Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are about to inherit my father in law's 1999 Odyssey as a backup vehicle, and I have been suffering for a few years now without a tow-capable vehicle. My utility trailer is overflowing.

I would like to upgrade to a 3500 lb towing capacity (I also have a bowrider with trailer) and I would like to know what if anything would be included in a factory tow package beyond wiring/hitch (WDH? airbags? and, external trans cooler? I understand as well that an annual trans fluid replacement is recommended generally. There seems to be a good variety of aftermarket hitches available for this vehicle.

Stephen

·
Registered
8,451 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

AFAIK, the factory tow package included only the wiring harness, hitch, ATF cooler and PS cooler. The OE ATF cooler has insufficient capacity for towing. An aftermarket unit would be better.

Several members have had positive experience with both air bags and weight distributing hitches. The Ody is definitely soft on its rear springs.

Yes, frequent ATF changes are a very good idea. (A change replaces only about 1/3 of the total fluid capacity.) Changing it every second oil change would not be overdoing it when using the van to tow. Use the best Honda-compatible synthetic fluid that you can find.

Dave

·
Registered
7,359 Posts
Welcome to the forum!
+1

AFAIK, the factory tow package included only the wiring harness, hitch, ATF cooler and PS cooler. The OE ATF cooler has insufficient capacity for towing. An aftermarket unit would be better.
+1

The Ody is definitely soft on its rear springs.
+1

Changing it every second oil change would not be overdoing it when using the van to tow. Use the best Honda-compatible synthetic fluid that you can find.
+1

I just should have posted, "do what dave says". :D

Welcome!

OF

1 - 4 of 4 Posts