Honda Odyssey Forum banner

Aftermarket version of True Touchscreen?

2K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  Hodna 
#1 ·
Love my new 2020 EX-L overall. But I am absolutely not happy with the center touchscreen. Reaching for virtual buttons while driving is annoying as all get out. Is there an aftermarket version of True touchpad or an idrive type controller to allow one to navigate the touchscreen? Thank you! Mike

#2 ·
Not sure what those are, but one thing that helped us enjoy our touchscreen was going into screen settings and changing from low touch sensitivity to high sensitivity. It acts a lot more like a cell phone screen.

Reactions: NorcalMike
#3 ·
Thanks very much for the tip, I will try adjusting the touch sensitivity!

I spent some time online trying to figure out the generic term for what I was referring to. Basically a mouse/touchpad input device as an alternative to the touchscreen. For example, "True Touchscreen" is the trackpad-like controller in the 2019 acura rdx, and "idrive" is the BMW menuwheel controller. My wife's Tlx has a similar menuwheel controller, it is extremely intuitive to use.

#4 ·
Thanks very much for the tip, I will try adjusting the touch sensitivity!

I spent some time online trying to figure out the generic term for what I was referring to. Basically a mouse/touchpad input device as an alternative to the touchscreen. For example, "True Touchscreen" is the trackpad-like controller in the 2019 acura rdx, and "idrive" is the BMW menuwheel controller. My wife's Tlx has a similar menuwheel controller, it is extremely intuitive to use.
I went and looked it up too after reading your post, lol. It seems like it's an interesting system, but I see it being difficult to use for most of general population.
Hopefully changing sensitivity helps out!

#6 ·
As wild as it sounds, it may actually work. If you have a track pad - try plugging it in USB port in the center console. Some people reported plugging in a keyboard with some success. It might just work! ?

#7 ·
Following.

I think it would be easier to touch the screen on a bumpy road with a track pad where you could rest your rust or fingers to stabilize your hand.

I like this idea. Please set us know if it works. If I had one sitting around I would give it a shot. I’ll ask family if they have one I could try and let you know if I have any success. Not sure when I’ll find one to try though so don’t wait on me for answers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#9 ·
I'll weigh in as we have both a 2019 RDX and a 2019 Odyssey.

The RDX infotainment screen is positioned much further from the driver than the Odyssey's screen. This makes it easier to glance at while driving, as it's closer to the driver's field of view. The downside is that it's out of reach for most drivers. Other cars with similar setups use a wheel or "laptop-like" touchpad to move a cursor through screen selections. The True Touchpad Interface on the RDX provides 1:1 positioning, so a press in the lower right corner of the touchpad selects the item in the lower right corner of the screen. I think it works well for the RDX setup.

With the Ody's infotainment screen within easy reach, I don't think a similar setup would provide much benefit.

One disappointing aspect of the RDX is that the touchpad reverts to a "laptop-like" interface when running Carplay or Android Auto. You're stuck swiping across the touchpad to move selections around the screen. It's a huge annoyance and potential distraction. I much prefer direct selection of icons on the Odyssey's screen.

My 2 cents...

#10 ·
One disappointing aspect of the RDX is that the touchpad reverts to a "laptop-like" interface when running Carplay or Android Auto. You're stuck swiping across the touchpad to move selections around the screen. It's a huge annoyance and potential distraction. I much prefer direct selection of icons on the Odyssey's screen.
Yes, it is close to being useless in CarPlay and Android Auto, making it more difficult to use in a moving vehicle than a touchscreen.. It also took Honda over a year to bring Android Auto support, allegedly waiting for Google to add support beyond touchscreen and rotary dial input, in the end it was a letdown.

#17 ·
Agreed. I know Honda and other carmakers lock out a lot of the deep option adjustments while the car is in Drive but even with the small number of items available in the center console display, doesn't adjusting these items while driving really border on the same thing as texting while driving? You still have access to a boatload of functions. And then there's the driver console with all its neat things. I never thought about it but voice activation for all these things would be a lot safer.

#13 ·
Thanks for the input folks! I've driven my mom's Lexus RX400 which has a joystick and a couple buttons which is incredibly intuitive (my 81 yr old mom has no problem using it, even if she doesn't know what most of the infotainment functions are, LOL). I will try harder to get by, including switching to iphone from Android (really hope Carplay works better than Android Auto - but truthfully it is probably my overtaxed Galaxy S9+ that is the problem).

Lexus infotainment controller. Super easy and perfectly positioned for use while driving:
Vehicle Car Center console Gear shift

#15 ·
Thanks for the input folks! I've driven my mom's Lexus RX400 which has a joystick and a couple buttons which is incredibly intuitive (my 81 yr old mom has no problem using it, even if she doesn't know what most of the infotainment functions are, LOL). I will try harder to get by, including switching to iphone from Android (really hope Carplay works better than Android Auto - but truthfully it is probably my overtaxed Galaxy S9+ that is the problem).

Lexus infotainment controller. Super easy and perfectly positioned for use while driving:
I have never - ever - heard Toyota/Lexus' system referred to as "easy", much less "super easy".
We decided AGAINST the Lexus ES350 because of this.
Every - EVER - review bashed the usability.
MotorTrend: "And although the optional 12.3-inch central display has crisp graphics, it is frustrating to use. The touchpad is difficult to operate, and there are too many menus and too much toggling required just to select music." > 2019 Lexus ES 350 First Test: Luxury Sedan Revisited - Motor Trend

Car and Driver (re: RX) "In addition to the finicky remote touch pad on the center console, the standard 8.0-inch display screen is now a touchscreen, which should help make things a bit more intuitive." > 2020 Lexus RX Sharpens Its Look and Purports to Fix Its Infotainment Issues

#16 ·
Mazda has been using a really basic and intuitive center-mounted control for several years. It falls nicely at the hand when using the armrest, and avoids the problems associated with all the touch and gesture based based systems used in the premium brands. It's just a rotary knob with a nice feel to it, several hotkeys, and a small mute/volume knob. I find myself using it more often than the steering wheel button.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.