Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there!

First Post out here ever. Done plenty of reading though. Thanks!

OK, I have a 2008 Odyssey and live in Wisconsin. We are looking to buy a pop-up camper and expect to be towing 2500-3000lbs I’m guessing. I’ve done some reading and read an extensive article a form member posted on aftermarket Transmission cooler kits. My question to you is: Is anyone concerned about the transmission cooling down too much in winter climates with these aftermarket, multiple turn tube transmission coolers? I’ve also read that some have a cool weather bypass but can this really be trusted in a $50-75 component?

It seems from a quality perspective that after market are designed to cool better, but less convenient to install. The OEM are simple, easy to install, less risk for freezing issues, but are really expensive and seem to be less effective.

Thanks for the posts!

·
Registered
301 Posts
I would not guess which cooler cools better. But Honda installs its cooler after the in tank one.

And it's pretty cool at -25C at the bottom of the radiator!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey, Brent

You should look into installing Tru-Cool LPD cooler instead of a Honda OEM part. It has a bypass feature for winter and it's a stacked plate style. These are better quality, thicker, cooler better than tube and fin style. These also add about half a litre of ATF to the system which should also help it last longer.
But most importantly, use Synlube stuff in your vehicle(synlube.com). You may not need to modify your Ody. You can use it for years with changing it. Great for mileage (8% improvement), cold and hot weather protection.
This stuff has saved me countless hours of not changing oil, filters, not to mention $$.
I live in northern Canada (-40 celsius in January) and have used it for years in my 4runner (160, 000 km) without any problems.
I was skeptical at first reading all the materials on the site but after using conventional oil, Amsoil (+bypass option) I can say this the best. Keep an open mind!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts