Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have experience installing an aftermarket transmission oil cooler instead of the Honda version?

It seems to me that the Honda cooler is awfully simple and terribly expensive. Aftermarket coolers appear to be about 1/5 the price, although probably not as easy to install, especially if you don't want to attach through the radiator (I haven't checked to see if this is even practical).

Since the van is so light (relative to other possible tow vehicles) and the towing capacity is relatively low, it seems like just about any decent cooler should work fine.

I'll appreciate you comments.

Mel

·
Registered
342 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Mel:
Does anyone have experience installing an aftermarket transmission oil cooler instead of the Honda version?

It seems to me that the Honda cooler is awfully simple and terribly expensive. Aftermarket coolers appear to be about 1/5 the price, although probably not as easy to install, especially if you don't want to attach through the radiator (I haven't checked to see if this is even practical).

Since the van is so light (relative to other possible tow vehicles) and the towing capacity is relatively low, it seems like just about any decent cooler should work fine.

I'll appreciate you comments.

Mel
</font>
Hi Mel,

Adding a transmission oil cooler isn't a big deal whether you're talking the Honda branded version or an aftermarket one. It's simply a matter of connecting the accessory between the oil return from the radiator and the return line that used to be connected to it. I've done this before and the process took about 20 minutes. I can't say for how long it would take with the Ody as I've not crawled under mine yet.

I wouldn't consider bypassing the transmission oil cooler built into the radiator. I'm pretty sure the accessory oil coolers are designed to work in concert "with" the radiator and not as a replacement for it.

Drive Safe,
Steve

[This message has been edited by Intrepid175 (edited 06-28-2001).]

·
Registered
865 Posts
I tried a stack-type tranny cooler from Pep-Boys just to save money. It was mounted between AC condenser and radiator and it rubbed a hole on the radiator.
Result? $333 for a new radiator, 1 gallon of Honda coolant and 1 Saturday afternoon.
I now have Honda tranny cooler. Even if I had the cooler mounted in front of AC condenser. The inlet and return hoses will still be rubbing between the radiator and body frame.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have an aftermarket tranny cooler and ley me tell you. mounting it in front of the ac condensed does make the lines rub against the radiator or the core support. If you moint the aftrermarket cooler cleser to the center it should solve that problem but you will need to purchase longer hoses to attach it to the radiator. I might get the honda one now after i save up enough. damn why is it so expensive!! hee hee

1 - 4 of 4 Posts