM radio head unit. There is a back up camera as well, but it uses the mirror. As far as I know it was all OEM when I bought the van new - nothing aftermarket.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just posted a similar question - I am looking to do the same thing. I am not sure as the factory head unit controls the rear screen, and DVD. I would assume a system that has 2 zone should be able to do this - but I have looked everywhere and can't get an answer - except from Crutchfield and they say it can't be done.

Any help is welcome!

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have some idea about this but did not try yet. You can buy an aftermaket radio/media player like this:
Idol 1DIN LCD 7 TOUCH SCREEN CAR DVD MEDIA Player Radio iPod Bluetooth USB | eBay
There are many variable like with GPS, can play MKV file, camera, radio, bluetooth etc the price is also depend on what you want but basically you want 1 din 7 inch media player + whatever you want.
The next step is remove the tray under the climate control and above the cup holder. I measure it and it extract 1 din. When the screen out the access to climate control is a little bit harder but not impossible. Now just connect the video/audio to the AUX in put of the car. The beauty of the mod is:
1. Minimal work.
2. Retain all other features of the car and totally reverible.
3. The screen is retractable and tillable so when you dont need it in take minimal space and you can change angle of screen also.
4. Can hook up to backup camera.
Just my 2 cent.

·
Registered
2 Posts
did you find a aftermarket stereo compatible with your rear entertainment system? I was told that my dvd player wont work if i added a aftermarket stereo.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I never did find anything, but I didn't look very hard either. After everyone posted saying it wasn't possible without losing the built-in system, I stopped looking.

·
Registered
11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Bump - it's now 2019 - anything out there yet that is compatible with keeping my dvd entertainment going? If even something that i could send the video back to the screen - don't necessarily need the DVD player to work since the units out there now seem to drive all the video I could want!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts