Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting my MB EX-L RES in about 2 weeks from a dealer. I already bought my accessories beforehand, including the air deflector. It looks easy to install. Can anyone confirm the ease of installation? What's impression of the Honda stock deflector? Is it too big? Does it look goofy?

------------------
2002 MB EX-L RES (soon to be)
1997 Honda CR-V
1988 Toyota Corolla

·
Registered
342 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by samw2001:
I'm getting my MB EX-L RES in about 2 weeks from a dealer. I already bought my accessories beforehand, including the air deflector. It looks easy to install. Can anyone confirm the ease of installation? What's impression of the Honda stock deflector? Is it too big? Does it look goofy?

</font>
Hi Samw2001,

I've got the factory bug deflector on me '01 LX. Some have stated that it doesn't help protect the hood and windshield as well as it should but I went ahead a sprang for one after finding two rock chips in my hood and a rock defect in the windshield. I had the windshield repaired at a glass shop in the hopes that it doesn't spread. So far, so good.

I haven't received any other chips in the paint since installing the deflector, so far. The installation was very easy. The main thing you need to be accurate on it the placement of the two support towers on either side of the hood. The three middle brackets can be repositioned but those end supports are there once you stick them down. Mine turned out to be close enough but they're not perfect. I had to hold one end out of line slightly to get the bolt holes to line up. It's not anything you can see, looking at the installation after the fact. I've also had the deflector off the car a couple of time for cleaning (it catchs leaf and road litter very effectively
) and it's much easier to install now. It seems the part had adapted to the slight misalignment after the fact.

As for the looks, I don't think it looks that bad. The Ody isn't a small vehicle so I wouldn't say it's too big. My van is Starlight Silver, the deflector is a dark green (the only color it comes in) and I don't think it looks that out of place. While I wouldn't say it enhances the looks of the van, I don't think it detracts that much either. Then again, I've had it on the Ody for quite a while now and have gotten used to it. FWIW!

------------------
Drive Safe,
Steve R.
'01 SS LX
Cargo tray, leather steering wheel, mud guards, alarm, fog lights, transmission cooler, in-dash CD player, Kelton subwoofer, under seat storage tray.

[This message has been edited by Intrepid175 (edited 01-19-2002).]

·
Registered
251 Posts
I personally find the Honda bug deflector is too porky looking, that's why I went with a aftermarket one. You can see it on my picture hosting page (addy in my sig.)

------------------
Check out our 01 GG EX and 98 Corolla LE, other 02 Odys, and various model cars at http://community.webshots.com/user/ddakrt

·
Registered
197 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DDakRT:
I personally find the Honda bug deflector is too porky looking, that's why I went with a aftermarket one. You can see it on my picture hosting page (addy in my sig.)
</font>
Do you remember which brand you had installed, it looks good.

Do you think it helps against bugs and rocks?

·
Registered
251 Posts
My bug deflector is from FormFit. I have seen a few of them on other Odys so it's fairly common not as common as the Honda or the WeatherTech one though).

As with all bug deflector, it helps with stone chips on the front of the hood, but things still hit the windsheid. I don't think you can really eliminate that.

------------------
Check out our 01 GG EX and 98 Corolla LE, other 02 Odys, and various model cars at http://community.webshots.com/user/ddakrt

·
Registered
596 Posts
If you back up all the time, things will rarely hit the windshield.....Maugham, you out there????

Jerry O.

------------------
2001 Odyssey GG LX

·
Registered
197 Posts
My bug deflector is from FormFit. I have seen a few of them on other Odys so it's fairly common not as common as the Honda or the WeatherTech one though).

As with all bug deflector, it helps with stone chips on the front of the hood, but things still hit the windsheid. I don't think you can really eliminate that.

</font>
I saw those side window visors, they look good too. From the pictures, they look to be closer to the vehicle, and have less wind displacement, than other brands.

Do you notice any extra noise from your bug deflectors and window visors?

Thanks

·
Registered
251 Posts
Those window visors are the WeatherFlectors from WeatherTech. Many people on this board have them.

They are pretty close the the window itself, it shouldn't be more that 3cm. While it doesn't produce as much wind noise as other vent visors, you do still hear it though. The thing is that you should get used to them in about 2 weeks.

------------------

·
Registered
197 Posts
DDakRT,

You know, I haven't found a web site on that formfit hood deflector. Might you have some more information to help me find a low cost supplier?

Thanks

·
Registered
197 Posts
Thanks for the update, DDakRT. I guess I'll start calling the local truck detail places after Wal Mart. I don't see reference to them in google except that people at other forums have bought them for their vehicles. Maybe they'll provide a lead.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Walmart carries the BugflectorI and II, not the FormFit.
I have the BugFlector II and is indistinguishable from the MacNeil. It has mor curves than the FormFit.

Interestingly, The FormFit I had on the CRV I got from a local Honda Dealer! I also know that local dealers (Dalts) carry FormFit for Ody, in addition to the mega$$$ Honda model.

·
Registered
149 Posts
samw2001,

I did some researching about the Honda and aftermarket hood deflectors. I called a Honda dealership and was told the part number is 08PSOX-100 for model years 2000-2002.

Considering the high cost even on the discount web-sites, I looked for an aftermarket solution. macneil.com had one but only for modles up to 2001. I called and asked if it would work for 2002 and they said no. They tried to put on on a 2002 and the hood wouldn't close. They are going to redesign one for 2002. Also I read that the saw the pictures of an install of an aftermarket and a Honda deflector and the person said that the Honda is a much cleaner install.

I highly suggest you verify that an aftermarket part will fit on the 2002 if you plan to buy online. If you are buying locally then you can just return it if it doesn't fit

Well I didn't want to wait 2+ months and save money buy getting the macneil one so I just shopped all the web-sites. After I shopped and found the best price, I called hondaparts4u.com and talked to Amy to see if she would match the prices I found and still allow me free shipping. She looked at her cost and said she would do it. While I was at it, I ordered the mud flaps. So I should be getting my stuff this week I hope.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Those window visors are the WeatherFlectors from WeatherTech. Many people on this board have them.

They are pretty close the the window itself, it shouldn't be more that 3cm. While it doesn't produce as much wind noise as other vent visors, you do still hear it though. The thing is that you should get used to them in about 2 weeks.

</font>
Hey DDakRT,

Do those weatherflectors help keep some of the rain drip from getting in the van. When ever we put our windows down at a post drop box, fast food or whatever, we get a lot of water, much more than any of our previous vehicles.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks Intrepid175 for you comments. I just installed my deflector today. Easy to install. I agree that the deflector does not enhance the look, but it doesn't look bad either. I'm looking at it from a practical standpoint, as long as it helps keep rocks off my winshield, then I'm okay with it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
samw2001,

Do you like the honda air deflector? I've just bought a MB '02 and was thinking about it as well. Do they only come in the darker green tint like was posted earlier? Just wonding what your experience has been. On the Honda Parts For You website it looks like it's not tinted. So I was wondering if this has changed since 2001. Thanks for any info.

Rich

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
ORody said:
samw2001,

Do you like the honda air deflector? I've just bought a MB '02 and was thinking about it as well. Do they only come in the darker green tint like was posted earlier? Just wonding what your experience has been. On the Honda Parts For You website it looks like it's not tinted. So I was wondering if this has changed since 2001. Thanks for any info.

Rich
It does come in green tint (no other option). Order one from HondaPartsForYou and it came broken in half, i canceled the order and few weeks ago, order one from www.macneil.com , they sell the WeatherTech deflector. I like the way the WeatherTech mounts and can be taken off/on anytime. Where as on Honda, you need to tape on two big black post on the hood and can not be taken off/on and 3 clear tape has to be put on the hood to protect it from the metal brakets that holds the deflector. WeatherTech comes in dark black tint(witch i like better) and is half the cost of the Honda deflector. Hope this gives you some options on deflectors.:)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts